Skagway Excursion

svend52

I do!!!!

I just booked a R/T Seattle for myself and my son (age 6) sailing next June. What are the best excursions that you recommend in Skagway? He loves trains, so I think a train ride is a must do, but which one, or how long, take motor coach back or not..these are all things that I have no clue about. Actually, I don't have much of a clue about Alaska period.lol

In Juneau we will be doing a helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier and dog sledding there. Will we have time for anything else while in port?

We have done the train in Skagway and loved it. Our original tour was cancelled and it was the only thing we could get so we were a little leery, but it turned out to be a great excursion. We have also done the Jeep tour and went out to Caribou Cross and Emerald lake. That was wonderful! We got to see some beautiful scenery. We have also done the LiArsville tour. It was fun, but not something I would do again. On our last trip we did the Jewel Gardens glass blowing trip. That was fun, but we were. Little disappointed we didn't have any time to explore the gardens by the time everyone finished their glass piece.

In Juneau we did the zip lining and it was great! You would have to check the time schedule, but I don't know if you would have time to do 2 excursions. On the trip we did zip lining, we did have time to also do the dog sled camp, but we had a long day in Juneau.

• 1 month later...
We're thinking of renting a car in Skagway and driving up to Whitehorse. How long of a trip would this be with numerous stops. Also, we will be traveling the middle of May....what are the usual road conditions on this stretch of road?

We did that a few years ago. We encountered thick fog about halfway up to the summit, visibility was only about 20-25 feet, it was as bad coming back down into Skagway from the summit, a white knuckle drive for sure. Once we hit the summit it was warm and clear all the way to Whitehorse. We only stopped a couple of times and if my memory is correct it was about a 6 or 7 hour drive to Whitehorse and back. You might want to check with the rental car company, I heard last year they’ve put a limit on how far you can drive up the Yukon highway, I believe Emerald lake was about how far you could go.Yes you will hit a lot of road construction in the area around Carcross.

We're thinking of renting a car in Skagway and driving up to Whitehorse. How long of a trip would this be with numerous stops. Also, we will be traveling the middle of May....what are the usual road conditions on this stretch of road?

We are also going in May. I just ordered a copy of Murray's Guide to the Klondike Highway. I think it's $5 for the download. It gives a mile by mile description of the drive. Well worth the $5.00!

I have done a fair amount of research about how to spend the day in Skagway, I have looked at Chilkoot tours and read many reviews about the White Horse & Yukon Rail. I am confused about the train(s), some say unheated and cold others say warm and heated, some say luxury car, some go up and come right back down some go on to Carcross and then bus to Emerald lake.

Are there different train trips or just different cars on same train?

Thanks

I have done a fair amount of research about how to spend the day in Skagway, I have looked at Chilkoot tours and read many reviews about the White Horse & Yukon Rail. I am confused about the train(s), some say unheated and cold others say warm and heated, some say luxury car, some go up and come right back down some go on to Carcross and then bus to Emerald lake.

Thanks

Thee are some luxury cars on the same train for certain excursions. All other cars are the same.

Re. The luxury train car and the price concern, just think of first class on a plane vs coach.....you are going the same place as the rest of the folks, you are just paying more for the amenities.....

Have a nice trip whatever you decide!

DD

:

Thanks

You can see the different train options at the White Pass & Yukon Route web site when you click on Excursions: http://www.wpyr.com. Your basic options are:

1. Round trip White Pass Summit Excursion (40 miles/3-3.5 hours)

2. Round trip Fraser Meadows Steam Excursion (54 miles/4 hours)

3. One way Bennett Scenic Journey to or from Carcross with bus the other direction (120 miles round trip, 67.5 miles by train/8 hours)

4. One way train to or from Fraser with bus the other direction (train 26 miles/1 hour 45 minutes + bus time). The longer (7.5-hour) rail/bus tours go all the way to Carcross, whereas the shorter (3.5-hour) rail/bus tours go only to Fraser.