2 ports on a 7-night; advice for us Conquest passengers?

Sablerose

Hi all,

Well, Carnival in its wisdom has decided to not substitute any new ports in for those of us on the Conquest on Sunday; instead, we're just going to have an extra sea day. That makes four sea days (not including embarkation day) and two port days for us.

Does anybody have any advice or ideas or experience as to what Carnival might do to fill another "fun day at sea" for us? How much will there be to do, or not to do? Will they come up with any new activities or fun things for us to occupy our time onboard?

I'm just sad to not be going to Mexico - our original Elation cruise was all Mexico and Central America itinerary, and now we're going to GC and Jamaica with no stops in Mexico (where my heart is) at all. So I'm trying to buck up, find lots of reasons not to be too disappointed, and get geared up for some extra fun.

Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance -- I'll write a review as soon as we get back! You guys have all been so great with all your help, advice, and support through the whole planning of our first cruise. I only hope I can be as helpful to others in the future. Thanks for letting us be a part of this happy group.

I have a funny story about "at sea" days. A few years ago I was in my TA's office sitting in a chair reading a cruise brochure and waiting my turn. A young man came in and went to the brochure rack and started going through them. The TA, who was with a customer, asked the fellow if she could help him. He said that he was thinking booking a cruise for his honeymoon and wanted to find the cruise with the most port stops. I said, If I was on my honeymoon, I wouldn't care if the ship ever stopped. The TA about rolled in the floor laughing.

Personally, I like the "at sea" days the best. The ports are interesting, but they interrupt the party. I say, just get out early and get a table in the shade, get breakfast and a few bloody Marys. Then get one of the "Drink of the day" and another and another. Then go get lunch, then another.....you get my point. I don't have an opinion if you don't drink....sorry

We keep the same table all day on sea days. We play dominos, eat, drink and people watch until about 6pm. Then go get ready for dinner in the dining room. We were on Conquest for the 10/9 sailing and had a blast on the cruise. I would have been just as happy to spend 7 days at sea. If you've been to one banana republic, you've seen them all. This was our 7th cruise and we have seen alot of them.

Kenneth

I have to say it again - I LOVE SEA DAYS! We cruise to RELAX, and there's nothing in the world more relaxing than a sea day. Port days can be hot and tiring and busy and EXPENSIVE!

The cruise director will come up with things to keep people occupied - that being said, dh and I don't do ANY of the "activities" on the ship. We don't do bingo or the game shows or the horse race or ANY OF THAT - we just enjoy doing NOTHING - together. We're both so busy when we're home, that it's such a treat to have nothing on the schedule. Half the time I don't even read the capers. We make it to the past guest party for the free booze, lol, and that's about it. We love the ability to just people watch, have a bite to eat, take a nap, sit and watch the water, or find a kidless hot tub to soak in for a bit. I think I could take a 2 week cruise of sea days and be in heaven.

So don't worry - you may be missing out on a fun day in Cozumel, but you're gaining a fun day at sea.

I have posted the Capers from Sunday, Monday, and Tuesady from the Conquest Oct. 9 departure....you should have the same schedule for these days....but they will also give you an idea of what to expect on your extra sea day...

The Cruise Directors job is to create ideas....see what he can do.

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=246128

Rumor has it we get 2 extra hours but that's all. Intead of leaving at 4pm, at 6pm. Fingers crossed.

I would miss Cozumel also. But what are you going to do? Take advantage of the extra sea day. It's a much easier pace that way.

What are you going to do in GC? Have you tried Stingray City before? If not I'd do that it's pretty awesome.

Whatever you end up doing, just be sure to relax and have a great time.

Then come back home and tell us all about it.

Mike

on grand caymen, we took a taxi to the mariott. no enterance fee, about $15 for chairs... about $4 each way pp. nice view of the ships... a bit of basic snorkling and use of the facilities. Not too many hotels up and running our last stop in May..... this is a great relaxing day...

plus there is always shopping!

Although I would be disapointed at the loss of cozumel... as everyone has said... you can now spend more time exploring the ship and trying out all the activities you'd normally miss.

It would be a wonderful surprise if carnival was able to add a port at the last minute... i'll keep hoping for you!

carol

Rose, You've been on the boards for a while now. How many times have you seen "I don't care where we go, just get me on the ship". I know you have also seen the ones that post "I think this port may end up being a sea day". There will be plenty to do if you want to do it, but the best thing about a cruise is you don't HAVE to do it. With an extra sea day you won't be as tired as you would have with the extra port. Oh, at times you may feel a little bored, but then you can do something about that and start something on you own. I hope you have a GREAT cruise. Maybe we could meet up in OKC sometime after we all get back and have a couple of drinks and talk about the NEXT cruise.

I have to say it again - I LOVE SEA DAYS! We cruise to RELAX, and there's nothing in the world more relaxing than a sea day. Port days can be hot and tiring and busy and EXPENSIVE!........
Another vote for enjoy those SEA DAYS. Sleep late, relax, and keep an eye on your Capers for activities you'd like to try. There isn't anything more relaxing than being on a ship at sea. There is so much to do on the ship that you guys will still have a great time!

Looking forward to your review!

John

Hi Rose:

I understand your disappointment about Cozumel, but I bet you will have a great time. We were on the Rita cruise that was two days longer than it was supposed to be, and yes, Carnival did add Costa Maya for that. However, DH and I didn't even go ashore because Carnival added so many neat (and free) things to do on the ship. On our extra sea day they went out of their way to plan extra activities, and even brought another Comedian on board so we wouldn't have a "repeat" show. The cruise director and his crew did an outstanding job of making sure we were not bored, and we were a tough crowd since most of us were very concerned about what we would find at home. I agree with some of the earlier posts - the sea days are my favorites.

If you are looking for something fun to do in the other ports, the Aquaboats in Grand Cayman are a blast, and Sunset Beach in Montego Bay is the best value anywhere.

HAVE A GREAT TRIP! I know you have been looking forward to it for a long time.

OK.. we love to cruise, scuba dive, ski, shop, ride motorcycles, jet ski, and fish so on our honeymoon we decided to go to a golf course resort....because neither of us golf! And herefore we would not miss a thing!

Sea Daze are the best...where you gotta go you are on a boat on the ocean how much of a hurry can you be in?

Relax and enjoy.

Archived