Tech questions need help

dorisdvu

I am looking for a device (power bank) that I can use to charge in case my iphone battery dies when I'm on an excursion? One that is decent and not heavy to carry. Also, if one person purchases the social internet package are others able to view their facebook, snap chat etc. on the device?

Just charge your iphone the night before your tour. I can't believe the battery would need to be charged the day you have it fully charged. Why do you need it on a tour? Where would you get power to recharge it on a tour? Take a real camera of throw-a-way camera for pictures.

Sorry, can't help you with an internet package. Have no need or desire to use the internet on a cruise!

I am looking for a device (power bank) that I can use to charge in case my iphone battery dies when I'm on an excursion? One that is decent and not heavy to carry. Also, if one person purchases the social internet package are others able to view their facebook, snap chat etc. on the device?

You'll be better off asking about the packages on the cruise line forums you're sailing (I can't remember which line has a "social" package, but not all of them do).

Check Amazon for battery packs if you're worried. If you have a very large phone that eats a lot of battery, be sure to turn down the brightness on the screen, and turn off things you're not using like Bluetooth.

There should be tons of inexpensive chargers on Amazon (or at target, Walmart, Best Buy, etc). Just remember they shouldn't be packed in checked luggage.

Best to ask your question about the internet package on the forum dedicated to your cruise line.

I am looking for a device (power bank) that I can use to charge in case my iphone battery dies when I'm on an excursion?

To answer your question, go to Amazon and do a search on external phone chargers.

Tons of them.

chargers_zpst9ppl6jx.jpg

I use a 5200 PNY portable battery. Like that it has a percentage showing. As thank you gifts for a group I bought many $5 2200 portable battery chargers (lipstick) at our local Walmart, by the check stands. These have no power indicator.

Edited by SadieN

A couple of thoughts:

1) Get a recognized brand for reliability. There are a ton of cheap battery packs out there - they are reliable enough for non-mission critical backups when you just want some extra juice, but name brands have overall better track records.

2) Built in cabling to the iPhone. Having a dedicated Lightning cable/connector means you save one more cable to carry with you when out and about. OTOH, having just USB output makes it more versatile. Best would give you both options. Same with input cabling to accept power from a USB charger.

3) Power/weight ratios. The more power stored, the bigger and heavier the power bank. Little 2000 mAh units are good for a single recharge of an iPhone (and sometimes not a full charge), while bigger units give you all the power you could want.

4) What is your planned usage. If it is to be 100% on with screen bright, you will need more than just a 2000 mAh batt as you will be constantly draining your internal power.

5) Know that these are not instant chargers. They will supply power to the battery in a flow, and sometimes they may charge slower than you are draining. Look at the specs for the charging amperage.

6) As noted, these are lithium-ion batteries and you are required to have then in your carry-on luggage. Not in checked baggage.

Another idea is to purchase a charging case for the phone. A case that protects the phone with a built-in battery to charge your phone at the flip of a switch. It makes the phone a bit thicker and we have found it useful on long days away from the ship. They are made by third parties for most phones, an example is here:

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/muvit-muvit-volt-powercase-iphone-5-5s-charging-case-black-muchp0058/10400913.aspx?path=aafdee821ab6ed397f5fec921b1b49a2en02

the one above is $40 Cdn.