Pickpockets in Barcelona

captbuzz

Having traveled within Europe for half my life now and having read these travel boards almost daily for the last decade, I can truthfully say I have never ONCE read of anyone reporting that they have been required (in a random stop) to show their passport in these countries.

In some countries it is made abundantly clear that having a passport is a requirement and stops may indeed occur -- such as in Russia. And it's been reported to have happened.

But in Europe? If it is such an issue, why are cruise ship passengers not told they must take their passports with them when exiting the ship in Spain, or Italy, or....? In fact, why would some cruise ships hold passports, making it impossible that passengers would have them?

This is a urban myth about carrying your passport. Nowhere in Western Europe do you need this, at maximum a Gov't. Issued driving licence with photo will suffice. So much of this concern over pickpockets is due to over carrying of money, passports, jewellery in places where travel light is a better idea. This is cruise critic from a day excursion do not carry, in most cases you can't as the ship holds them centrally re port authority paperwork and so guests do not have to carry.

Yes, it is a legal requirement to carry your passport or official ID in Spain, Italy and other European countries. If you are not carrying the original you are breaking the law.

A couple of years ago I OT stopped whilst driving in Spain. We got a fine by the Guardia Civil because my sister wasn't carrying official photo ID. I always carry my passport, so had mine with me. Just because you have never been asked doesn't mean you never will be.

We were told as long as we had our passport number we would be fine. We also carried photo copies and digital copies of our passports and ids.

Ive read so many varying accounts of what was necessary and or required its down right confusing. Im glad i didnt have any problems, good luck trying to figure it all out

I find this perplexing. I've traveled in Italy for many years and have never been advised that I needed to carry my passport at all times. Not in guidebooks, by tour managers, hotel staff, or in cruise daily info (which usually will advise when you need to have your passport with you).

:confused:

ALSO, perplexed by the comments on this board. We were in Italy last year and the hotel held our passport the entire time!?

After boarding for our TA cruise, when we left the ship in various ports in Italy and Spain and one unexpected stop in France (alternate for Tunis), we NEVER took our passports and no one said we needed one.

WHERE does this information about carrying passports come from..............certainly not from any information we were given.

Totally agree with the last post. We must get away from this dangerous scaremongering re passports and carrying documents with you. We have just completed a 22 day trip on Regent from Haifa to Barcelona, we only used passports at the airport at both ends of this, even in Israel we did not need with crossing into the Palestinian area. For most of our trip I did not have a passport as its with the purser for ship formalities. I asked if we needed to carry in Albania, an unusual destination not EU, and until recently a place with secret police you might think ID would be an issue, categorically NO.

We had 5 different Italian port shops, no paperwork required, except Venice cruise terminal where a Gov't issued ID was needed along with your ships card to reboard the ship. Venice was the busiest port of the lot, so fine, but for Brits a driving licence card was all.

Passports are not needed in Spain, stopped at Palomos, asked again on this issue, again categorically NO. Was carrying in Barcelona as only part was a tour after cruise before airport transfer, so had with me, but kept out of sight in a bag when got off coach, not in pockets.

We stopped at Monaco, crossed into France for Eze and Nice asked again as a border do I need, looked incredulous at the thought of this!!! Wondered after events in Nice this year if spot checks on ID may occur, NO

• 4 months later...
It sounds like you have it covered. The one time I was in a city that I was particularly concerned about and had to carry my passport, I purchased a leg pouch (more or less wraps around your calf). While not the most comfortable thing to wear, I was confident that no one would get my passport of credit cards. I do not trust the hotel safes in most cities.

I am surprised by your comment of not trusting the hotel safes in most cities. Have you had a problem with a hotel safe? I mean, did you lose anything you left in the safe, which means someone broke into the safe? I ask, because we always leave money and passports in the room safe, and we never had a problem, or heard of anyone having an issue with this.

Obviously, everyone must do as you please: carry or not carry your official ID. It's not my problem if you wanna play smart-*****s after being informed. But you have no right to mislead others by downplaying our law on account of your ignorance of it and potentially cause inconvenience to other unsuspected visitors that might be looking for advice on this forum. I certainly don't give a toss where you got your information (or your personal experience on a trip), it's simply wrong. There are no grey areas in Law. As a local, the info I post here comes from the horses' mouth, the Code of Law of the Kingdom of Spain. Period. If you don't know what you're talking about, keep it to yourselves, please.

(apologies for fuming, but this matter can cause unnecessary headaches in the unlikely event you're asked to produce your ID -original passport, NationalID or European Driving License)

http://www.interior.gob.es/web/servicios-al-ciudadano/extranjeria/regimen-general/identificacion

Edited by EnricM

@Joal, four or five years ago there was a major scandal on the electronic locks (both for door and safes) used by many of the global chains because it was discovered they could be hacked (http://www.computerworld.com/article/2597479/security0/electronic-lock-picking--hotel-heists-allegedly-exploited-onity-keycard-lock-hack.html) and there had been quite a number of complaints by visitors worldwide having aparently been robbed without any electronic trace. In the sophisticated systems used in these hotels, when an electronic door lock/safe is open, an entry is logged in the IT system but in a number of instances customers complained about not being the case yet valuables were missing. It seems there are a handful of suppliers worldwide that serve these hotels and I believe having read that updated versions of the software had been issued; yet, as of 2016, there are still claims from reputable sources that the problem remains.

Edited by EnricM

@Joal, four or five years ago there was a major scandal on the electronic locks (both for door and safes) used by many of the global chains because it was discovered they could be hacked (http://www.computerworld.com/article/2597479/security0/electronic-lock-picking--hotel-heists-allegedly-exploited-onity-keycard-lock-hack.html) and there had been quite a number of complaints by visitors worldwide having aparently been robbed without any electronic trace. In the sophisticated systems used in these hotels, when an electronic door lock/safe is open, an entry is logged in the IT system but in a number of instances customers complained about not being the case yet valuables were missing. It seems there are a handful of suppliers worldwide that serve these hotels and I believe having read that updated versions of the software had been issued; yet, as of 2016, there are still claims from reputable sources that the problem remains.

Thanks EnricM for all the information. I had never heard of it, so I was blissfully ignorant. We have traveled extensively, and we had never had any problems. I imagine that most, if not all people leave their money and valuables in the safe of the cabin, when on a ship, and in the hotel safe. I can not think about carrying with us at all times my wife jewelry, credit cards, our passports, and sometimes hundreds of dollars and euros. I would be too afraid to enjoy anything. Thus, I see no option but to continue to use the safe either in the room, or the one at the front desk, and hope for the best. Thanks again for your answer.

Joal