Pickpockets in Barcelona

captbuzz

We were on the TGV going from Euro Disney area into Paris. We stayed at a friend's timeshare and it was very unsettling when someone was mugged and the police came aboard with automatic weapons and Rottweilers looking for the criminals. The same day we took the train back and we were alone in the car with someone that looked unsavory to us. We were very uncomfortable. We also learned that sometimes it's not worth the price to cut corners.

I think precautions and awareness should be in any country. I know when my husband and I were walking home from dinner to our hotel in LA in December we were careful as well. I would be the same in Australia too.

As I said before we were in Barcelona in July, we walked home from the theatre and dinner different nights. We stayed alert and we watched out, but all we saw were people out enjoying themselves just like us.

Julie

Agree that precautions should be taken wherever you are particularly in large cities. However, Barcelona did not get named the #1 pickpocketing city in the world for no reason. IMO, the extra precautions discussed on this thread should be taken seriously (especially on Las Rambla/Las Ramblas).

A few years ago I stepped out of our taxi right n front of the Hotel 1898. A middle-aged well-dresses local spat on the back of my jacket and then made a pretense of trying to clean it to try to get to my wallet. My alert wife shoved him away before he could succeed and we ran into the hotel.

Rome is bad too, particularly the gypsy children with cardboard "signs" near the Spanish Steps and the subway's dapper older male "passengers"...

Edited by JPR

Same thing with the street urchins (are we still allowed to say that?) in Rhodes - there are groups of kids playing different musical instruments for tips, but while some play, others scope out wallets or purses to snag. Just like any other tourist area - you gotta be aware, and unfortunately, you gotta be a little bit paranoid, too. After it's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

My negative experience with Barcelona didn't involve pickpockets but did involve scam artists. A young man approached us trying to exchange money. We told him to get lost, but a moment later a man flashing a badge and claiming to be an undercover policeman came over to us demanding to "see our money" since it was a crime to exchange currency. We walked away from him and said we will stop a uniformed policeman and discuss it with him. Bogus policeman fled the scene at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In April 2014 I was taking a transatlantic cruise to Europe on the Celebrity Reflection. I hooked up with a group of about 20 to take a tour for the day in Barcelona Spain. My wife and I was seated at the back of a 20 passenger bus with another couple on their honeymoon. The man was a big guy. Anyway we go to Montserrt and I get to know the guy pretty well.

The tours second stop is the La Sangrada Familia Cathedral. We have to park about 2 blocks from the church and walk. John and I are in the back of the group walking to the church when what appears but a gypsy between us begging for money. We both ignore her and she leaves. We we get to the second block she reappears and is going back and forth between me and John begging. We ignore her and keep walking. She is on my left side and turns around and starts walking backwards. I feel two fingers from her left hand go into my left pocket. ( didn't have anything in their but her two fingers). Anyway I reach in my pocket with my left hand and come out with her two fingers and I don't let go. Now she is in deep trouble and she knows it. I can tell she doesn't speak english but I look at her and say no no those are my fingers now and give them a squeeze. She goes down and I loosen a little. A waiter on the street as has seen whats happening and comes over and starts cussing the girl out in Italian. Now our tour guide ( a 25 yr old girl ) has figured out what is happening and has come and started cussing the girl out also. So I am just standing their holding her fingers and thinking, should I break them or not. I decide since I am not that kind of guy I won't break them BUT I am gojng to make her question her chosen profession. I then look up and say POLIZIA and she starts crying. No Polizia around so I think I will let her go but she is going to have to put ice on those fingers tonight. I give her one hard last squeeze and let her go. She runs into the street and is met by someone and runs off. I have now become the tour guides hero and a story everyone can tell about their trip to Europe.

Pickpockets are very skilful and most victims don't even realise they've been robbed until they discover their wallet is missing. All you can do is not make yourself an obvious target. I wouldn't recommend carrying any kind of "weapon" which can be illegal in several European countries and could land you in more trouble than being robbed.

I agree with the last poster as well as with most posts and stories about pickpockets in Barcelona. The fact that you (or I) have not had a bad experience in Barcelona (knocking on wood:-) does not mean it doesn't happen. In Rome (2nd on the international list of cities with the highest number of pickpockets) there as a line outside of American Express every day full of victims of pickpockets. Being pickpocketed can easily ruin your vacation so please be careful.

I agree with the last poster as well as with most posts and stories about pickpockets in Barcelona. The fact that you (or I) have not had a bad experience in Barcelona (knocking on wood:-) does not mean it doesn't happen. In Rome (2nd on the international list of cities with the highest number of pickpockets) there as a line outside of American Express every day full of victims of pickpockets. Being pickpocketed can easily ruin your vacation so please be careful.

This is particularly painful since in Italy you are obliged to carry your passport with you at all times. We'll be there in three weeks, so I'm thinking very carefully about this. Of course, I have my Travelon over-the-shoulder bag with its steel mesh, steel cables, and latches on the zippers, which has worked in Paris, Lisbon and Barcelona so far!

This is particularly painful since in Italy you are obliged to carry your passport with you at all times. We'll be there in three weeks, so I'm thinking very carefully about this. Of course, I have my Travelon over-the-shoulder bag with its steel mesh, steel cables, and latches on the zippers, which has worked in Paris, Lisbon and Barcelona so far!

It sounds like you have it covered. The one time I was in a city that I was particularly concerned about and had to carry my passport, I purchased a leg pouch (more or less wraps around your calf). While not the most comfortable thing to wear, I was confident that no one would get my passport of credit cards. I do not trust the hotel safes in most cities.

Agree. A good photocopy of the passport ID/info page should suffice. Carrying an actual passport around is asking for trouble IMO, especially in known pickpocket zones. If it's stolen or lost you will encounter endless hassles trying to replace it or get a temporary version to enable you to return home. In any event, in all our travels we have never been asked to produce a passport while on excursions or trips, a photo drivers licence is sufficient.

Is there a legal requirement that you carry a passport or just form of ID.

In Europe, I always leave my passport in the hotel safe and just carry my driver license. I don't carry a copy of my passport with me either. Maybe I am lucky, but in 35 years I have never been ask to show my passport while walking on the street.

I stick my credit card and a few notes in my sock. Though I am more worried about losing my Iphone than anything else these days.

j

We have silk money pouches the you wear around your waist. A passport fits into it. It's extremely light weight and silk is a natural material so won't be uncomfortable. I bought mine from Rick Steves webpage but I'm sure other places sell them. Best is they are not expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I find this perplexing. I've traveled in Italy for many years and have never been advised that I needed to carry my passport at all times. Not in guidebooks, by tour managers, hotel staff, or in cruise daily info (which usually will advise when you need to have your passport with you).

:confused:

Agree. A good photocopy of the passport ID/info page should suffice.

A photocopy is not legally acceptable in Spain unless it is a Notarised copy. Just because you haven't been asked to show your passport in the past doesn't mean that it won't happen in the future.

Edited by campolady

A photocopy is not legally acceptable in Spain unless it is a Notarised copy. Just because you haven't been asked to show your passport in the past doesn't mean that it won't happen in the future.

After my wallet was stolen in Barcelona a few years ago, I had a conversation about this with the police officer who wrote up my report (which I had been told was necessary to get funds put back into my bank account quickly).

He said that tourists are not expected to have their passport "on their person" at all times, but you should be able to produce a passport within a reasonable period of time, e.g., you can return to your hotel and get it.

This, to me, makes a lot of sense.

After my wallet was stolen in Barcelona a few years ago, I had a conversation about this with the police officer who wrote up my report (which I had been told was necessary to get funds put back into my bank account quickly).

He said that tourists are not expected to have their passport "on their person" at all times, but you should be able to produce a passport within a reasonable period of time, e.g., you can return to your hotel and get it.

This, to me, makes a lot of sense.

Depends on whether you get a 'Jobs Worth' Police Officer or not! Notarised photocopies cost very little and can save a lot of trouble in the event of a problem.

We have been asked to provide a passport to pay by credit card in Barcelona.

We also always have copies of them as well as it is far easier to get a replacement should the worst happen. Also ensure travel insurance covers replacement costs, it can be expensive.

We have seen children steal money left for the bill at outside cafes. They throw a map over the money and ask directions then lift the money.

Agree. A good photocopy of the passport ID/info page should suffice. Carrying an actual passport around is asking for trouble IMO, especially in known pickpocket zones.....

Is there a legal requirement that you carry a passport or just form of ID.

Legally you must carry your passport in Italy. I've read up on it. Not a photocopy, and a driver's license won't do.

That being said, most tourists in Italy probably don't do this, and are never impacted. But in this day of increased vigilance against terrorist attacks, particularly in Europe, I don't want to end up in a police station explaining myself. Of course, this is contradicted by many hotels who want to keep your passport for 24 hours on arrival, so we'll see how that plays out.

And I won't carry a waist belt (I hate anything bulky, I'm quite fat enough, thank you). My purse is specifically designed for this purpose, and when I'm hanging onto it like grim death, cross-body, nobody's going to mess with me.

Actually, not many know that in Spain -as it is in many EU countries- carrying a "valid" form of ID (National ID Card, or passport, and if you're European, also a driving license) at ALL times is COMPULSORY by law. Should you be asked to identify yourself by the police and you don't carry it, you're liable to a small fine and most probably taken to the police station until someone can bring you a proper ID so you can be identified. A photocopy is not a valid form of ID. Also, some museums/attractions will require a valid form of ID if you're claiming any reduction, same goes with claiming back VAT on your purchases if you're not from any EU country. Needless to say for the spring-chickens that an ID might be asked to get into certain nightclubs too. And lastly, if you're on a business trip, many companies will require you to show a valid ID in reception to get into the premises.

Having said that, unless you look like this AND are causing trouble, I doubt the police would stop you (or any local for that matter) unless a serious incident has happened nearby and everybody is being identified. Anyhow, if you look like that you can always try to soften it a bit... like so, lol!

In any case, please don't fret about pickpocketing... Barcelona and other cities in Europe (London, Paris, Rome...) do have their share of local and foreign criminals in this 'art', but this is not to say -by a long shot- that you need to worry sick about it. In the case of Barcelona, the overall crime rate is far lower than in most US big cities and the vast majority of the 12 million visitors the city hosts every year have an event-free visit. Simply be alert on your belongings, you're in a city and as in any city there are all sorts of characters, among the locals but also among the visitors. Check post #9 here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187497-i44-k8582706-Scams_safety_and_walking_around_Barcelona-Barcelona_Catalonia.html#67424708 for some basic advice

Edited by EnricM