New to NCL, some questions if you don't mind

imnance

Hi folks! I'm not a new cruiser, but this is my first NCL cruise. We're going on the Gem in March and will be staying in a mini suite. I know it's a glorified balcony. 😊

Could someone tell me please.....

What is (the?) Vibe and why do I need to have it? 😊

Is a Garden suite part of the Haven or a completely different area?

Is there a self assist option for disembarkation?

Any tips I should know about NCL in general or the Gem specifically?

Thank you!

Vibe does not exist on Gem.

Garden Villa is the highest level suite onboard, it is completely different (and private) from the Haven area.

Yes, you can do self-disembarkation.

Jewel class ships are my favorite in NCL's fleet, not too big and well thought - you should have a great time onboard Gem.

Jewel class ships are my favorite in NCL's fleet, not too big and well thought - you should have a great time onboard Gem.

+1 to this.

Some people prefer the larger ships but I don't think they're as well laid out for getting from point A to point B. I can't prove it, but waits for elevators seem much shorter on the Jewel class ships.

As part of the major refurbishment that's being done to NCL's fleet the Haven is being added and is replacing the Garden Villas. The link below shows the Haven now on the Gem.

https://www.ncl.com/cruise-ship/gem/detail

I don't remember seeing Vibe offered when we were last on the Gem recently.

To echo Demonyte's post we also LOVE the Jewell-class ships! They're not too small yet not too big either to be overwhelming, like the newer Breakaway/Getaway/Escape/Epic mega-ships.

We've been on the Gem a bunch of times and we really like it! We were on the Jade last summer, which is the same class ship, and we really liked that also. A couple of suggestions:

1) While the Grand Pacific (G-P) is the Main Dining Room (MDR) don't hesitate to dine in Magenta for evening dinner. It's a little less crowded and a tad more casual (e.g. men can wear shots there for dinner while they cannot in the GP).

2) Catch breakfast when you can in the G-P thus avoiding the "thundering herds" on Deck 12 in the Garden Cafe buffet. Eggs Benedict is highly recommended! Check the hours it's open for breakfast, however, in your Freestyle Daily; sea days it's usually open till 0930 or so but on days in port breakfast ends at 0900.

3) When the Gem was last refurbished they did some work on the Garden Cafe so the seating there is MUCH improved from when we first sailed on the Gem back in '07. Also if you do end up there for breakfast head right for LaCucina when you've finished loading your plate(s) as they open it up to handle the overflow. They'll have coffee in pitchers and some juices laid out up in the front by the kitchen.

4) The Great Outdoors remains open for breakfast until around 1130 so if you've had a late night before and the accompanying late morning start the following day head right there.

5) We HIGHLY recommend Leo the guitarist who performs nightly in Magnums on deck 6 or in the Atrium on Deck 7.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Tom K.