Vegetarian in Chops?

Hi all - Stop laughing! :rolleyes:

My partner is a vegetarian (I'm not - Midwestern born and raised and I like my red meat!) and we routinely go out to all kinds of restaurants where, if they don't have a veggie option on the menu he just asks the waiter if the chef can make something up for him, even just a selection of the "sides." Does anyone have any experience like that in Chops? Do you think they would serve a selection from Portofino, next door?

We'll be on the Jewel of the Seas for a Baltic cruise next August, and we always like to try the alternative restaurants on a ship just to experience the different rooms, different service, etc. We've heard lots of good things about both Chops and Portofino, and so we look forward to trying them out.

Thanks for any experience you can share!

I'm sure you could make a meal out of all the delicious sides too! I can't remember where, but I know I saw a menu for Chops on this site. Try doing a search for the menu and you can also see what sides and other offerings besides steak that they have. (I remember thinking I would have a difficult time trying to pick between several things on the "sides" menu alone). Have a great cruise!

I don't remember there being a dedicated vegetarian entree but between some of the appetizers, salads and side, I think you could put together a vegetarian feast. The portobello mushroom appetizer in itself would make a great entree! I'm sure they would put something great together for you.

We were on Enchantment of the Seas in early October and ate in Chops. I am a vegetarian. I do not eat fish. I don't think fish eaters are actually vegetarians, who are so-called because they choose a plant-based diet. But that is just my personal opinion. I hold no grudges and don't want to start a heated argument. Those who eat fish and meat have their own reasons and we can all get along.

For those who want to eat a non-meat, non-fish, non-poultry diet, they will be pleased to know that the chef at Chops will whip you up a delightful meal of your own description. Or if you wish, you can eat the side dishes and salad. Chops has a football- sized baked potato, wonderful asparagus, a tasty tomato, basil salad.

I'm not sure the side dishes will be the same on every cruise, but your companion has nothing to fear in eating at Chops. If you are still concerned, however, when you make your reservations, tell the maitre'd about your preferences and he will note your wishes. I hope you enjoy Chops as much as I did.icon14.gif

HeavySurf -

Thanks - I'm glad to get a positive report from another vegetarian. Agree that eating fish isn't vegetarian:confused:; like you, my partner doesn't try to proselytize, he just expects to be treated well when we dine out together. The way you describe your experience in Chops is the sort of treatment we've come to expect in most better restaurants, but steakhouses, even the better ones, can sometimes be unwelcoming. Glad to hear that we shouldn't be getting an attitude in Chops.

Too bad I didn't see this site earlier!! I'm a strict veggie (totally agree w/the fish thing....when I tell people I'm a vegetarian and they tell me about what fish they have I just give them a blank stare, wondering if they misunderstood the whole vegetarian part of it). It looks like I missed a great night of dining because I looked at the menu while on the Radiance and passed up Chops because it looked more like a paradise for meat eaters only!! I really wanted to go there too, because the atmosphere was pretty sexy. Oh well...now that I know that there's options for me I'm definitely going to Chops in May on the Brilliance. Thanks for posting a question that I usually get laughed at for asking...it's nice to see that I'm not the only veggie that wants to dine in a nice steak house!! :D :p :D :p

Laura

Friend of mine who does not eat red meat, chicken, pork, or any other land or air dwelling animal but does eat fish describes herself as a pescatarian (I may not have spelled that correctly).

want a real vegetarian adventure? try being stuck in hours and hours of traffic on a crowded highway with early snow at the end of thanksgiving weekend, and in that state it had been the opening of deer season, and have your vegetarian cousin stuck behind the wheel staring a dead, gutted deer in the eye--the deer having been tied to the rear of the roof luggage rack. she might have earned her trucker's license for some of the angry word-combinations she shouted out that day.

want a real vegetarian adventure? try being stuck in hours and hours of traffic on a crowded highway with early snow at the end of thanksgiving weekend, and in that state it had been the opening of deer season, and have your vegetarian cousin stuck behind the wheel staring a dead, gutted deer in the eye--the deer having been tied to the rear of the roof luggage rack. she might have earned her trucker's license for some of the angry word-combinations she shouted out that day.

I'm not a vegetarian, but I too would've been using similar words as your cousin in that situation.

Archived