Athens-London-Miami

theriac

Another question. I know 3 hours is recommended for an international flight and 2 hours for domestic. Since I'm flying from TPA to PHL and PHL to FCO do I need to get to TPA 2 or 3 hours early?

You're initially on a domestic flight, although they may ask to see your passport when you check in which usually means wait in the "real" line instead of using a kiosk. TPA is pretty easy, in my experience, so I'd allow whatever time you normally allow yourself, depending on the time of day, to check in, get the train to the concourse and go through security. Two hours should be plenty.

Yeah I know TIA isn't the airport code. I've stated that I messed up using it here because most people I know where I'm from say TIA instead of Tampa International Airport.

Another question. I know 3 hours is recommended for an international flight and 2 hours for domestic. Since I'm flying from TPA to PHL and PHL to FCO do I need to get to TPA 2 or 3 hours early?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

The news media in Orlando uses OIA for MCO. Makes me crazy.

I would err on the side of caution with the timing and split the difference, arriving 2.5 hours prior. Murphy's Law and a lot of road construction in that area... There are worse airports to spend time in. FCO would be one. It is stuffy and crowded, poorly lit, and the airport workers operate at their own pace, with no sense of urgency.

The news media in Orlando uses OIA for MCO. Makes me crazy.

I would err on the side of caution with the timing and split the difference, arriving 2.5 hours prior. Murphy's Law and a lot of road construction in that area... There are worse airports to spend time in. FCO would be one. It is stuffy and crowded, poorly lit, and the airport workers operate at their own pace, with no sense of urgency.

Perfect, 3 hours seemed really early for a Saturday morning flight from Tampa. I also can't drop the pup off at her resort until at least 07:00 so it will make it much easier.

Pretty much any BA flight that leaves London bound for the US has an AA codeshare anymore. The exception *might* be the flight that is all business that flys into LCY once a day from JFK. (I think it's JFK, Maybe DCA or EWR or PHL). At any rate, that might be the only one.
You were implying that because the OP is on an "AA codeshare" then the AA non-stop from ATH to PHL, then an AA from PHL to TPA, might be an alternative.

But there's nothing in the OP's posts to suggest that they are booked on the codeshare on any of their flights.

In any event, that's irrelevant to the question of whether ATH-PHL-TPA is a feasible alternative. You can do that journey on either AA codes or BA codes.

You may already know this, but when you get to PHL, you will have a choice of lounges to use. AA lounge in Terminal A is by far larger and nicer. It also offers a great view of the runway, and you'll be able to see the heavies loading.

One last question, when I fly from TPA to PHL on AA will I have to recheck my luggage as I'll be flying Iberia from PHL to FCO?

It was all booked through Choice Air and the flight says AA flight # serviced by Iberia. I'm under the assumption that booked as one ticket with a code share I won't have to, but it's always better to know ahead than figure it out there.

Thanks again for all of your help!

One last question, when I fly from TPA to PHL on AA will I have to recheck my luggage as I'll be flying Iberia from PHL to FCO?
If you have one ticket covering both flights, then AA should through-check. If it's all in one booking, it's highly likely that you have one ticket.

It was all booked through Choice Air and the flight says AA flight # serviced by Iberia. I'm under the assumption that booked as one ticket with a code share I won't have to, but it's always better to know ahead than figure it out there.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Nope--just double check to make sure they have put an FCO tag on it.

Edited by ducklite