Airport transfers with kids

Laznoza

Hi we are travelling to Sydney with our 2 and 4 year olds. What is the best way to get to Circular Quay from the airport? Do we need to book a transfer service so we can get car seats or are they able to travel in a taxi without them? What would be the most cost effective way?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi we are travelling to Sydney with our 2 and 4 year olds. What is the best way to get to Circular Quay from the airport? Do we need to book a transfer service so we can get car seats or are they able to travel in a taxi without them? What would be the most cost effective way?

Thanks

depending on the time of day...... the easiest and somewhat cost effective way is just to catch the train - as it takes you directly to Circ Quay - plus you'll more or less get a seat - rather than trying to deal with a car / taxi service having to sort out child seats.

Taxi FAQS

In taxis, children 12 months or older but under 16 years old must be in an independent seating position either on a booster seat and use a seatbelt that is properly adjusted and fastened or must use a suitable seatbelt that is properly adjusted and fastened.

(the issue with Sydney Airports - and this both for International and Domestic - is that they are both UTTER CRAP in terms of customer pick ups. You.. having to try and find your driver... and then the driver having to get your stuff and selves to their car.... our airports aren't coping with car services).

The better option would be UBER - but again - you will need to 'know' where the pick up points are for these airports (eg - 15min free pick up zones) - otherwise the UBER driver will have to resort to parking in the 'paid' zones - adding to the cost.

Domestic terminals have just this week 'changed' the 15min 'free' area - to now a '$4 fee for 15min section' and have moved the 'free' part to a covered section - which makes it FURTHER away.. and then having to navigate thru the parking area to ensure that you don't exceed the 15mins.

See 'new changes' here...

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/dropping-off-and-picking-up.aspx

Edited by shireboi

in January I caught a maxi cab with 3 other adults and a 2 year old from Sydney Domestic to Circular Quay - walked straight out the front door to the cab rank, told the guy we wanted a maxi with a child seat and within a couple of minutes one was at the kerb for us. Couldn't have been easier.

Domestic terminals have just this week 'changed' the 15min 'free' area - to now a '$4 fee for 15min section' and have moved the 'free' part to a covered section - which makes it FURTHER away.. and then having to navigate thru the parking area to ensure that you don't exceed the 15mins.

See 'new changes' here...

http://www.sydneyairport.com.au/go/dropping-off-and-picking-up.aspx

Thanks for that. It's been on the sly as it hasn't been publicised. Another way for Macquarie airports to make more money.

Amusingly, they say it is an 8 minute walk to the terminal, so it's impossible by their standard to meet someone directly at the terminal. You have to tell them where to go and then pick-up, which goes back to the old days when there wasn't any free parking!

Thanks for that. It's been on the sly as it hasn't been publicised. Another way for Macquarie airports to make more money.

Amusingly, they say it is an 8 minute walk to the terminal, so it's impossible by their standard to meet someone directly at the terminal. You have to tell them where to go and then pick-up, which goes back to the old days when there wasn't any free parking!

they keep playing it on Sydney radio (re changes) - the 'new' free pickup is at the car parking station furthest from the terminals.

The new 'difficulty' is that you are in a parking station instead of an open space - therefore your 15mins free (whooppe doo !!) will be chewed up trying to get out of the place !

Vote 1 for Sydney Domestic as the worst airport in the world :p

Grrr I am so annoyed to hear about those changes to the free pick-up parking at Sydney airport.

We have young kids and I much prefer to take the train rather than get a taxi. I find the taxi queue at the airport can be horrendous and I've had really bad luck with taxi drivers having old or damaged car seats that they don't install correctly. It's also personal preference but I'd be uncomfortable with my 4 year old travelling without a child seat even though this is legal in a taxi. Your children will be free on the train so this is probably the cheapest option and arguably the easiest as long as you are able to wrangle your luggage.

Grrr I am so annoyed to hear about those changes to the free pick-up parking at Sydney airport.

We have young kids and I much prefer to take the train rather than get a taxi. I find the taxi queue at the airport can be horrendous and I've had really bad luck with taxi drivers having old or damaged car seats that they don't install correctly. It's also personal preference but I'd be uncomfortable with my 4 year old travelling without a child seat even though this is legal in a taxi. Your children will be free on the train so this is probably the cheapest option and arguably the easiest as long as you are able to wrangle your luggage.

With that in mind perhaps the train is best.

Having in mind that your group is two adults and two kids, but luggage for four, I wonder if it would be too difficult to manage in a train. Maybe you could book a car/limo, specifying that you need two child seats. Other people have posted a link with the comment that it was not any more expensive than a taxi. Even if it was $10 dearer, it would probably be worth it for the convenience and the assurance that the child seats would be in good condition. (see earlier post by wagtail_syd) :)

If you want to keep the cost down by $8 or so, ask the driver NOT to take the toll roads. I understand that the passenger has the right to specify the route. We have found that it usually makes only a little bit of difference timewise, but it does make the trip cheaper.

Edited by Aus Traveller