Help! I'm considering a switch to Princess!

abowsi

First, some background information. There are three of us sailing: husband, 46 yoa, son, 5 yoa and me, 43 yoa. We've sailed nine times on RCI - the last three cruises on Mariner of the Seas. We enjoy the megaships.

Reason for switching? Really, the open seating dining option that Princess offers and MUTS. Also, Princess seems to be a "step up" for some reason from RCI.

Here's where I'm looking for help: we'd like to cruise on a large ship, Eastern Caribbean route in spring 2006 and sail from Florida. Any ideas which is the ship that matches our requirements? Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Have been on Mariner and Carib Princess in the past two years.. i am admittedly a Princess fan (16 cruises) but also like RCI (8 cruises)... the anytime dining was great in Alaska and in the Caribbean when you just didn't want to be tied into a set dining time.. and the seafood buffets on Saturday, Sun. and Thurs. in the Cafe Caribe IMHO were well worth skipping the dining room.. MUTS is very unique.. didn't sit by that pool in the day time (not bec. of MUTS, just preferred the aft pool) but it was neat at night with the chairs, blankets, pillows, popcorn and candy.. If you are looking for a change but not too drastic a one from Mariner, the Carib P is just right..AND it goes to Princess Cays and does NOT go to Nassau:)

Of cours I am going on RCI next year twice:rolleyes: ... once because someone else picked it and the second time - the Explorer of the Seas CC group in December -- mainly for the itinerary which Princess doesn't offer from Florida... which is where everyone really wanted to sail from

The Caribbean Princess does sound like the best choice for what your family wants. If your plans are flexible in regard to the date, then consider joining our August 19, 2006 Cruise Critic group cruise on the Caribbean Princess (sailing the Eastern Caribbean itinerary).

You'll get great group rates and group amenities including shipboard credit and a photo voucher. Plus we'll have a sailaway party and a meet and mingle. You can do as much or as little with the group as you want--but it does give a terrific way for your son to meet some little friends before he even gets onboard. There is no group dining--you dine when you want and you can choose the anytime PC dining if that is what you want.

Whether or not you join our group, there are some great photos and some other information on our group forum--click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=288 and then just go to the thread that interest you, but I highly recommend the photos and the video montage. These will give you a really good idea of what the ship looks like, including staterooms and other ship features.

Also, if you have any questions about cruising on the Caribbean Princess please feel free to email me.

You can click on the links in the banner below for info/pricing for the group cruise or email me with questions or for information about that too--at kacruiser@ev1.net.

Anything less than the Caribbean Princess and you'll be bored after all those other cruises.

....but then there's the exciting and challenging Princess Links course.

Drink heavily before attempting.

Between a tipsy player and the roll of the ship it's a whole new game!

Anything less than the Caribbean Princess and you'll be bored after all those other cruises.

....but then there's the exciting and challenging Princess Links course.

Drink heavily before attempting.

Between a tipsy player and the roll of the ship it's a whole new game!

If you are swaying at a frequency opposite of the ship, everything is normal.

Thanks everyone for all your help! I think I've pretty much made up my mind - Caribbean Princess it is. One question though - I read a review that mentioned all you can eat crab legs and lobster tails at a buffet on CP. Is this true? If it is, I'll be in heaven....

Abowsi, the seafood you are talking about is the cold seafood buffet which is on embarkation evening. Then on the second formal night there is hot lobster (again, all you can eat) on the seafood buffet--I don't remember if there was crab legs on that night or not. For some great photos of the buffet that will make your mouth water, click here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=288 and go to the thread entitled "Don't look at these photos".

There are also some other great photos of the Carribean Princess at that link as well as a wonderful video montage taken by a cruiser on the Caribbean Princess. I think you are going to really like the Caribbean Princess.

Please feel free to email me for questions or information at kacruiser@ev1.net. There is a sticky posted above for first time Princess cruisers, but I'm glad to provide additional information, even if it isn't about the group cruise. There are some things things that are a little confusing, like which balconies are better/larger, etc. Anyway, welcome to Princess!

Montgomeryfamily-thanks so much for the information and the links. Unfortunately, while your group cruise looks like great fun, the dates don't work for us. My son will be starting Kindergarten on August 28 so we're looking for something in May or early June. Maybe next time, though!

Abowski, even though we'll miss you on the group cruise, I'm sure you will enjoy your Caribbean Princess experience. And really, please feel free to email me at kacruiser@ev1.net if you have any questions or would like more information about the Caribbean Princess, especially figuring out the stateroom situation if you want a balcony--because it can be confusing, especially for those sailing on Princess for the first time.

Also, I suggest that if you are considering May or June, that you book either in May or the first week of June, as the rates increase considerably with the start of the summer season--as well as the fact that hurricane season begins in June too.

If I'm not mistaken, given your preferences, I think the Caribbean Princess is your only choice. I don't think they will have any other ships in the Caribbean sailing from Florida next spring doing 7 day itineraries.

The seafood buffet in Cafe Caribe does have crab legs, but they are snow crab legs, not Alaskan King crab legs.

Archived