Roatan, Honduras

Lady Vidora

I think that's how you spell it. Anyway, it's being changed out for another port on the western caribbean route out of Galveston. I'm just wondering when that switch will be made so I can check out what kind of shore excursions they'll have. I went to the tourist website (for the city, I think) and there is a neat spa that they advertise towards cruisers....I wonder if they'll have that. It looks nice....a two person massage (two massage people on one person) is $90, and they have facials, and baths and things for the day.

Roatan is my favorite port so far of all I have been to. There is a small pier at the village where some ships can dock, others tender in. The Wellness spa seems nice as we passed by it on the way to Tabyana Beach. The island is very poor and but they love the tourist. We never felt unsafe as we did in Belize City. If you do not do the Wellness center, please go to Tabyana Beach. It is the most beautiful and overlooked beach in the Caribbean. Our guide last year told us that a California company was buying up all the beachfront and that soon it would look like Cancun. But we got to see it with just small homes and B&Bs. We are booked on the Grand for late January and I can only hope one of our ports will be replaced with Roatan. One thing, don't get scared as you see the Honduran military helicoptors flying overhead with the gun turets open. They flew right over the tops of the palm trees as we were laying on the beach and went out over the ocean. You will enjoy it there, very mountainous and beautiful.

I think that's how you spell it. Anyway, it's being changed out for another port on the western caribbean route out of Galveston. I'm just wondering when that switch will be made so I can check out what kind of shore excursions they'll have. I went to the tourist website (for the city, I think) and there is a neat spa that they advertise towards cruisers....I wonder if they'll have that. It looks nice....a two person massage (two massage people on one person) is $90, and they have facials, and baths and things for the day.

What other port were you talking about? After seeing pix of Coz I'm wondering if that is the port to which you were referring.

I, too, have found that Roatan is my favorite!!!! I went in 2000 and have been to many other places, but Roatan is the most beautiful, unassuming places to go. In fact, it is the ONLY western Caribbean stop I would do again! Enjoy while you can!

Have to agree with the other posters Roatan is beautiful. One word of caution is to bring bug spray, we did not and came back with red dots on us, we had quite a few bites from sand fleas, who knew. The beaches and the snorkeling are fantastic, even with the bites we would go back in a heartbeat.

Archived