Making a 10AM Flight Time

espmass

Frequentflykid:

We never do a flight before noon because we have had ships delayed upon embarkation. We have done over 40 cruises and on 3 of those we have been delayed for several hours. If we had booked an early morning flight we would have missed it.

There is no guarantee that you will get to disembark right away if there is a problem at the pier or if customs is taking their sweet time.

Not worth the risk.

Frequentflykid:

We never do a flight before noon because we have had ships delayed upon embarkation. We have done over 40 cruises and on 3 of those we have been delayed for several hours. If we had booked an early morning flight we would have missed it.

There is no guarantee that you will get to disembark right away if there is a problem at the pier or if customs is taking their sweet time.

Not worth the risk.

I don't think there is a right nor wrong answer to this question. If you miss a flight because of a delay, etc., then no matter how much time you left it wasn't enough. It's kind of like it's not a problem until it's a problem. I find that the varying degrees of opinions on this have a direct correlation to the frequency at which one travels. I am a United 1K and fly very frequently for work. My level of tolerance and acceptable risk is much, much lower than someone flying once or twice a year for vacation who doesn't have the benefits that I have nor the experience.

I would also argue that if 7.5% of all of your cruises incurred a significant enough of a delay to cause you to miss flights than that is a statistical anomaly....or at the very least I don't want you at my blackjack table :)

Port Everglades to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport is less than 3 miles. Barring any truly significant delays and also assuming you carry your bags off (who doesn't do this anyway?) then making a 10AM flight would not be an issue, in my experience and opinion.

Now watch, my 10:30AM departure out of Newark in a few weeks after my cruise on Regal is going to get botched!

You must understand that if i am delayed getting off the ship and have a 10 am flight, i will not make it.

If i have a 2 pm flight and i am delayed a few hours i will make it.

We just do not want to take the chance.

Then don't. You're making my point for me. You're weighing the consequences of missing your flight as worse than the benefit of making the earlier flight given what you perceive/believe are the probabilities of a delay happening. We do not agree on those but that's okay. That's my whole point, it's all subjective. The question that was asked was whether making at 10AM flight was possible. The answer is yes and more accurately, overwhelmingly likely.

Take the later flight.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, what if the delay you're worried about causes you to miss the 2PM flight, maybe you should book the 6PM flight?

Edited by FrequentFlyKid

I think back to an arrival at Red Hook Brooklyn in 2010 when the Caribbean Princess hit and damaged a gangway and delayed disembarkation by several hours. you never saw saw such a group of frantic people trying to change flights. Although we were delayed, we were lucky in that all we had to do was get to Newark Liberty Airport to get our car (it was a repositioning cruise). Just remember stuff happens. I would rather sit around an hour or two than risk getting stranded.

My husband flies all the time and has been for the last 30 years. I know all about travel delays and what happens with your airline reservation when it gets cancelled. Most of the time a delay is just a few hours. If it is longer than that then we will have to punt and see what we can get for later that day or the next.

That is also why we have travel insurance. They can step in to help as well. So yes, most likely you will make the flight but to have peace of mind and not race off the ship i would make it for after noon.