upgraded booking?

geordie61

Hi all,we sail on Azura in 6 weeks time from Barbados for 2 weeks. Originally booked in room L209 with a grade HF/Balcony room. have received a cabin upgrade letter this morning offering us cabin A607 a HB/Balcony Mid-fwd/mid/mid-aft cabin. Never been on a cruise before so wondering if this a good swap or would you keep the original booking? Anyone been in this room? Thank you.

Hi all,we sail on Azura in 6 weeks time from Barbados for 2 weeks. Originally booked in room L209 with a grade HF/Balcony room. have received a cabin upgrade letter this morning offering us cabin A607 a HB/Balcony Mid-fwd/mid/mid-aft cabin. Never been on a cruise before so wondering if this a good swap or would you keep the original booking? Anyone been in this room? Thank you.

Hi, I have never personally been in any of these cabins. Looking at the deck plans, L209 is directly under the gym which can on occasions have a serious noise implication from people on treadmills etc. In contrast A607 has cabins above and below, which would tend to make it a quieter option. What is directly opposite your A607 is, I don't know but I suspect it is just crew area which shouldn't affect you too much. If it was me, I know what I would do, but you must make up your own mind. Whatever you decide have a great cruise. :)

I think that if you have been "awarded" an upgrade, you will have to take it, as your old cabin L209 will be allocated to someone else.

But on the plus side (the VERY plus side) you have been given a cabin 4 grades above the one you paid for and that could equate to a saving of maybe £200 per person if you had actually booked that cabin. P and O consider midship cabins to be premium position so therefore premium pricing, less movement if you hit rough weather

Your new cabin has cabins above and below so there should not be any "commercial noise" or disturbances. Count your lucky stars!! :D

There will be little difference in the actual cabin but A607 is in a much better location in midships which will have much less movement than being right at the front if the weather gets rough. (Not that it's likely to get rough in the Caribbean but you never know). Hence the higher grading. Also being midships it's a shorter distance to get to restaurants and bars, etc wherever you want to go. Definitely a good upgrade.

Brian

We've also been given an upgrade on Britannia this week. We chose D701 aft, close to the laundry then I don't have far to go to use the iron when necessary (sad, I know, ha ha). Now we're mid ship E343, which looks a pretty long walk to the laundry! Still, it will help burn off the calories [emoji6] Don't think we could have turned it down, the number is already on our luggage labels.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Many thanks for all of your replies, we will be giving our ta a call tomorrow to sort it out. Not sure how they can give our original booked room to someone else when we had chosen it and paid for it 11 months ago? As mentioned not done a cruise before so will see what our ta has to say tomorrow. Once again thank you for your helpful replies.

Many thanks for all of your replies, we will be giving our ta a call tomorrow to sort it out. Not sure how they can give our original booked room to someone else when we had chosen it and paid for it 11 months ago? As mentioned not done a cruise before so will see what our ta has to say tomorrow. Once again thank you for your helpful replies.

Unless you specified "no upgrade" at the time of booking then you are automatically eligible for an upgrade. In most cases this cannot be reversed. Your TA should have explained this to you at the time of booking.

Anyway don't worry about it as your upgraded cabin is much better.

Brian

Technically the cruise line may move anyone who has not ticked "no upgrades" on their booking. Another thing people not completely familiar to cruising do not understand is that the captain can decide to go to different ports than those listed and sometimes miss a port out completely and very rarely, a number of ports can be missed. It's all in the small print.

In my opinion you should phone and say you booked a Lido Balcony and have been upgraded but request you go back to a Lido Balcony (not necessarily L209) and try to see if you can get an even numbered balcony, thus changing from the Gym side to the quieter thermal suite side. Suggest to them they do an upgrade for the Lido Balcony occupants to the A deck to the cabin you wish to leave. Realistically it will be doing those people a big favour.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

Technically the cruise line may move anyone who has not ticked "no upgrades" on their booking. Another thing people not completely familiar to cruising do not understand is that the captain can decide to go to different ports than those listed and sometimes miss a port out completely and very rarely, a number of ports can be missed. It's all in the small print.

In my opinion you should phone and say you booked a Lido Balcony and have been upgraded but request you go back to a Lido Balcony (not necessarily L209) and try to see if you can get an even numbered balcony, thus changing from the Gym side to the quieter thermal suite side. Suggest to them they do an upgrade for the Lido Balcony occupants to the A deck to the cabin you wish to leave. Realistically it will be doing those people a big favour.

Regards John

Sorry John but why are you suggesting they go back to their original cabin when it is pretty clear that their upgraded one is in a much better position? As OP states, this is his first cruise and so when booking may not have appreciated that A deck is better than L deck.....for many of the reasons given....

Sorry John but why are you suggesting they go back to their original cabin when it is pretty clear that their upgraded one is in a much better position? As OP states, this is his first cruise and so when booking may not have appreciated that A deck is better than L deck.....for many of the reasons given....

Well MM

Geordies post #6 seems to indicate total disatisfaction that they have been moved from L209 to A607. Most people would prefer the A deck more centrally located cabin and I realise that. However I love the Lido Balconies particularly well forward like L209. This is sufficiently far enough forward to avoid any sailaway noise and gives easy access to the pools at the same level. That's why I love the location, my suggestion of trying to swing an even number was to avoid the gym which is above the original Lido Balcony Cabin quoted.

My main reason for explaining how to try to revert to Lido is based on Geordie's well miffed tone of being "upgraded" to the technically better positioned more centrally located A deck cabin. Hopefully a better appreciation of the system of grading cabins and being moved together with the understanding of what you are getting and why it is good is now better realised by Geordie. Hope the relevant TA is knowledgeable about cruising in depth.

Kind Regards John

Edited by john watson