Overnight in Amsterdam

RunicTalisman

I'm going on a mini cruise next April which stays overnight in Amsterdam. Can anyone tell me what the embarkation is like. Do they dock or use tenders. Is there time limit at night for when you need to be back on board. How far is the port from the town centre. Is it a walk into the town or are buses laid on.

Thanks.

From memory (going back to Arcadia 2009 ) The ship docks right in the centre by Centraal Station, you get off the ship and go through the cruise terminal and out into the city - The tour excursion I was on meant that I could join a glass top boat say 2 minutes walk from there.... I recall having to be back onboard by 9pm? I could be wrong as I dont really remember that much about that cruise or Arcadia itself

Definately not needing to tender there - I recommend a visit to the Anne Frank House as when we got there after a city cruise, there was a HUGE queue and our guide went in - said something in Dutch - and we were waved through !!

Anne Franks house was fascinating !!

The cruise terminal is about a 10-15 min walk east of the main railway station right in the centre. Look for "Passenger Terminal Amsterdam" on google maps. No need for shuttle bus. There is a tram stop just outside.

Normally when a ship stays overnight you can come and go as you want with the usual security in place.

Brian

It looks like this cruise arrives in Amsterdam at 6 pm and departs the next day at 6 pm so definitely overnight.

You can come and go on and off the ship as late into the night/early into the morning as you want with no restrictions.

I remember when we were overnight in Cobh - unexpectedly as the weather was worsening and although we were not due in until the following day the Captain decided to make all speed and out run the approaching storm, hence we arrived in Cobh the afternoon before we were supposed to, hope that makes sense. Anyway the storm duly arrived. Very few people went ashore in the pouring rain although some hardy souls did apparently. We felt very sorry for the crew who had to be on duty overnight at the gangway in case people wanted to leave or return to the ship. They were muffled up in waterproofs and fleeces and didn't look very happy but as the ship was staying overnight there had to be security there at all times.

I'm going on a mini cruise next April which stays overnight in Amsterdam. Can anyone tell me what the embarkation is like. Do they dock or use tenders. Is there time limit at night for when you need to be back on board. How far is the port from the town centre. Is it a walk into the town or are buses laid on.

Thanks.

I think all your questions have been answered but I have just got back and can confirm it is only a 10 min walk to the train station (you can easily see it from the ship) and I'm quite a slow walker! In front of the station (we cut through the station there are shops etc like the mainline London stations) are canal boat tours, HoHo buses and the hop on hop off canal boats. The Tourist Info people are in the terminal dishing out maps etc.

There was no time you had to be back onboard in the evening - we saw several people go out all dressed up! Hope you have a lovely time there :)