RCI Cruising Gluten Free - a how to and review

Daized

Cafe Promenade is also open, though I don't know how extensive their GF options are.

they only have an UDI cookie there.

Pizza place has GF but I found it awful. If you try, make sure it is really cooked and crispy.......they put it through the heater twice but No dice. Never went back on our many B2Bs. Ask at Sorrentos if they have the GF mini muffins. They did on Indy but hidden away of course.

Get a salad at the WJ, or make yourself a sandwich with the GF bread in the WJ?

I wrote a long RCL survey and I am sure nothing has been done.......suggesting that Each Ship give a GF Passenger a list of where and what they can find on board. How simple would that be?

Not the meals that are made for GF in the MDR, but anything like this muffin, or the flourless Chocolate cake in the WJ hidden in the cooler on Indy, Bagels, Buns, cookies. It took me ages on each ship to find out what they had. Would have been nice on Day 1 to know it. A lot of the staff have no idea either. Or they went away to find out and never saw them again?

they only have an UDI cookie there.

Pizza place has GF but I found it awful. If you try, make sure it is really cooked and crispy.......they put it through the heater twice but No dice. Never went back on our many B2Bs. Ask at Sorrentos if they have the GF mini muffins. They did on Indy but hidden away of course.

Get a salad at the WJ, or make yourself a sandwich with the GF bread in the WJ?

I wrote a long RCL survey and I am sure nothing has been done.......suggesting that Each Ship give a GF Passenger a list of where and what they can find on board. How simple would that be?

Not the meals that are made for GF in the MDR, but anything like this muffin, or the flourless Chocolate cake in the WJ hidden in the cooler on Indy, Bagels, Buns, cookies. It took me ages on each ship to find out what they had. Would have been nice on Day 1 to know it. A lot of the staff have no idea either. Or they went away to find out and never saw them again?

Any GF in Johnny Rocket's?

Sorry for later update - sun was out so i was sunbathing 😁 i had a very nice Pravin salad box in sorrentos yesterday. Altho not specifically GF it was obvious that the contents were non gluteny and prepared with care and the box was covered. They also had ham and chicken salad boxes. At lunchtime i have been using the windjammer more than on previous cruises because of the gluten free corner/aisle. It has around 6 dishes different every day. I also risk the salad bar and some of the Indian meals, and fries. So far have not had an issue. Today i had chicken cachatori (sp) and rice with Indian vegetables in korma sauce.

Last night in the mdr was a bit disappointed. Hadn't been in the night before so couldn't pre order and choices were not that appetising. Ended up ordering a filet mignon and paying extra. Came with the most boring sides sliced carrots broccoli and a jkt potato as ALL my meals seem to be. There was no gf choices on the sweets menu so i left grumpily. More prepared for tonight, but it seems there are actually more offerings in windjammer on this cruise than MDR. 9168a3206fa0b71110bd81984a7a4ee1.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Any GF in Johnny Rocket's?

RCL has packaged- BIG -GF buns, so that is what you would get I guess. Not a desirable bun......

Daized-

When I see the menu the night before and it isn't appealing I order something i want. They have Lots of warning to cater to you. I don't ask for wild items!

Fries and beef sliders- with NO bun. I got slices of bread the time I ordered it?

pasta and tomato sauce with cheese

Grilled Chicken Caesar. They can make croutons too if they want with the GF bagel, just have to tell them. They are not too imaginative.

They will grill a chicken breast- if you are able to wait and didn't order it ahead of time. Get a baked potato with it? or mashed potatoes?

Fries need to be ordered ahead as it is done with a special oil.

Breakfast in MDR is good. I get an omelet and toast etc.

Just figure out what you feel like eating if you don't see it on that night before menu and ask for it. They have a days warning. Has to be something they have handy, not turkey or ribs etc. Things the kitchen can make.

I love the Chicken Caesar salad and that is my back up!!

Good luck, don't be afraid to speak up.

Not added anything new as i have been busy holidaying :0) one of the frustrations is when a menu says gluten free available, and when you ask, it isn't. I'm certainly not afraid to ask at all, but here's the thing - being met with a startled look, a heavy sigh, confused looks, general air of being put out... that becomes old very quickly and purr a massive dampener on your vacation. So i was thrilled to find that Giovanis had not an ounce of that negativity anywhere in sight. I had anti pasti shared starter which was massive lots of meats and anchovies, cheese and salad. Gorgeous!! And it was quality food. To follow i had beef tenderloin with baby broccoli and garlic steak cut fries. Again absolutely delicious every part and top quality ingredients. For dessert there wasn't quite as much choice, but the cherry cream mousse i had was lovely. Overall my favourite meal onboard and immediately booked again for our last night. :0) 4c370c6ebb9c8d6667f88bfc5f836aa9.jpg

Thanks for the extra info Daized.

Any idea if there is any gluten free breakfast cereal (like cornflakes) onboard?

We go a week on Sunday. Very excited but I want to be prepared as we're only on board 3 nights so not long to figure out where everything GF is and how cruising works :)

Not added anything new as i have been busy holidaying :0) one of the frustrations is when a menu says gluten free available, and when you ask, it isn't. I'm certainly not afraid to ask at all, but here's the thing - being met with a startled look, a heavy sigh, confused looks, general air of being put out... that becomes old very quickly and purr a massive dampener on your vacation. So i was thrilled to find that Giovanis had not an ounce of that negativity anywhere in sight. I had anti pasti shared starter which was massive lots of meats and anchovies, cheese and salad. Gorgeous!! And it was quality food. To follow i had beef tenderloin with baby broccoli and garlic steak cut fries. Again absolutely delicious every part and top quality ingredients. For dessert there wasn't quite as much choice, but the cherry cream mousse i had was lovely. Overall my favourite meal onboard and immediately booked again for our last night. :0) 4c370c6ebb9c8d6667f88bfc5f836aa9.jpg

Sorry you got met with that attitude! My daughter's experience was 180 degrees different. The staff bent over backwards for her, even making a GF key lime dessert, making sure there was French toast in the MDR at breakfast. She was in heaven with the Indian foods. Each little shop on the promenade had an ingredient book we could look at to make sure there were no hidden problems. There cupcake shop was amazing. There were no hot dog buns, so she got a Hamburg roll and cut the hot dog in half. We cannot wait for our cruise next month. I will report back if it is a different experience.

Mommabear i am wondering if it's a stateside difference as i recall a different feel from staff on cruises ive taken from New Orleans and Miami... . I was just reading on another thread also about mdr issues with labeling. Some have found that after a mistake is pointed out, they seem more likely to take their bat home and remove any signs that say GF instead of trying to be more careful. I personally think the GF corner innovation is a good one. I'd tweak it to make the sign much more noticeable and point out that the same offerings are on other islands/stations if you didn't NEED the GF as folk just treated it as any other station really. And why wouldn't they, the signs are on the ends and if you aren't looking for them, they aren't noticeable. Xx