Heard from anyone on the Sky?

travelerblue

Got a text from my son yesterday. Sailing as if nothing was happening. Passed a ship sitting in the ocean and waiting. Was told by captain they would have rough seas last night. They should have docked by now, but web cam is showing them still at sea. Has the Port of Miami even opened back up yet? NCL website says embarkation is as scheduled for the next cruise out today. Just wondering if anyone has heard anything more.

My sister was scheduled to go on the Sky this morning. She got a phone call last night saying that embarcation would be delayed or something to that effect. However on Wednesday night, she got a call from American Airlines saying that all flights to Miami were cancelled. She had to cancel the cruise since there was no way of getting there (on time). Luckily she had insurance and it seems as though she'll get her money back.

My flight was also cancelled and was unable to get to Miami today for this afternoons embark onto NCL Sky. Have spoken to NCL several times over the last two days and being treated as if this Hurricane is no big deal and making the ship is not a problem for others. I find that hard to believe. Florida is in a state of emergency, NCL is unable to tell me what the new itinerary is for this weekend sailing (obviously not going to Bahamas), thought yesterday that I might be able to get to the first port of call for Saturday but zero information from NCL. On the phone this morning with NCL and was told that the ship was in port and going through disembarkation. As of 11:30am the ship is still not docked. Obviously I did not pay for insurance and am a bit perturbed that I cannot receive a credit or refund.

This can be found on ncl.com

*Norwegian Sky will have a slightly delayed embarkation today at PortMiami. The ship's three-day cruise departing today will not visit Nassau as scheduled and will instead remain at sea. Guests will receive a 50% credit towards a future cruise.*

I wonder what next fridays itinerary will look like....

My flight was also cancelled and was unable to get to Miami today for this afternoons embark onto NCL Sky. Have spoken to NCL several times over the last two days and being treated as if this Hurricane is no big deal and making the ship is not a problem for others. I find that hard to believe. Florida is in a state of emergency, NCL is unable to tell me what the new itinerary is for this weekend sailing (obviously not going to Bahamas), thought yesterday that I might be able to get to the first port of call for Saturday but zero information from NCL. On the phone this morning with NCL and was told that the ship was in port and going through disembarkation. As of 11:30am the ship is still not docked. Obviously I did not pay for insurance and am a bit perturbed that I cannot receive a credit or refund.

If you paid for your trip with a credit card, you may want to check to see if you card happens to have trip insurance included. Some people have this and don't realize it. Obviously, you'd have to read the fine print, and you may not be eligible, but I just wanted to mention it in case you weren't aware.

It is that sort of attitude that really makes Carnival look better all the time. Carnival issued refunds to those who couldn't make it and discounts on future cruises. They didn't have to but customer goodwill goes a long way.

yes, definitely my mistake in not purchasing insurance. :( However, I was prepared to meet the ship at first port and kept getting the run around from NCL. I now know why based on their current message stating that it will be a cruise to nowhere.

Cruise ship tracker shows them sailing towards Miami a few minutes ago. Curious about their weekend plans.

Driving back home to NH for work Monday night. Not going to be a fun drive I think especially with a 13 month old. Hope they can find gas, food and milk for the baby,

yes, definitely my mistake in not purchasing insurance. :( However, I was prepared to meet the ship at first port and kept getting the run around from NCL. I now know why based on their current message stating that it will be a cruise to nowhere.

The trouble is that every other cruise line is accepting cancellations. In my opinion, this is NCL's biggest fault. When I cruise Carnival, I don't even buy insurance because I know that if all hell breaks loose they will be civilized about options. NCL on the other hand just flips the customer the proverbial bird. "Sure, 70% of flights into MIA have been cancelled but that's not our problem. We will pretend it's all good."

Driving back home to NH for work Monday night. Not going to be a fun drive I think especially with a 13 month old. Hope they can find gas, food and milk for the baby,

Hmm, yeah. Is I-95 even open through north Florida now? I'm not sure it's safe to be driving that way. They may want to spend the night in Miami. If they try to drive north, they may get stuck on the highway with no hotels available. :(

95 was open all the way to Jacksonville. They just had to get off because they will need gas and they have seen none for the past couple of hours. They said it looked they were closing 95 just ahead of them. The storm is right in that area right now. Hoping to find some gas more inland. They are planning to drive all night if possible, no hotels. But it would really stink to run out of gas!

My son and his family made it safely to MD last night. He said Friday night was a nightmare from hell. In Jacksonville they had 200 miles until they ran out of gas so they took I10 towards 75 and found gas after about an hour. Filled up and against my advice headed back to 95. By this time the storm was hovering right at the FL GA border. They drove right into it and kept going. SC was the worst with 95 barely passable on both sides. He sent a pic of the highway and it looked like some old country lane with trees and debris everywhere. Could only travel 30 mph to have enough time to stop for cars and fallen trees in the road. He said they passed many cars off the road and a bad tractor trailer accident but they made it through. He is a bit of a dare devil (he drives a monster truck as a hobby and would love to be a storm chaser) and he drives a tractor trailer for a living, but he said he learned his lesson and he will never drive so close to a hurricane again. They got a hotel in Maryland last night so they should have gotten a good nights rest before heading home today. Can't wait to see them! Everyone was so worried about them being at sea during a hurricane, but the drive home was far more dangerous.