Explorer OTS Live review and Q&A

Girls only - boys you will want to miss this one

So being a 24 day cruise i knew that it would be "that time of the month" at least once during the cruise so i can with supplies, but i forgot the tampax for swimming.

I visited the shop downstairs and OMG at $10 US a box i was in shock :eek:

moral of this message girls always come prepared cos they will punish you onboard if you don't.

Guys if you have read this sorry but you where warned :D

every two days until Fiji you will been given a "extra" hour a night, so your clock goes back giving you an extra hour of sleep (or drinking :D)

We crossed the International date line on Friday the 21st at about 10pm and when we went to bed that night we slept right through Saturday and woke to Sunday the 24th. :eek:

In effect they "give" you about 12 hours over the first half of the cruise and "skip" a day when you cross the IDL. This means that you should be inline with time in most ports (we did have a one hour difference in Suva but the local tours where aware of this)

I would think it would be the opposite in the other direction and a hour is "stolen" from you every two nights and then you are "given" a extra day, maybe a repeat i.e. the 24th twice.

Hi,

Thank you very much for this detailed explanation . It all makes sense now.

We have done a number of Trans-Atlantic crossings (from East to West) where every other night we get another hour which is great but of course not so great on the flight back to the UK and the inevitable jet lag for a couple of days .....lol

Thanks again and I have enjoyed following this trip. I am really keen on doing this in 2018.

We love Sea days and of course it would be a chance to see parts of the world we have never been to before.

Regards

Ron.

Edited by ronpes

Thanks again for the information. I found on a world atlas that the two ports in Fiji are on the same island.

I do have to wonder why the ship didn't stop at more islands, but discovered looking at the atlas that the direct route from Sydney to Hawaii doesn't go through places like Tahiti.

Sorry for the delay on the end of my blog, but i am back at work (the day after getting back :( )

The last few days where much of the same, Halloween was the 2nd last day and we did get dressed up but nothing really happened to mark the occasion until the ball at 10:30pm.

Melbourne Cup

I had organised a Cup Day Lunch through Cruise Critic and Facebook before the cruise and we end up with about 200 people attending.

The Executive Chef and his catering staff where amazing and put on a special lunch for us including sparkling wine :D

The Cruise director and the entertainment staff where much less accommodating and after me asking a lot, we where given the Star lounge to use for a Fashion on the Field and a Melb Cup trivia, we had it put it in the cruise compass and had about 500 people show up. (no one was there from the entertainment staff so i MC and my DH helped) Lot of fun was had by all and it was a great way to end the cruise.

My recommendation is if you want to organise a group event don't take no for an answer. It took over 500 people asking for the Melbourne cup to be shown but we got there :D

Australian immigration joined the ship in New Caledonia so that we all did the Immigration process a few days before the end of the cruise.

this made disembarkment very quick and easy. We where given a time to "gather" in the Theatre and then after about 20 minute we could leave the ship. Our bag where waiting and very easy to find and 5 minutes later we where past customs and waiting for a taxi to the airport. we waited about 10 minutes for a cab.

We had decided to take the taxi instead of the train which is quite near just due to the large amount of luggage we had.

There was four of us with about 9 bags between us. The taxi was under $45 so most likely cheaper than the train anyway.

We where at the Sydney Airport by 9:30am

I loved this Cruise, it was a fun filled 24 days.

I enjoyed the time with my family and meeting new friends. I am glad that we had got the change to "meet' people via Cruise Critic first so that we had a good group of contacts when we started.

I encourage people to go to Meet and Mingles and set up "drinks" to get to know others.

Although not a fan of the Cruise Director i found most of his staff fun and the events they run enjoyable.

17 odd seas days is a lot!! be prepared for this, take books and i have to say i would have broken without the internet, the package was worth every penny and i don't think i would cruise without it again. I enjoyed not having the "find" WIFI on our few port days to "check in" with home.

I hope you have all enjoyed my review, i know it been different to others but i didn't want to bore anyone with to many same same days.

Sylva

Australian immigration joined the ship in New Caledonia so that we all did the Immigration process a few days before the end of the cruise.

this made disembarkment very quick and easy. We where given a time to "gather" in the Theatre and then after about 20 minute we could leave the ship. Our bag where waiting and very easy to find and 5 minutes later we where past customs and waiting for a taxi to the airport. we waited about 10 minutes for a cab.

We had decided to take the taxi instead of the train which is quite near just due to the large amount of luggage we had.

There was four of us with about 9 bags between us. The taxi was under $45 so most likely cheaper than the train anyway.

We where at the Sydney Airport by 9:30am

I have read that we have to buy the Aussie visa for each time we enter Australia.

We will be flying in before our NZ cruise on Radiance of the Seas, then returning to Australia before departing on our TP cruise. Not a huge problem, since last time we visited Australia, I purchased tour visas on the internet.

Naomi your review has been enlightening and infoemative and I've appreciated the information you've shared with us. As a first time cruiser with RCI this coming December you've given us lots of hints and tips. One last question, did you notice if there were baby change facilities in any of the toilets in the public areas or if I'll need to change bub in the cabin each time? just thinking if he needs a change during dinner etc I don't really want to have ot go back to the room each time. Having said that I've been on 4 previous crusies and never once bothered to notice change tables having never needed them in the past.

Naomi your review has been enlightening and infoemative and I've appreciated the information you've shared with us. As a first time cruiser with RCI this coming December you've given us lots of hints and tips. One last question, did you notice if there were baby change facilities in any of the toilets in the public areas or if I'll need to change bub in the cabin each time? just thinking if he needs a change during dinner etc I don't really want to have ot go back to the room each time. Having said that I've been on 4 previous crusies and never once bothered to notice change tables having never needed them in the past.

Sorry I don't remember.