Christ .Church

bejo

Absolutely!

But if you're there on a cruise you will typically be moored at Akaroa which is a decent drive (approx 1 hour) to Christchurch (note only one word)

While many beautiful old buildings and the central city were pretty much destroyed there is still plenty to see and do including lovely gardens

Check out the options your cruise Shorex offer or stay in Akaroa and do something local or just explore on foot

Seeing as you will be docked at Akaroa, I would be more tempted with the whale /dolphin watching. However, plenty to still see and do in and around Christchurch.

Hi Folks

Lets not forget Akaroa itself which is a delightful spot , walk to the lighthouse and see the clockwork mechanism built over 100 years ago and still in pristine condition.

Relax and have a nice coffee overlooking the waterfront

Wander up to the Post Office (shop sells all manner of goodies and mementos of NZ ) (free wifi at the Library opposite)

Trek a little further and have a beer in the Madeira Hotel ....

And there is a bus doing local tours ...

And when you have had enough of that and if the sun is shining this is the perfect spot to enjoy afternoon tea on your Veranda ....

Best regards

John

Hi FolksLets not forget Akaroa itself which is a delightful spot , walk to the lighthouse and see the clockwork mechanism built over 100 years ago and still in pristine condition.Relax and have a nice coffee overlooking the waterfrontWander up to the Post Office (shop sells all manner of goodies and mementos of NZ ) (free wifi at the Library opposite)Trek a little further and have a beer in the Madeira Hotel ....And there is a bus doing local tours ... And when you have had enough of that and if the sun is shining this is the perfect spot to enjoy afternoon tea on your Veranda ....Best regards

John

Akaroa,com has a special page for cruise ship visits.:)

http://akaroa.com/cruise-ships

Absolutely!

But if you're there on a cruise you will typically be moored at Akaroa which is a decent drive (approx 1 hour) to Christchurch (note only one word)

While many beautiful old buildings and the central city were pretty much destroyed there is still plenty to see and do including lovely gardens

Check out the options your cruise Shorex offer or stay in Akaroa and do something local or just explore on foot

Reckon it'd be more than an hour in a big tour bus! Or, if it did only take an hour, I'm not sure it'd be a bus I'd want to be on...those windy roads :eek:

But to the OP - yes, Christchurch is still lovely ...a lot of areas are still seriously damaged (or now completely flattened) - or was that way when I was there last year, and I think from friends there is still the case...but there are still lots of things to see and do. If you're likely to have the opportunity to come back though (appreciate you may not - your location says Florida I think? - can't go back to check now) I'd do that and stay in Akaroa or surrounding area...also lots to see and do there.

Yes - visit Christchurch. I was there about a year ago. Sure, the impact of the earthquake is still evident, but that is part of the reason to visit - to empathise with what occurred. There are plenty of innovative busineses setup that will welcome your support.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Forums mobile app

If you do the full return rail trip on the Tranz Alpine that will be a full day as you leave early in the morning.

We've done the tranz alpine before... poured with rain the whole second half of the trip from Arthur's pass down to greymouth!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've done the tranz alpine before... poured with rain the whole second half of the trip from Arthur's pass down to greymouth!

That is not unusual, what is more unusual is if it is dry. They have so much rain, around 2.5 metres per year, the fiord lands gets around 6.5m per year.

That is not unusual, what is more unusual is if it is dry. They have so much rain, around 2.5 metres per year, the fiord lands gets around 6.5m per year.

Definitely! I've also been lucky enough to spend a night on board the Milford wanderer sailing through Milford sound when it bucketed down... makes for the waterfalls to be even more incredible than usual

Definitely! I've also been lucky enough to spend a night on board the Milford wanderer sailing through Milford sound when it bucketed down... makes for the waterfalls to be even more incredible than usual

Yes, they are a wonderful sight. If the wind is blowing hard enough and from the right direction, you even get some waterups. Have seen them too.:D