Epic.Epic v Getaway.

Trickster999

I prefer it to the Epic, mainly because of the Waterfront and the ropes course.

It is quite similar to the Epic in many ways. There are some bits which are better on one ship or the other of course. Most people prefer Bliss on the Epic (I don't spend any time there so don't care, and the Cavern is nicer than the equivalent venue on the Getaway. On the other hand, Headliners is far nicer on the Getaway.

One thing to beware is that the balconies are tiny on the Getaway. If possible, the large balconies on deck 9, or even better, the mini suites on deck 8 are worth the small amount extra (I can't recall whether you got a balcony or not on the Epic).

I do fear that a lot that the Getaway has to offer will be wasted in the Baltics, where it is often not warm.

If I were you, I'd do the Getaway if only for the itinerary. Just watch out for the Stockholm options.

If I were you, I'd do the Getaway if only for the itinerary. Just watch out for the Stockholm options.

Could you expand on this?^^ What do we have to watch out for re Stockholm?

... Have to agree with the balconys - the away ships have pathetically sml balconys

Could you expand on this?^^ What do we have to watch out for re Stockholm?

There are a number of variations to the standard Baltics cruise next year.

Some relate to Warnemunde or Rostock, which won't make much difference.

One of them stops somewhere in Poland, rather than Tallinn. I don't know anything about the Polish port, but Tallinn is one of my favourite stops, so I'd avoid that one.

Stockholm is the big issue though. Currently, almost all NCL cruises dock very close to the city. This has two big advantages. Easy to get around and also you sail through the Archipelago, which is lovely. However, a number of cruises next year are listed as going to Stockholm (Nynashamn). Nynashamn is quite a distance from Stockholm and means that you have to take a tour or spend about an hour each way on the train.

I believe that there is one cruise that misses Stockholm completely and goes to Gothenburg instead. Personally, if the choose was between Nynashamn or Gothenburg, I'd go for the latter.

Of course, nothing in certain. Cruises can always divert to Nynashamn even if supposed to go to the city. On our cruise this year we missed Stockholm completely due to the weather.

Thanks Kieth..terrific info as ever

No we didn't have a balcony on the Epic ( non were available when we booked)

We looked at the cabin opposite on the change over day and and would defo have a balcony next time. So is the Getaway doing a Baltic itinerary next year? Stockholm appeals to me. As a 20 year old uni student we had to spend one semester in industry. My friend Colin got a job in Stockholm. So me and my girlfriend spent 5 days Hitch Hikeing there. So it would be nice to go back.

Regarding when to book.... What is the best policy. Do we book as soon as the cruises are released or wait till nearer the sailing date and take a chance on getting a good deal

Regarding when to book.... What is the best policy. Do we book as soon as the cruises are released or wait till nearer the sailing date and take a chance on getting a good deal

There is no simple answer to that. I book early mainly because we travel during school holidays, and also because we tend to be quite specific about cabin requirements and some categories do sell out.

My experience has been that the prices go up more often than down, and we have saved a lot of money over the years by booking early. You can also get some good bargains by booking last minute, but then you are faced with expensive flights, limited cabin choices and (during holidays) the possibility that the prices don't actually come down much.

You may well have missed the best prices on the Getaway already, but it's difficult to predict what will happen to the pricing as it is new to the itinerary. Capacity has increased significantly (it holds a lot more people than the Star), but may also attract more people.

Certainly, if you are interested in something like the large or aft balcony rooms then I'd get one booked soon as they do sell out.

You also never know when the promos may change. For us the beer package is great value, so we like to get things booked to secure that in case they make changes.

Basically, it's a gamble, and as we lose the deposit in the UK if we cancel then it is a bit harder than for the US. I use CruiseNext deposits which mean that it is possible to cancel and rebook and only lose the reduced deposit. I have done that on the occasion that the cruise price fell (actually it was the promos that increased) as the saving was more than the loss on the tower deposit.

Kieth...I just noticed the list of cruises you have done,,,, which is quite a lot!

And you are booking ahead to 2018. So you love cruising!

We met a couple aged nearly 80 at Rome. Airport who had done 41.

Yep, we love cruising, although I must say that just about any type of holiday will do. In the States we prefer to travel around on land (although it is nice to stick a cruise on the end of that). I find that cruising is a great way of getting round some places in particular, like Alaska, the Baltics and the Med, as you can get round so many places. We do like to mix it up with other things as well though. Currently, our son keeps dragging us (not kicking and screaming I must admit) to Disney or similar.

If you can wait until May, then I can give you a direct comparison. :D And yes, it's the cruise which includes the direct stop to Stockholm.

There is quite a long thread on people's views about the Getaway if you click the ship specific link at the top of the forum. You can also find a few videos on youtube which are helpful. I have a slight concern about whether the Waterfront is going to be that comfortable on a May cruise in the Baltics, which would remove one of the key features. However, I plan on getting spa tickets which should compensate.

I don't have anything like the number of cruises as Keith, but I'm finding that booking as soon as the cruises are announced is the cheapest option. The Getaway prices have currently gone up by about £200 since I booked, and my last cruise on the Jade ended up over £1000 more than I paid. They readjust after final payment, but Jade was still that much higher.