Old Lahaina Luau-Maui question

luv2gocruzin

Hubby and I are going to Hawaii for the first time and I want to do a luau. I see people are recommending Old Lahaina Luau. We will be sailing on Carnival. How do we get to the luau from the ship? Thanks in advance to those of you that have gone that have info to share!

Hubby and I are going to Hawaii for the first time and I want to do a luau. I see people are recommending Old Lahaina Luau. We will be sailing on Carnival. How do we get to the luau from the ship? Thanks in advance to those of you that have gone that have info to share!

I assume that the car rental shuttles run on a continuous loop from the cruise pier to the airport locations just like they do for Norwegian, which also docks in Kahului? The easiest, and by far the cheapest option is to pre book a car, pick it up in the am and then spend the day exploring the island, maybe a drive through upcountry and Mt Haleakala? The driving is very easy. Or plan any number of other things to fill the day. You could spend the entire day in the Lahaina area, or just plan to end the day there. Lots of shopping. Water based tours can be booked at the dock in Lahaina. Kaanapali Beach is close by.

You might also check out Feast at LeLe, another highly rated luau in Lahaina. After the luau, you can return the car or keep it overnight for use the following day. Look for info here on overnight parking in Maui.

I highly recommend OLL. It was a magic evening, the place is beautiful, and we enjoyed it very much. Booked 3 months in advance and got to be in the first row of tables.

We had a car, traveled with another couple, and my DH drove to Lahaina and back.

We were the first POA cruise who found out there is no more parking at the pier, and took our chances and parked at the Mall overnight, very near the Long Drugs.

I saw posts where people used a taxi service to and from OLL.

Anyone have other recommendations as well?

You might also check out Feast at LeLe, another highly rated luau in Lahaina.

I agree to search this forum for Feast at Lele information which is operated by the same company & is also oceanfront in Lahaina.

OLL has traditional luau food (Kalua pork, teriyaki beef, etc.) served buffet style with Hawaiian entertainment which doesn't include fire dancing because it's Samoan. You're seated at picnic sized tables: closer to stage are low with seating on cushions; further away are regular tables & chairs.

Feast at Lele is table service food & drinks with each course's food & entertainment depicting four Polynesian cultures...Maori (NZ), Samoan, Tahiti & Hawaii. You can check their website for the menu to determine if you would enjoy that type of food.

Table assignments for both are based on when booked & the Feast at Lele also has smaller tables (2-6 people) in addition to larger tables for big groups.

We've enjoyed both very much & we go to the Feast at Lele for special celebrations & go to the OLL when Ohana visit us. The Feast at Lele is slightly more expensive due to more upscale food & drink.

Edited by Astro Flyer

• 4 months later...
We (4 Adults) will be cruising to Hawaii April 26, 2017 aboard the Zaandam. We will be in Lahaina on May 4, 2017 (8 am to 11 pm) Is the port anywhere close to the Old Lahaina Luau?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! :)

Google Maps shows it's 1.2 miles from Lahaina Harbor to the OLL & recent discussions said it's a $10 cab ride for up to 6 passengers. They were unable to prereserve a cab & were told that cabs should be available at the harbor. This cab company states they'll accept reservations but don't know if they'll take a reservation for such a short drive.

http://westmauitaxi.com/services_and_rates

Here's a link to another recent discussion about transportation to the OLL:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2466373

Edited by Astro Flyer