NCL excursion Balmoral Island (Nassau)

mitsugirly

I noticed that NCL is offering an excursion to Balmoral Island in Nassau and I haven't noticed this before.

I did look on the port boards and really couldn't find too much about it (well, it was all old) and I'm not getting much of a response over there either.

Is this an excursion that NCL has always offered? Or I'm wondering if it is an excursion that they have just been offering since their private island is under renovations. I do know that this island is owned (or leased) by Carnival, so I just found it odd that NCL is going there.

Can anyone tell me if they have been there and what your thoughts are? Is it pretty?

How's the beach?

Any snorkeling at all? (It does mention renting snorkel equipment, but some of the pictures I have seen don't look like it would be much of a snorkeling area but I may be missing something or there may be an area that the beach pictures don't show).

It does also mention a pool to use as well.

It also mentions ferry return at scheduled times throughout the day, so I'm wondering if it's anything like going to Blue Lagoon (which we had a fabulous day at) where we could choose when we wanted to leave.

It mentions there's several restrooms located around the island and there can be some walking involved if you decide to, so I'm wondering are there different beaches as well?

Anything else that anyone can tell me about this island would be awesome.

Thanks in advance. :)

I just went to look at this excursion as I am also looking for a beach day in Nassau. Kim, is that Sakari in the Blue Lagoon dolphin encounter photo?

I hope someone has been to Balmoral and can give us a review.

Patti

Hi Patti. No, when we went to Blue Lagoon, we didn't do the dolphin encounter (did you check out the prices for the encounters?? :eek: We'll stick to Cozumel for that). Show me the pic. Where's it at?

I went to Balmoral island with carnival. When you get off the boat the swimming area is to the right. It is a beautiful beach with aqua water. Sandals is next to it. On the left is a rockier area but I've never gone that way

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Kim, it is on the NCL.com shore excursions page. I selected Nassau and 3-5 hours. It is the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter and the photo is a little girl with a dolphin. I could swear it is your pic. Sorry, can't post a link from my iPad.

Haha, I found it. It does kinda resemble her when you first look, but when you click on the "View Details", it really enlarges the picture and no longer looks like her. I can't remember the picture I did find once online that looked EXACTLY like her. Like if I knew that I didn't take that picture, I would have thought it was her myself.

I went to Balmoral island with carnival. When you get off the boat the swimming area is to the right. It is a beautiful beach with aqua water. Sandals is next to it. On the left is a rockier area but I've never gone that way

So would you recommend it?

Is the swimming area safe and open to the public? I'm looking for a down day to just hang on the beach. Are there Activities for kids or the ability to rent water stuff?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I've done this excursion with Carnival so can only speak to how it was with them.

No kids first us so can't speak to any children's activities but in addition to the "beach day" they also offered a "dolphin swim" so there were kids along for that.

On my experience there was one ferry over and one ferry back and the ride was about 30 minutes.

There is a pool, bar, food shack, changing rooms and restrooms. There is a nice patio area with tables, chairs and sofa-type seating. The beach is clean, the water is clear and not rocky. Swim stuff is available to rent but didn't so can'take elaborate on what is offered.

Some complaints were the time was short but we thought it ample.

We've actually done it twice so take that how you will; we enjoyed it and found it worth what we paid.

There may be cheaper, longer and better choices out there but we didn't put the effort into finding them (we're "lazy" to perhaps our own detriment).

Hope that helps in some way. :)

Edited by KevInPitt

I've done this excursion with Carnival so can only speak to how it was with them.

No kids first us so can't speak to any children's activities but in addition to the "beach day" they also offered a "dolphin swim" so there were kids along for that.

On my experience there was one ferry over and one ferry back and the ride was about 30 minutes.

There is a pool, bar, food shack, changing rooms and restrooms. There is a nice patio area with tables, chairs and sofa-type seating. The beach is clean, the water is clear and not rocky. Swim stuff is available to rent but didn't so can'take elaborate on what is offered.

Some complaints were the time was short but we thought it ample.

We've actually done it twice so take that how you will; we enjoyed it and found it worth what we paid.

There may be cheaper, longer and better choices out there but we didn't put the effort into finding them (we're "lazy" to perhaps our own detriment).

Hope that helps in some way. :)

Awesome. Thanks for your description and experience. I appreciate it.

We went over to the island when we were on Carnival a few years ago. It was for the dolphin encounter rather than the beach day that is offered. The dolphin encounter was great, but I remember thinking that if I had payed to come over just for the "beach day" that I would have been highly disappointed. The time was extremely short that you actually got to stay at the beach due to the ferry ride and the scheduled time back to the ship.

Also, there was only one bar offering food and drinks. I normally expect pricing to be high, but I remember it was astronomical. Everyone was complaining about it as I recall. If memory serves me the frozen drinks (in a plastic cup) were 12-14 dollars.

If you read the Carnival boards there is plenty of info.

We went over to the island when we were on Carnival a few years ago. It was for the dolphin encounter rather than the beach day that is offered. The dolphin encounter was great, but I remember thinking that if I had payed to come over just for the "beach day" that I would have been highly disappointed. The time was extremely short that you actually got to stay at the beach due to the ferry ride and the scheduled time back to the ship.

Also, there was only one bar offering food and drinks. I normally expect pricing to be high, but I remember it was astronomical. Everyone was complaining about it as I recall. If memory serves me the frozen drinks (in a plastic cup) were 12-14 dollars.

If you read the Carnival boards there is plenty of info.

I do know that most of the excursions you will book on the ship will involve limited time. That's the reason we normally don't book using cruise lines, but when that's the only way to get somewhere, you don't have a choice. I know it states 4 1/2 hours and at least 1 hour of that will involve the transportation. Although I'm the type of person that could hang out at the beach all day, at least if I know that I'm only going to get 3 1/2 hours some place, I'll be able to prepare myself mentally for that. :p I would think doing one of the swims (which we are not) would actually give very limited time on the beach and make it seem like it's not much time.

But we really don't have many choices here in Nassau. It's not one of my favorite places in the first place. We have done Blue Lagoon and loved it and also done Melia. Years ago we walked to Junkanoo. Nassau is just not an "easy" place to plan for with many opinions.

I have read others complaining about the pricing of the food. I have found this to be true when you go to a private island at other places too. They have you on the island and they know if you are going to eat and drink, you don't have a choice but pay the prices they ask. :( That really sucks, but not much you can do about it but plan for the expenses prior to going.

Thanks so much for your opinion and experiences. I appreciate it.

We are mainly going for the beach. Did you find it to be nice?

I strictly went for the dolphin encounter and we had no plans to use the beach. I don't recall the beach being anything special at all. It was clean, but I do remember that is was severely crowded. Also be aware that the area the cruise line and corresponding beach front is fairly small. I would probably opt to do a day at The Atlantis instead. I've been to Nassau so many times, I don't even get off the ship any longer.

I strictly went for the dolphin encounter and we had no plans to use the beach. I don't recall the beach being anything special at all. It was clean, but I do remember that is was severely crowded. Also be aware that the area the cruise line and corresponding beach front is fairly small. I would probably opt to do a day at The Atlantis instead. I've been to Nassau so many times, I don't even get off the ship any longer.

Atlantis really isn't in the budget for the group I'm traveling with and honestly, I don't think I would want to spend that type of money for such a short time there and having to pay extra for everything. I try to never just not get off the ship. That's the reason we cruise...to try and see new things every time. So, just trying to find somewhere to go new.

I am a beach person and I loved it. Plenty of chairs and never seemed crowded. I've been about 3 times and would do it every time in Nassau

Glad to hear you loved it. Although our day may be a bit crowded. We have 4 ships in port and a potential 16,000+ people on those ships. This was not a scheduled plan (we were supposed to go to our private island, Great Stirrup Cay) but because of the renovations being done there and the hurricane hitting it, it has delayed construction and clean up and we have been rerouted to Nassau. Not my first choice of course, but it will have to do.

Kim, it is on the NCL.com shore excursions page. I selected Nassau and 3-5 hours. It is the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Encounter and the photo is a little girl with a dolphin. I could swear it is your pic. Sorry, can't post a link from my iPad.

I was able to find the picture that someone else found online and if that guy hadn't been in the picture, I probably would have thought someone took a picture of my daughter for their website excursions. LOL

StMaartenFamily.jpg

We did this thru Carnival (as others have)... Carnival started it as "private" island for the Carnival lines (not just Carnival cruise line but all the lines Carnival owns).

It seems that it has become a destination for all lines now.

Personally it was a fiasco for us. We had the package that included "lunch"... and we took beers/water we bought prior to getting on the ferry to the island (a suggestion from another cruiser). We bought water at a $1 per bottle in Nassau and a 6-pack of beer from the grocery store near where you get on the excursion (about $6-7). Water was 3-5 dollars on Balmoral/beer was MORE than on the ship (without a drink package) and the drink package does not work on the island.

As for the beach, who knows what it looks like after the hurricane came thru, when we went the chairs looked a bit worn, were shoved up against each other... Now the beach itself was beautiful if you can ignore the other guests, the blaring announcements, the constant asking if you want a beer/hot dog/whatever.

The "lunch" package allowed us to go over to the dining area and order a hamburger (a few other choices), wait for (it was over 20 minutes) and eat it in the area. You could not use the package for a server coming by at the beach but it still saved $20-40 because that's what it can cost for 2 to eat.

About 3-4 hours after you are dropped off is the first chance to leave the island, no choices prior and the first couple of ferries back seemed to be packed to the rafters, almost unsafe.

As you can imagine I would not go back, the more ships in the port, the busier the island is... AND the worse the return is.

NOW if you really want to enjoy that island get a day pass to Sandals, have 1/2 hour ferries over to "other" side of the island which is owned by Sandals. Free drinks/food and I think it's about $100 per person?

We did this thru Carnival (as others have)... Carnival started it as "private" island for the Carnival lines (not just Carnival cruise line but all the lines Carnival owns).

It seems that it has become a destination for all lines now.

Personally it was a fiasco for us. We had the package that included "lunch"... and we took beers/water we bought prior to getting on the ferry to the island (a suggestion from another cruiser). We bought water at a $1 per bottle in Nassau and a 6-pack of beer from the grocery store near where you get on the excursion (about $6-7). Water was 3-5 dollars on Balmoral/beer was MORE than on the ship (without a drink package) and the drink package does not work on the island.

As for the beach, who knows what it looks like after the hurricane came thru, when we went the chairs looked a bit worn, were shoved up against each other... Now the beach itself was beautiful if you can ignore the other guests, the blaring announcements, the constant asking if you want a beer/hot dog/whatever.

The "lunch" package allowed us to go over to the dining area and order a hamburger (a few other choices), wait for (it was over 20 minutes) and eat it in the area. You could not use the package for a server coming by at the beach but it still saved $20-40 because that's what it can cost for 2 to eat.

About 3-4 hours after you are dropped off is the first chance to leave the island, no choices prior and the first couple of ferries back seemed to be packed to the rafters, almost unsafe.

As you can imagine I would not go back, the more ships in the port, the busier the island is... AND the worse the return is.

NOW if you really want to enjoy that island get a day pass to Sandals, have 1/2 hour ferries over to "other" side of the island which is owned by Sandals. Free drinks/food and I think it's about $100 per person?

Yea, I did call NCL yesterday to inquire if this was just a temp thing, since their private island is being renovated, or what was going on that they would be using Carnival's "private" island for the corporation. They said it had nothing to do with the renovations and they started this excursion months ago.

I was thinking that I read somewhere (I can't remember if it was on the boards, TA, or just online somewhere) that you are not allowed to bring in your own drinks or food and those items would be confiscated when found. :confused:

We might end of having to head to a crowded Junkanoo Beach instead because when talking to NCL yesterday, they said they were not going to put up any excursions on their website for us to book for Nassau and that we would have to wait until we got on board to see what is available still for that day. With us coming in as an "extra-unscheduled" ship that day and 3 other ships, they very well may be sold out. I know I have looked up other places there (like the Hilton) and they are completely sold out as well. :(

Thanks Kim. I'm really hoping they offer the Blue Lagoon beach day to book when we get on the ship. I can't imagine they would turn down a chance to make the port fees back in excursion fares.

There were six ships in Nassau when I was there last August and it didn't seem crowded other than in that little area right before you go out to the street. I hope if they do offer excursions they will have enough space for us.

Patti

I was thinking that I read somewhere (I can't remember if it was on the boards, TA, or just online somewhere) that you are not allowed to bring in your own drinks or food and those items would be confiscated when found.

They may have started that because of the unbelievable rip-off costs on the "island"... It was a couple of years ago so possibly it's changed... but when we went there were people at the dock yelling "water for sale Cheap"!!

We did stuff it in a bag with snorkeling gear (along with the beer).

Again I would check with Sandals, you can get the number to the Bahamas Sandals using "Uncle Google" and call to see if day passes are available. Beaches I think does it as well... no private island but plenty of "free" booze and beach.

Thanks Kim. I'm really hoping they offer the Blue Lagoon beach day to book when we get on the ship. I can't imagine they would turn down a chance to make the port fees back in excursion fares.

There were six ships in Nassau when I was there last August and it didn't seem crowded other than in that little area right before you go out to the street. I hope if they do offer excursions they will have enough space for us.

Patti

Oh gosh. I hadn't thought about that (losing out on the port fees). :eek:

The lady at NCL said that they have to wait to hear back from each vendor to see if they have 1) enough room in order to offer more excursions to each place and 2) if they have enough transportation back and forth from each place if it involves that. Which, this obviously makes sense of course.

But hey, if you have been there with 6 :eek: ships in port, then they probably function pretty well with having enough room.

My kids are really wanting to go back to Blue Lagoon. They had a blast there the time we went. My youngest son has always said (in the past before booking this cruise) that he'd like to return there. I think they all just liked the blow up toys in the water. LOL

They may have started that because of the unbelievable rip-off costs on the "island"... It was a couple of years ago so possibly it's changed... but when we went there were people at the dock yelling "water for sale Cheap"!!

We did stuff it in a bag with snorkeling gear (along with the beer).

Again I would check with Sandals, you can get the number to the Bahamas Sandals using "Uncle Google" and call to see if day passes are available. Beaches I think does it as well... no private island but plenty of "free" booze and beach.

Eh, it looks like Sandals day pass will cost our group $880 :eek: I think I'll have to pass on that. I might just have to end up at the free beach and suck it up for the day. :(

Hi Kim,

I feel like I know you and your family from reading your reviews! I just discovered them over the course of this week as we travel on the Getaway on the 13th. I just wanted to say thank you for driving my excitement and anticipation levels to new heights :D I am so excited to experience our 4th cruise and 2nd on NCL. The post you've provided have allowed the time to pass more quickly and get me totally ready for the time of our lives! Thank you again!

Hi Kim,

I feel like I know you and your family from reading your reviews! I just discovered them over the course of this week as we travel on the Getaway on the 13th. I just wanted to say thank you for driving my excitement and anticipation levels to new heights :D I am so excited to experience our 4th cruise and 2nd on NCL. The post you've provided have allowed the time to pass more quickly and get me totally ready for the time of our lives! Thank you again!

Oh why thank you so much. I appreciate it and hopefully they were helpful. You could probably spend weeks reading them and keep you occupied. LOL I'm a little long winded at times. ;) :p