Full day on Tortola, how do we get to the Baths on our own?

Jezo

Unlike my other cruises which gave you only a couple of hours on Tortola, this time we will be there from 8 to 5, so I am not worried about having to rush.

So how would we do The Baths on our own? The ship is charging about 90 bucks a person so I am trying to figure out if it's cheaper to just catch a ferry and a taxi.

How would we do this and what would it cost as opposed to the ship sponsored event?

We are going to the Baths again for the third time. Done on our own each time. It's a short 10 minute walk to the ferry, so no need for a taxi from the dock. Like previously stated, either ferry is fine. Get the one that fits your schedule. Last time we went, open air trucks/buses were waiting to take us to the Baths and readily available to go back to the ferries.

So the hardest part then is the ferry back. They dont look like they run that often and if you miss one you are out of luck.

If we need to be back on the boat at 4:30 what time would we want to leave Virgin Gorda?

So the hardest part then is the ferry back. They dont look like they run that often and if you miss one you are out of luck.

If we need to be back on the boat at 4:30 what time would we want to leave Virgin Gorda?

10 - 15 min walk west to the ferry terminal, taxis are available if you need them. You can use Google maps to see the location of the ferry terminal in relation to the cruise pier.

You'll want to reference the ferry web sites to ensure you have the correct schedule for the day and date that you are there. Although the ferries are very reliable, there can be maintenance and other reasons for schedule changes so just be aware of that.

http://www.bviferries.com/schedule.php

http://www.bviferryservices.com/index.php/schedules

Speedy's also offers packages that include a taxi on VG and lunch at the Bath & Turtle in Spanishtown on VG. The taxi fare is the same as what you pay on your own and is also published but many like this option anyway. Taxis are lined up to take everyone to the Top of the Baths.

With longer port times you can often get more time on VG by taking one ferry there and the other back. But with your port times you don't gain much so just take the Speedy's 9AM ferry to VG and their 3:30PM ferry back, you'lol arrive back on Tortola around 4PM.

Ferries are very reliable, and they will add ferries on busier ship days. But you want to be back to the ferry dock on VG at least 30 min early just to be safe as many others on your ship will be doing this. We would be comfortable with the 3:30 return.

There will be a crowd at the Baths of course, and you may want to work with a driver there and adjust your timing by going to another spot first like Spring Bay, or as another suggested Savannah Bay. Drivers will drop you and pick you up as you request. Would suggest you read the many threads here on this topic to get a better insight. This forum is small, and because the Baths are a very popular subject there is a lot of info here.

Enjoy your time!

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...
With longer port times you can often get more time on VG by taking one ferry there and the other back. But with your port times you don't gain much so just take the Speedy's 9AM ferry to VG and their 3:30PM ferry back, you'lol arrive back on Tortola around 4PM.

Ferries are very reliable, and they will add ferries on busier ship days. But you want to be back to the ferry dock on VG at least 30 min early just to be safe as many others on your ship will be doing this. We would be comfortable with the 3:30 return.

Okay thanks for all the great info. That doesn't seem any more complicated then other self guided outings we have been on.

About returning to Tortola on the ferry, is it a first come first serve line like a bus or would pre-purchasing a ticket get you a seat? Say we do get there at 3 as suggested for a 3:30 ferry but for some odd reason the whole island wants to leave and there is a huge line, do they just fill up as people arrive or can you get a seat if you have a ticket?

Okay thanks for all the great info. That doesn't seem any more complicated then other self guided outings we have been on.

About returning to Tortola on the ferry, is it a first come first serve line like a bus or would pre-purchasing a ticket get you a seat? Say we do get there at 3 as suggested for a 3:30 ferry but for some odd reason the whole island wants to leave and there is a huge line, do they just fill up as people arrive or can you get a seat if you have a ticket?

It is first come, first seated. The ferries are large, and they do run more when needed as mentioned. You won't have a problem with your longer port time, just want to caution that that there can be a line when everyone wants that "last ferry".

This is more of a concern with ships that are in port from say 7AM - 3PM and there is only one good return ferry at 12:30 - then I would definitely be in line early.

Enjoy your day! :)

[EDIT] And yes, this is a very easy and safe self-excursion. We enjoy going on our own more than being tied to a large group, it often gives you just enough flexibility to avoid the biggest crowd if you try to get a good start. Taxi drivers will work with you on Virgin Gorda if you want to get dropped and picked up at other spots like Mineshaft Cafe or another beach like Savannah, and fares are reasonable. Very inexpensive way to experience the Valley area of VG.

Edited by blue_water

• 3 weeks later...

[EDIT] And yes, this is a very easy and safe self-excursion. We enjoy going on our own more than being tied to a large group, it often gives you just enough flexibility to avoid the biggest crowd if you try to get a good start. Taxi drivers will work with you on Virgin Gorda if you want to get dropped and picked up at other spots like Mineshaft Cafe or another beach like Savannah, and fares are reasonable. Very inexpensive way to experience the Valley area of VG.

So once across the ferry and on VG, the taxis will be waiting at the disembarkation point? Do they base fares on a PP rate like other islands or is it per trip?

Are there official and unofficial taxis like other islands as well or anything I need to watch out for?

So once across the ferry and on VG, the taxis will be waiting at the disembarkation point? Do they base fares on a PP rate like other islands or is it per trip?

Are there official and unofficial taxis like other islands as well or anything I need to watch out for?

Yes there will be safari taxis waiting at the ferry dock and they are all official. The fare is based on the number of pp.lSso if you ride with others (or there are at least 3 of you) the fare will be $4 each way. For 2 ppl it's $5pp, and for 1 person it's $6. The driver will let you know when to expect him or her back to pick you up at the Top of the Baths.

If you have time and decide you want to see someplace else like Savannah Bay or lunch at Mineshaft Cafe before returning to the ferry just let the driver know and he/she will return to drop you elsewhere and pick you up for your return to the ferry. Fares will be the same when going to other spots in the Valley area.

All of this sounds pretty easy so far.

The cruise has their packages up, for the three of us, which is what I guess we paid last year as we didn't know how to plan it ourselves, the cost is $231.

Doing it this way..

$12 Taxi to The Baths/Beaches/etc

$12 Taxi back to the ferry

$120 Ferry round trip

So $144 total, saving us almost $100 and more freedom on Virgin Gorda.

Going from The Baths to another area if the taxi man comes and picks us up, is that an additional $12 per stop?

Second question, do they round people up for group bus taxis like on St. Thomas or will we be getting a private man in a car?

All of this sounds pretty easy so far.

The cruise has their packages up, for the three of us, which is what I guess we paid last year as we didn't know how to plan it ourselves, the cost is $231.

Doing it this way..

$12 Taxi to The Baths/Beaches/etc

$12 Taxi back to the ferry

$120 Ferry round trip

So $144 total, saving us almost $100 and more freedom on Virgin Gorda.

Going from The Baths to another area if the taxi man comes and picks us up, is that an additional $12 per stop?

Second question, do they round people up for group bus taxis like on St. Thomas or will we be getting a private man in a car?

The ferry will be $90 total ($30pp)

Yes you will pay that fare each time you take a taxi to another spot.

They will be loading you with others because of the number of people arriving with you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
10 - 15 min walk west to the ferry terminal, taxis are available if you need them. You can use Google maps to see the location of the ferry terminal in relation to the cruise pier.

You'll want to reference the ferry web sites to ensure you have the correct schedule for the day and date that you are there. Although the ferries are very reliable, there can be maintenance and other reasons for schedule changes so just be aware of that.

http://www.bviferries.com/schedule.php

http://www.bviferryservices.com/index.php/schedules

Speedy's also offers packages that include a taxi on VG and lunch at the Bath & Turtle in Spanishtown on VG. The taxi fare is the same as what you pay on your own and is also published but many like this option anyway. Taxis are lined up to take everyone to the Top of the Baths.

There will be a crowd at the Baths of course, and you may want to work with a driver there and adjust your timing by going to another spot first like Spring Bay, or as another suggested Savannah Bay. Drivers will drop you and pick you up as you request. Would suggest you read the many threads here on this topic to get a better insight. This forum is small, and because the Baths are a very popular subject there is a lot of info here.

Enjoy your time!

I would like to "pick" your brain on this topic, Sent you a friend request. I'm going in January to Tortola and have been to the Baths on my own while vacationing in Tortola

Wow - that’s an old one!

Ok

I know right, but I'm researching this for a cruise in Jan. Apparently there will be 2 ships in port on the day that we will be there. I want to do this on my own, I've done it on my own before but while staying on Tortola for the week. Do you have any recommendations. You can email me it might be easier? pkbch@yahoo.com

• 4 months later...
13 hours ago, printingchick said:

It's been several years since we were there (pre-storms), but we found the ferry system to be very unreliable and not adherent to the posted schedules. If we go to the Baths again on our upcoming cruise, we'll book through the cruise line to be safe.

That is very odd, the ferries are usually very reliable and they even add ferries on busier days. You should always allow for any delays due to heavier crowds, especially with the number of cruisers visiting today.

Taking the cruise line excursion is a good option if a short port stop...

• 2 weeks later...

Curious to see if anyone has done the Baths on their own recently. We were there on Holland in January with a shore excursion but are sailing Celebrity in June and they don't offer this excursion. We want to take our kids this time and would love some feedback from a recent traveler who may have done this on their own. Or, if someone who lives there could offer advise that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!