How Early of Flight? Brooklyn Cruise Terminal

RoxiRoo

Hello All,

I am booking flights for next September. We arrive back in port at the Brooklyn terminal on a Saturday at 6:00 am. How early can our flight be if we do self disembark? Any advice on which airport would be best - and how to get there? Any help is appreciated ! I have never been to NYC and have no idea how the traffic and airports are for busy - ness.

We will arrive three days before the cruise, so not worried about cutting it short to get to the terminal. :)

TIA!

Granted that ship will arrive back - early/on-time @ Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn at 6 AM next September ... what is the expected time for the ship to get cleared and for pax to disembark ? Will you be doing Priority and/or Express Self Walk-off by 7:30 or 8 AM and ride over directly to LGA ?

There is ongoing, long-term highway re-construction on I-278 West (a/k/a BQE Expwy) to/from Queens - so the trip is best done using a car service (Dial7 or Carmel are generally what we recommend) based on a flat rate, whereas yellow taxi are often hard to come by + a long wait/line at Red Hook. LGA started a multi-year airport capital improvement project, although interior roadway traffic congestions & resulting delays should improve significantly over the next 10 months (there's a #511 thread on that here) - which also has cautionary notes on the I-278 bridge work.

On a given Saturday morning, this 14 miles trip should take about 45 minutes or less, but could be much worse & longer if there's an accident, weather or other unexpected factors. JFK is about 25 miles - longer distance but trip time is comparable, about 45 minutes - fares from the car service will be higher by a few dollars, typically.

Depending on your choice/preference for airline/carrier & flight schedules, sorted by best airfares - you might want to factor this into your decision. JFK is an int'l airport with 10,000' to 12,000' runway that can land A380's under all weather conditions vs. LGA's much shorter 7,000 runway - flown typically by twin engine jets, commuter & turboprop's, and infamous for planes sliding off even under ILS where VFR conditions are often not optimal. Personally, we prefer to use JFK - an extra 10 miles of driving, often heavy ones, instead of going to LGA just 2 miles away.

If everything is aligned & falling in place, you are "reasonably" safe with a 11:30 out of LGA - getting inside the terminal to check-in & clear TSA security by 10 AM on a Saturday is your goal ... it's something tha cruiselines have no control over, as that's airport ops. On NE/Canada sailings, pax are sometimes cleared by CBP prior to reaching disembarkation port (i.e. Boston or Maine, etc.) depending on the itinerary - and that would speed up the process once she make her way to the berth in Brooklyn.

Are you flying home on a non-stop or is this via a hub city's connection to the final destination ? Sometimes, if & when we find extra time once at the airport with time to spare - a visit to the airline's club lounge is well worth it, even if it meant a one-day guest pass. Last but not least, will you be covered by an umbrella trip-interruption & travel insurance ?

Granted that ship will arrive back - early/on-time @ Red Hook Terminal in Brooklyn at 6 AM next September ... what is the expected time for the ship to get cleared and for pax to disembark ? Will you be doing Priority and/or Express Self Walk-off by 7:30 or 8 AM and ride over directly to LGA ?

There is ongoing, long-term highway re-construction on I-278 West (a/k/a BQE Expwy) to/from Queens - so the trip is best done using a car service (Dial7 or Carmel are generally what we recommend) based on a flat rate, whereas yellow taxi are often hard to come by + a long wait/line at Red Hook. LGA started a multi-year airport capital improvement project, although interior roadway traffic congestions & resulting delays should improve significantly over the next 10 months (there's a #511 thread on that here) - which also has cautionary notes on the I-278 bridge work.

On a given Saturday morning, this 14 miles trip should take about 45 minutes or less, but could be much worse & longer if there's an accident, weather or other unexpected factors. JFK is about 25 miles - longer distance but trip time is comparable, about 45 minutes - fares from the car service will be higher by a few dollars, typically.

Depending on your choice/preference for airline/carrier & flight schedules, sorted by best airfares - you might want to factor this into your decision. JFK is an int'l airport with 10,000' to 12,000' runway that can land A380's under all weather conditions vs. LGA's much shorter 7,000 runway - flown typically by twin engine jets, commuter & turboprop's, and infamous for planes sliding off even under ILS where VFR conditions are often not optimal. Personally, we prefer to use JFK - an extra 10 miles of driving, often heavy ones, instead of going to LGA just 2 miles away.

If everything is aligned & falling in place, you are "reasonably" safe with a 11:30 out of LGA - getting inside the terminal to check-in & clear TSA security by 10 AM on a Saturday is your goal ... it's something tha cruiselines have no control over, as that's airport ops. On NE/Canada sailings, pax are sometimes cleared by CBP prior to reaching disembarkation port (i.e. Boston or Maine, etc.) depending on the itinerary - and that would speed up the process once she make her way to the berth in Brooklyn.

Are you flying home on a non-stop or is this via a hub city's connection to the final destination ? Sometimes, if & when we find extra time once at the airport with time to spare - a visit to the airline's club lounge is well worth it, even if it meant a one-day guest pass. Last but not least, will you be covered by an umbrella trip-interruption & travel insurance ?

Well yikes. See, this is why I ask. :) I do NOT want to slide off a runway, so I will look at JFK and I will look at the later flight, because I really don't want to be having indigestion thinking that I will be late for my flight!

We are using miles to purchase the flights, they are all the same amount of miles right now (that is why I am purchasing them so far in advance), and the flight will be nonstop on Delta. I do believe my hubby typically gets into the lounge, so maybe we will be able to do that on that day. I would rather get home a little earlier, because we have a 2 hour drive after we land. BUT - I would also prefer not to miss my flight. :)

Thanks for the good info! also, we will plan on a car service. :)

You guys are awesome!