SS United States

Laszlo

This makes me so sad! I cruised from France to New York in the summer of 1966 and had such a wonderful time on this very elegant ship. For an 18 year old, it seemed magical! I am so sorry to see it rusted and abandoned but even so, you can tell just by looking that it was once so majestic!

This makes me so sad! I cruised from France to New York in the summer of 1966 and had such a wonderful time on this very elegant ship. For an 18 year old, it seemed magical! I am so sorry to see it rusted and abandoned but even so, you can tell just by looking that it was once so majestic!

Hopefully they can restore the ship to a floating museum

She was owned by NCL for a while, and most recently Crystal Cruises considered buying her. She was built entirely in the US and is US flagged, so she could do the kind of itineraries that the POA does in Hawai'i. The Wikipedia article has the full history. It would have been great if NCL was able to commission her for Hawai'i service, but they had to cut back the Hawai'ian fleet to just one ship because demand was not as great as they anticipated.

She will probably be scrapped. Spending a billion dollars on a ship that doesn't even have a ropes course or water slide probably isn't a good investment. :(

She was owned by NCL for a while, and most recently Crystal Cruises considered buying her. She was built entirely in the US and is US flagged, so she could do the kind of itineraries that the POA does in Hawai'i. The Wikipedia article has the full history. It would have been great if NCL was able to commission her for Hawai'i service, but they had to cut back the Hawai'ian fleet to just one ship because demand was not as great as they anticipated.

She will probably be scrapped. Spending a billion dollars on a ship that doesn't even have a ropes course or water slide probably isn't a good investment. :(

I put the the link up because she was an NCL ship at least for a little while. Forget scraping her, she would make a great reef!