Post cruise Honolulu tour?

pattyj 1204

I just realized that we don't have anything planned for the last day in Honolulu. We start to disembark at 7am and our flight doesn't leave until 4:55 pm. Does anyone know how long we can stay on the ship? Or what we can do before we need to be at the airport? All of the tours for NCL with airport drop off say not to take if your flight is before 5pm. We will be in Honolulu pre-cruise from the 21st. late afternoon to Sat. the 25th so I'm thinking we will already have seen most of "tourist" type things. We have tours arranged for the pre cruise stay. My husband would like to climb and see the overlook at Diamond Head, but so far I haven't seen anything listed for that. Thanks for any advice you can give us.

One problem you are going to run into is were to store your luggage when you tak your tour. I recommending contacting Oahu Nature tours to see if they can store your luggage when you book diamond head tour with them. Note it's a good walk to the top. 808-924-2473. But you will not be disappointed once you reach the top.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the suggestions, I did think about the luggage, but then didn't go further with that thought. I did read that there is a place to store luggage at the Aloha tower, but would rather have the luggage with us so we don't have to back track. Will check out the Oahu Nature tours to see what might be available. I'm not going to the top, but my husband would love it. I'd be more than happy to wait somewhere for him. LOL

One other thought is to rent a car for the day. That way luggage is with you. Take the bus from the pier to rental at airport. That way you are in control of when you have to be at the airport. Car rental runs about 50 with taxes.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
We heard the traffic was very congested in Honolulu and that if you aren't sure where you are going you get lost easily. Not true? We are renting cars on the other islands and aren't opposed to driving. Thanks for that suggestion too.

In the days of GPS's I doubt you'd get lost. However, time will be precious and you could spend a lot of it in traffic so keep that in mind wherever you go and give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport.

We found a tour that will take us around for about a half day with 2 other couples on our cruise. We will probably see some of the same places that we will have already seen, but at least we won't be sitting in the airport. Hopefully it will be a nice day and we will see some beautiful sites.

We had the same problem as you - our flight back to JFK isn't leaving until 4:20 pm. Earliest we want to be at airport is 2 pm. We made arrangements with Johnny Cab to pick us up at ship at 9 am, and will do an island tour for 5 hours - price is $50 per hour. (there are 4 of us) Might be a good alternative. He gets good reviews! Will let you know how he was - we sail in 2 weeks!

I hope you do come back and give us a report-It is good to know we aren't the only ones with this concern.

I will. Did a lot of research before we reserved him. We leave in 5 days! We are also using JC for pickup from airport to hotel, hotel to Pearl Harbor and back, and hotel to port. Will definitely let everyone know how all went.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am back from my POA cruise. Just got off the ship 12/31/16. We had a fantastic cruise - I posted a quick review on the NCL cc board. We used Johnnycab for all our travel on Oahu - airport to hotel, hotel to Pearl Harbor and back to hotel, hotel to cruise ship, cruise ship to island tour. We had not one complaint about their service. They confirmed all trips the day before, were there when scheduled (or there early!!) and their prices were quite reasonable.

When our cruise was over, Mark from Johnnycab was in the parking lot right next to the ship to pick us up. He asked us what we wanted to do, and then gave us some ideas also. We stopped at Leonard's bakery for amazing malafadas (donuts with or without fillings - they make them to order - long line but it went fast), went to the blowhole, to a garden, scenic overlooks, several beaches. He recommended a place for lunch. He will take you wherever you want. He stays with the van as we spent as much or as little time as we wanted at each stop, so our luggage/backpacks were safe. We offered him lunch, but he brought his own and ate in van. We got to the airport at 1:50, which was perfect. Tour was 5 hours, and they charge $50 per hour. (so it was $250 for the 4 of us, plus we tipped him) Large van with a/c. Plenty of room for the 4 of us, plus our luggage and carryons. I would not hesitate to use Johnnycab if we ever get back to Hawaii!