Viking China

2tsquared

We just booked our trip for May 07 on the Viking Century Sun for the 15 day China Cultural Tour. Our cabin will be on the main floor, category F. I do have questions about the hotels which will be Shangri-La Beijing, Shangri-La Xian, and the Shanghai Ritz Carlton. All three have so-so reviews written on them. Anyone stayed there? We are very excited about our trip. If anyone has any pointers/recommendations, we'd love to get them. Thanks!

How do you know what hotels you have so far in advance? We are leaving in late Aug. and still haven't heard, where did you get your info?

Thanks, L:) ri

I understand the report card thing' date=' mine starts high school this Sept. Will report back when we get home. Maybe you will have cooler weather, we always have to go away in the summer when I'm off from school.[/quote']

Are you a Prof., teacher or an administrator....so many people seem to be in the educational field that take this trip?

Get ready for the sauna...........take care, L:) ri

What didn't you like about Viking? I leave a week from Monday' date=' anything major I should watch for?[/quote']

Kathy--> Do not worry. It was not horrible, but it is not what they hype it up to be. The coffee is usually served temid with a freshly burnt flavor to set it off. The a/c on the ship is not adaquate for the conditions of the area so it does not dry out the air in the room leaving everything damp. Nothing like climbing into damp sheets or picking up the newsletter and it be wet. There is one thing I will give you a heads up on though. In the bathroom sink onboard the drain button is the stopper in the basin. It took four of us including a Chief of Operations from an airport to figure out this mystery. Unless you are staying in the Beijing Hilton the Shangri-las are nice especially, Pudong Shanghai. Bring snack like those orange/cheese crackers with peanut butter depending on your palate you may need them. Ice for drinks is pretty much a phenomenon. Coke with ice means 1 cube and extra ice you get 2. Do your very very best to pack under the 20kilo weight for the begining of the trip and try to make your carryon the lightest possible the airports are not fun. You must take a bus from the gate to the airplane which is no longer than a true 5 min ride in a sardine can (that is how it feels) it is over 100 degrees with extremely high humidity and after you finish choking from the jet fuel you have to walk up a mobile staircase dragging up your carry-ons and while trying to hand somone in the middle of the stairs your boarding pass. I will say though even though it really is all that crazy the flight attendants are so friendly and helpful. There was a woman who could not fit the bag in the overhead and they buckled it in in a 1st class seat. They would not however let her switch seats with her luggage:) .

If you do not have your heart set on the Peking Opera SKIP IT!!!. If you want to have a fun time or do a little shopping go to the Pearl Market (Hong Qiao). They are crazy in there it is not just pearls you name it they more than likely have it if not tell them what you are looking for and within minutes they will locate it for you. Bargaining with them is the best part, NEVER EVER EVER pay more than 40% of their asking price. All of the neogioations is done on a calculator. I would also recommend getting a few hundred $1bills make sure than they are brand new. You will use these for the local tour guides, bus drivers, bell hops, etc. Traveler's Cheques are not the easiest to cash because of the counterfitting problem there. Changing money is easy though and on Mainland China the rate is fixed so you don't have to worry about getting a better rate somewhere else just use the hotels. ATMs automatically give out Yuan or Hong Kong dollars if you are in Hong Kong. I dont know what your shopping habits are or souvenier purchasing but if you see something you like bargain bargain for the best price and get it there are a lot of things that are indeginous to certain cities.

Let me know if there are any other kind of tips/pointers to make you experience the best it can be with the putting the weather aside. DO NOT FORGET 'CHARMIN TO GO' AND WET WIPES!!!

--Tina

L:) ri--> If you would like to experience the true feeling of the weather go to a SAUNA and stay in there all day. I wish I were exaggerating. I am a little because a sauna will be a little hotter but the moisture is going to be exactly the same and so will the weight of the air. Next wash your sheets on your bed and dry them til they are no longer soaking wet but still damp and then crawl into bed. No matter what you do it is always like you are in a wet bathing suit. SO SO SORRY!!!! BRING A MINI FAN YOU KNOW THE ONE WOMEN USE FOR HOT FLASHES YOU WILL BE SO GREATFUL. Yes, try and bring as many 'throw away tops' as you can afford. You will change no less than twice a day. Also I recommend clothing clips so you can dry you stuff out the best as possible. Now the humidity was not that bad in Beijing, Shanghai, or Guilin. Those three cities were hot but also had a very nice breeze to compensate. If you are not opposed to truly squatting to use the toliet, skirts are the best choice. Westerns toliets are few and far between. Skirts are a blessing because they wont get 'stuff' on them.

NO CRITTERS!!! No, the ship was not at full capacity there were only 256 passengers, but I believe that was the most that ship has ever had.

---Tina

Tina, your posts crack me up:D

Glad to hear about no critters but maybe they will come out in Aug/Sept...I still have bite marks from Como, Italy and that was over a 10 days ago the foreign bugs seem to like me. So believe me a sauna sounds better to me than bugs. I have been picking up throw away tops at all the sales sometimes 2 of the same style...I will probably have laundry done, but with the tops under five dollars I'll just toss.

Thanks for the suggestion about the skirts...makes since to me,did you take a few?

Thanks so much again for the candid responses....L:) ri

Thanks for all your suggestions, I think the bathroom situations scare me more than the weather. Did you find throughout China, 40% under their asking price to be about right? It sounds like the weather and the boat were the most uncomfortable, is that right? We are on the 3 day cruise, and the 4 day to Hong Kong. What did you find you could live without to leave home? did you take any dressy clothes for the evenings? I'm trying to figure out what clothes to bring, was it easy to have laundry done? I usually don't like to bother with having things washed while we're away, but it sounds like I'm going to have to here. Did you find the cruise portion to be similar to the cruise on the Nile. We did that trip this past Christmas. I didn't think it was a 5 star, but it was acceptable. The weather was much cooler though in the Middle East in the winter. We were there last summer and it was 110 most days, although it was dry.

Kathy

Did you find throughout China' date=' 40% under their asking price to be about right?

It sounds like the weather and the boat were the most uncomfortable, is that right?

What did you find you could live without to leave home? did you take any dressy clothes for the evenings?

Did you find the cruise portion to be similar to the cruise on the Nile. We were there last summer and it was 110 most days, although it was dry.

Kathy[/quote']

Kathy-

Mainly the prices throughout China when buying from a "Market Place" you should pay no more than 40%. However, you will be gathering purchases from other places and sometimes there really is no bargaining, these are going to be the places that your guide is taking you too, they are government run; ie. silk factory, jade market, ceramic museum. Now more than likely in Beijing you will go for lunch at a local resturant and next door is a pearl market make no mistake it is not the REAL pearl market. The real one is 12 stories and has everything from electronics, pearls, fake bags, luggage, to souveniers. Post cards should be 2 for $1 on the street. Rolex, almost everyone by the end of the trip will have gotten one no more than $2-3.

The boat was not uncomfortable except for the bed it is really narrow, do not roll over or you will be on the floor. Actually for a cruise ship the cabins are quite roomy, especially the bathroom. The weather sucked that is no one's fault and I am not putting any blame on Viking for that but the ship is suppose to be brand new. There are bubbles in the floor that will scare the hair off of a cat. They are in some of the cabins right outside of the bathroom door and up in the lounge. They had to move us twice after the male steward was catapoleted into the bed from the bubble popping back up while he was standing on it. I laughed so hard my stomach hurt. The food in acceptable some days, but the soups are awesome!!!!

Clothes: only on pair of dress pants and two tops. You only need one pair or walking shoes I recommend Teva's because of the moisture/rain. Leave your jeans at home. Bring polyester kinda stuff that will dry out quickly and be lightweight. DO NOT NEED WARM CLOTHING!!!!! Maybe a light sweater and/or jacket depending on the a/c and where you sit at dinner. Also for long bus rides. No need for bathing suits. If you have laundry done do it on the ship it is 50% less cost than the hotels, but it is still not cheap. Bring some Tide with you for your undergarments and socks(if you wear sneakers) to wash out in the sink. Get anti-biotic before you leave home just in case and bring cough drop too. Also would definetly recommend and stomach medicine like Pepto, Immodium, Pepcid, etc. If you dont need it trust me someone will and you will be there life savor.

In comparing this to the Nile as far as the itinerary goes yes it is comparable. But on the Nile we had a ship that was 4.5 stars and service/food that were 10 star. Remember basics and ammenities are all part of an establishments ratings. I found the heat to be nothing at all because I am from S. Florida. Everyone else was not happy campers but managed. China is not the same. I looked up your itinerary I think you are going on the Imperials. It says you go to Fengdu, heads up, to get from the ship to the bus first you must walk over rusted planks and then depending on the water level that day you could have as many as 240 steps to climb just to get to the bus. Now once you have conquered that and you plan on going to the Snowy Jade Cave to get to the opening of the cave there is a 1 1/4 -- 1 1/2 mile walk up a very steep inclined mountain. GREAT NEWS the cave is only about 60-65 degrees. Now there is approximatly 600 steps in the cave. I am a nature lover and this was by far not the most impressive cave I have seen. I did find it interesting though.

I think that covers your questions for now. I will still be checking the board daily.

---Tina

Thanks for the additonal details Tina.......sooooooooooo helpful.

Speaking of amenities, I am talking about the ones is the bathroom on the ship are there any? Is there lotion? conditioner? I have long hair hate to lug around more than one bottle of conditioner...thanks.:)

Money questions

It has been stated it is hard to cash travelers checks but how about tipping with them, did anyone do that?

Also on ship is your account in Yuan or US dollars. Just want to know if I will get a foreign exchange fee on my card.

Many have stated take new bills, should they be 50 and and lower?

Did anyone attempt to use $2. bills, was there a problem with them? In may countries they are considered good luck..do they care in China?

Tina,

Thanks so much for your comments. I really appreciate the information. I do believe that the Century Sky is new, but I'm not positive. We have actually done a good bit of traveling, with various tour companies, so I am used to going with the flow. You are right, and I take half a pharmacy with me. My gastro doctor actually prescribed a medication for me take in case. In Egypt, I was the only one not sick, so he gave me the same medicine for China. I am very careful about drinking the water however. My husband does our bargaining, I am very bad at it. He loves to bargain, and had a ball in the egyptian markets. We have done some traveling to some countries, like Peru, where 5 star doesn't mean the same as 5 star in the US or Europe. We love the Princess Cruise line, so compared to that, I just go with the flow. Hopefully, the weather will be better, but if not, oh well. I figure my hair will be a mess, and I'll be climbing and walking a good bit. I figured on wearing my sneakers, and bringing a pair of teva like shoes. thanks for letting me know about not bothering with dressier stuff. I also have learned that if we are buying anything of any significant amount of money, that we use our american express. We tend to use the cash for less expensive purchases. I also don't buy any significant pieces of jewelry, just in case. I like to buy things I don't see at home, to signify the different crafts in places we go. This trip will certainly be an adventure, and it sounds like we will need a vacation to rest when we get back. Fortunately, I am off from work until September. My husband on the other hand goes back the next day. We are considering a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on one of Princess's new ships next summer. Have you had any experiences with them in Europe? We did the Baltics and Alaska with Princess, and we are actually booked on NCL to Hawaii this Christmas. We did the NCL trip to Hawaii before, so I am not expecting much, but they have an itinerary I like, so use them like a floating hotel. What was your experience with Princess, and which cruise line do you like the best?

Kathy

Money questions

It has been stated it is hard to cash travelers checks but how about tipping with them, did anyone do that?

Also on ship is your account in Yuan or US dollars. Just want to know if I will get a foreign exchange fee on my card.

Many have stated take new bills, should they be 50 and and lower?

Did anyone attempt to use $2. bills, was there a problem with them? In may countries they are considered good luck..do they care in China?

Lori-->

CA$H CA$H CA$H!!!!!!

The ship will allow you to pay with U$, Yuan, Plastic, or any combination of those. They will not take Traveler's Cheques and no you can not tip with them.

As far as denomiations are concerned anything goes. Did not try $2 bills the Chinese are funny about accepting money. If any bill is too worn or has a cut they will not take it. Try and get new money from your bank. They may need to order it so inquire in advance and do not buy their story on how easy traverl's cheques are, they are not in China. We took 500 in $1's; 300 in $5's; no 10's; 2000 in $20's; etc. etc. We took 50's & 100's no problem. But you want to have ample ones check your documents for tipping info. As far as tipping on board goes I don't the way it is structured. You are encouraged to put the recommended amount in one envelope for everyone and drop it in a box. It is supposedly divided evenly amongst the staff but lets be real the Captain, Cruise Manager, and the other head honchos take a very big chunk before they divey up the crumbs for the rest. We tipped the minimum in the box and then gave out 9 separate envelopes for the waitstaff and steward. We moved around alot in the dinning room and made sure we tipped everyone we sat with.

Hope this helps

---Tina

Tina' date='

I am very careful about drinking the water however. My husband does our bargaining, I am very bad at it. He loves to bargain, and had a ball in the egyptian markets. We have done some traveling to some countries, like Peru, where 5 star doesn't mean the same as 5 star in the US or Europe. We love the Princess Cruise line, so compared to that, I just go with the flow. Hopefully, the weather will be better, but if not, oh well. I figure my hair will be a mess, and I'll be climbing and walking a good bit.

I also have learned that if we are buying anything of any significant amount of money, that we use our american express. We tend to use the cash for less expensive purchases.

I like to buy things I don't see at home, to signify the different crafts in places we go. This trip will certainly be an adventure, and it sounds like we will need a vacation to rest when we get back. Fortunately, I am off from work until September. My husband on the other hand goes back the next day. We are considering a 12 day Mediterranean cruise on one of Princess's new ships next summer. Have you had any experiences with them in Europe?

What was your experience with Princess, and which cruise line do you like the best?

Kathy[/quote']

Kathy-->

I too love Princess. Their Russian/Scandinavian Cruise was incredible. Denmark is my most favorite place. Actually looked into moving there for a while. We are taking two cruises with Princess in the Spring. The first one is to Tahiti/Cook Islands and then off to Australia/New Zealand we are also doing Fiji in between we will be gone for 6 weeks. Wahoo!!!!

Don't fret about the water. All of the bus drivers on the tour sells it, it is 2 bottles for a $1us. If you are out on your own and are going to buy a beverage make sure that the plastic cap is sealed with the ring that is left on the bottle after you open it. If it is it is safe to drink.

Bring hair serum with you. I wish I had.

All of the tour guides warned us about using our credit cards for purchases because you may agree to one price and when you get the bill it is a different amount that has been charged. Also, make sure you get receipts as much as you can remember because if you are stopped by Customs you can show them you paid nothing and they don't go by their charts. I bought 2 16" natural pearl necklaces for $5 each.

---Tina

Hi

With a week to go we are starting to get excited

Thanks for all your advice, and pictures

Question.

Since it seems like it will be hot do men wear shorts on the streets? What about hats?

Did anyone use the pools at the hotel?

To Manny's mom - We are not arriving until the 20th so I guess we will only meet via email (Wealso did the NCL Hawaii at Christmas - before the Pride and had to go to the Island. The new itineray looks great but I felt that my high school cafeteria food has a better presentation, had a better selection and tasted better. Also unless you go with a group you will probably only sit with one other couple if you are lucky).

Pictures - for those who want to see pictures go to the River Cruises board China board. Sakedad posted his pictures from October. he was on the Viking Empress. Here is the link to his China photo gallery ) He only posted

1634 pictures with captions. The pictures are excellent.

Irv

Lori-->

CA$H CA$H CA$H!!!!!!

The ship will allow you to pay with U$, Yuan, Plastic, or any combination of those. They will not take Traveler's Cheques and no you can not tip with them.

As far as denomiations are concerned anything goes. Did not try $2 bills the Chinese are funny about accepting money. If any bill is too worn or has a cut they will not take it. Try and get new money from your bank. They may need to order it so inquire in advance and do not buy their story on how easy traverl's cheques are, they are not in China. We took 500 in $1's; 300 in $5's; no 10's; 2000 in $20's; etc. etc. We took 50's & 100's no problem. But you want to have ample ones check your documents for tipping info. As far as tipping on board goes I don't the way it is structured. You are encouraged to put the recommended amount in one envelope for everyone and drop it in a box. It is supposedly divided evenly amongst the staff but lets be real the Captain, Cruise Manager, and the other head honchos take a very big chunk before they divey up the crumbs for the rest. We tipped the minimum in the box and then gave out 9 separate envelopes for the waitstaff and steward. We moved around alot in the dinning room and made sure we tipped everyone we sat with.

Hope this helps

---Tina

good info......but remember this is a swiss run company, If you put a couple of signed 100 TC's in a tip envelope someone will find a way to cash them, no doubt.

So is your ship account final bill in Yuan?

Thanks for the tip about merchants and getting receipts.

I am planning to use my ATM. I will bring some small US bills, but I would rather use their money then let the Chinese government accumulate ours, why do you think they want new bills.;)

Thanks again Tina, for the input.

Any other opinions out there?

L:) ri

Just got back from 16 day trip ( Shanghi to Bejing). The ship had an electrical fire in a cabin on the 4th deck. Smoke and water damage to the aft section. The 4:30 a.m. fire was out in 10 minutes and there were no injuries. Cause was the medical refrigerater in the cabin. All of these were removed from all the cabins the next day. We only had 130 passengers, so those on that floor were moved to forward rooms.

The remodeling of the Hilton is now completed and the hotel was great.

I'll answer questions anyone may have.

Just got back from 16 day trip ( Shanghi to Bejing). The ship had an electrical fire in a cabin on the 4th deck. Smoke and water damage to the aft section. The 4:30 a.m. fire was out in 10 minutes and there were no injuries. Cause was the medical refrigerater in the cabin. All of these were removed from all the cabins the next day. We only had 130 passengers, so those on that floor were moved to forward rooms.

The remodeling of the Hilton is now completed and the hotel was great.

I'll answer questions anyone may have.

Glad to hear fire was contained quicky and everyone was alright. Did the fire occur when you were cruising?

How was your ship account settled in Yuan or US dollars?

What part of your stay in China did you enjoy the most?

Welcome back to our hot weather(I am in OC), how did China compare?

Thanks, L:) ri

Lori:

Fire occurred while cruising. All we heard was running through the hallway. No alarm was sounded.

The shipboard account was settled in yuan. The ship tab was billed to an account in Switzerland and the tips to a Chinese account.

I guess I enjoyed the day trip to the school. Got to meet the real Chinese people and not the street vendors.

They weather in China was humid. Very little rain. Cloudy some of the days. Sweated alot.

Jerry

Irv, After the schlep to Fanning Island, and the 14 foot swells, it was pouring so badly that most people stayed on the ship. I insisted on seeing the island after the day and half at sea, only to find mud and more mud. On the trip back the ship blew an engine, and we never got to Maui. NCL isn't my favorite line, but they do have a decent itinerary. I figure its just a floating hotel to get me to the islands. I only have about 10 days so I figure its a good way to get to the different islands, without having to fly. Are you flying to China from Phila? We are leaving out of JFK.

Kathy

Kathy

We are flying from Phila to Chicago on United.

We had no problems going to fanning - It was basically the lack of food. I hope this trip the food is better. I tried to cruise so I can see more and not have to waste time finding a place to eat.

We are booked at the Shangri-La Beiging. Should arrive on the 20th.

I am officially retiring at the end of the year (35 years). I just am making sure that all the ER's and IEP's are completed. I am looking for a new career. Any suggestions?

Irv

Jerry...sounds like you have got us all beat on the amount of countries visited, let alone cruises. So after all those adventures what place have you enjoyed the most visiting and don't say the next place;)

Did you purchase anything of unique interest while you were in China?

How would you rate your Viking experience overall?

L:) ri

Lucky you! I have 25 years in, but in NJ I need to be 55, which I'm not. So I have about 6 more. I would do anything to never write another IEP again. Were you in the public schools. I've worked in MT. Laurel for the last 20. NCL did't have the greatest food, I'm trying to tell myself it will be good for weight loss, which somehow never happens. We are flying from JFK to Seoul direct, and then to Beijing. I've never done a 14 hour flight before, hopefully I can sleep.

Kathy

Archived