Viking China

2tsquared

Several people have quoted prices in RMB or Chinese currency for small purchases in shops (beer, cokes, etc). Do shops except dollars or just the streer vendors?

The ships balconies look pretty small on brochures. Little or no privacy?

How do they work out?

Never tried cashing US$ in shops, but it's easy to get RMB from hotel or ATM, or even at your home bank before you leave.

Balcony wonderful for sitting in the open air, drying a few small items of clothing, but not much more. I chatted with neighbors, so as you can imagine - not much privacy. Look here: /Users/nancymcf/Desktop/P5150191.JPG

Jack

I agree with Jack on both counts.

The balcony is fairly small--it has a couple of metal chairs and no table. We enjoyed sitting out there most evenings for a late afternoon toddy before getting ready for dinner.

Thank you for the money tips. Unfortunatly my bank with as big as they are, Wachovia, does not deal in China's Currency. Was it a problem to exchange US Dollars ($100's & $50s) for smaller currency, or did they not want to do that either? I made sure that the cash is bran-spankin new.

Were the hair dryers any good, or do I need to bring my own?

What about an iron/steamer were there any available?

The electrical outlets, do you need a voltage reduction device or just the adapter?

Did anyone use the safes? Is it a good idea?

Was theft a problem when out and about. Is a money belt necessary?

THANK YOU,

---Tina

Thank you for the money tips. Unfortunatly my bank with as big as they are, Wachovia, does not deal in China's Currency. Was it a problem to exchange US Dollars ($100's & $50s) for smaller currency, or did they not want to do that either? I made sure that the cash is bran-spankin new.

Were the hair dryers any good, or do I need to bring my own?

What about an iron/steamer were there any available?

The electrical outlets, do you need a voltage reduction device or just the adapter?

Did anyone use the safes? Is it a good idea?

Was theft a problem when out and about. Is a money belt necessary?

THANK YOU,

---Tina

Hi, Tina,

You should have no trouble exchanging US$ for RMB in the hotels. In our HK hotel, we used our remaining RMB to help pay our bill. They'll change in US$, RMB, or HK$. ATM's also will be fine, although we used them only in Hong Kong and Shanghai.

We used the ship's (and hotel's) dryer. It was fine, but we both have quite short hair. The ship and hotels use 220, not 110.

Don't remember an iron on board. Did use one in the Beijing hotel.

The safe in your room on board is a good idea, easy to use.

I'd recommend a money belt or other secure pocket. I wore convertible pants with a sippered pocket. Pick pockets are no a major problem, we're told, but better safe ... We never felt unsafe on the streets.

Sounds like you're ready to enjoy this magnificent trip!

Jack and Nancy

Thanks for all your advice and pictures, We are going on the Cultural Tour starting July 19, We are getting really excited

Did anybody use Vikings Passport service? We were considering driving to NYC but it seems like it might be more convient and actually cheaper using the service,

Are there any must see things?

Thanks

Irv

Thanks for all your advice and pictures, We are going on the Cultural Tour starting July 19, We are getting really excited

Did anybody use Vikings Passport service? We were considering driving to NYC but it seems like it might be more convient and actually cheaper using the service,

Thanks

Irv

We mailed our passports directly to the Chinese Embassy. No problem.

With the Viking guides, you'll have no trouble seeing the best things. One day we were given a choice to see the Jade Cave or a relocated city. Although they warned of steps to and in the cave, we chose it and were so glad. Wonderful!

Try to take some time to meet a few locals. Our kite-maker friend on the river bank in Wuhan was special. And check out Hank and his wife's episode with the folks in the same city. Wonderful!

Jack and Nancy

IRV54:

I used Vikings recommended Visa service I live in Ft Laud/Miami area and I weighted the time, gas, tolls/parking fees to that of the convience and it was hands down worth it. I had my visa/passport back exactly 1 week from when I sent it FEDEX. However, when they sent it back using FEDEX they did not require a signature for the envelope and I came home to find it on my door step. That is a little scary :eek: so if you use them have it sent to work or where someone is always home.

I know what you mean by being excited. Our flight departs in 30 HOURS!!!!!!! I am definetly going to take advantage of the massage/spa next to the Hilton when we get to Beijing.

Jack: How bad where the steps? Was there a boat load of them or just steep? Did anyone have any trouble? How hot was it in the cave?

Tina

IRV54:

I know what you mean by being excited. Our flight departs in 30 HOURS!!!!!!! I am definetly going to take advantage of the massage/spa next to the Hilton when we get to Beijing.

Jack: How bad where the steps? Was there a boat load of them or just steep? Did anyone have any trouble? How hot was it in the cave?

Tina

The worst steps were just getting ashore, which everyone getting off the ship had to do. The steps in the cave were well made, regular, and in the middle of some of the most beautiful geologic formations I've ever seen.

A few in our group had that massage near the Hilton. They came back very relaxed and happy!

Tina, we know you'll have a great trip. Sorry, we've never videotaped, so our comment wouldn't mean anything. We did take hundreds of pictures, though.

Jack and Nancy

Thanks

Irv

Both my grandson and I used the Viking Service/forms for the visa ...took one week to the day....worth the peace of mind and price....... we are on the July 2nd Cultural Tour..... Bruce

Jack,

We spotted your kite guy on the riverbank, too. Unfortunately, we only saw him once we were back on board and the boat was about to sail off. I was disappointed because I've always loved colorful kites and wanted to bring one back for my nephew, but we enjoyed watching them fly from the riverbank as we stood on the balcony of the ship. I'm glad you could get to meet him.

We also used the visa service Viking recommends and they were very fast. Living in the deep South, going to a consulate or embassy to handle this in person wasn't an option for us.

Tina should be headed for the airport right about now and in for the time of her life.

Hank

Jack,

We spotted your kite guy on the riverbank, too. Unfortunately, we only saw him once we were back on board and the boat was about to sail off. I was disappointed because I've always loved colorful kites and wanted to bring one back for my nephew, but we enjoyed watching them fly from the riverbank as we stood on the balcony of the ship. I'm glad you could get to meet him.

Tina should be headed for the airport right about now and in for the time of her life.

Hank

Hank,

The kite maker was fun. He spoke no English, and seemed delighted that I said "Ne how." Pulled out a chair for Nancy to sit on, then dusted a foot stool for me, so we could both relax as we looked at his kites. We wanted a large butterfly, but it was bamboo framed. He showed me how he'd built it to take apart so I could fit it in my suitcase. It worked, and we got it home safely. My favorite souvenir cost us 18 RMB ($2.25, or so) - I had no interest in bargaining here, by the way. We asked if we could take his picture - he primped, removed his straw hat, smoothed his shirt and hair, put on a baseball cap, and smiled! Precious moment.

Yes, all you heading for China with Viking are in for a treat.

Jack

Kathy,

I noticed that you are from Atlantic City. What did your air travel plans turn out to be? We'll be leaving August 24 from Philadelphia and I'm curious about what our flight might be. My travel agent said I won't find out until July. Have a wonderful trip!

Cynthia

Hi Lori and all the rest of you Viking China cruisers..... Just returned from spending a couple of weeks in Newfoundland. Did a few ferry crossings, but no cruising on this trip.

To Manny's mom, my husband and I stayed at the Beijing Hotel in September 2004 when we traveled with Viking and found it to be a good facility. The tour group rooms are located in the West Wing (1955 addition) of this century old hotel and feature standard two queen beds in their double rooms with an in room safe. With nearly 900 rooms and five restaurants, one can easily become lost just navigating their way to the restaurant's breakfast buffet the first morning or making ones way up to the pool area as its three major sections do not connect at all floor levels. There are lots of hotel shops scattered throughout the main floor with merchandise for every budget. http://www.cbw.com/hotel/beijing/

While we were staying there, the military leadership in China changed hands and a large political dinner was hosted in the reception and banquet area across from the main hotel entrance our second evening in Beijing with lots of media coverage and a high level of security throughout. Definately a trip highlight! Location, location, however, is the greatest plus for staying in this facility as you are within easy walking distance of Tiananmen Square and the Forbidden City.

Viking apparently now uses Shangri-La properties in most of the large cities on its various itineraries which was not our experience in '04, so this is the only accommodation that I can advise you on.......

Have a good trip!

LT

Just found out we are staying at Beijing Hotel' date=' Beijing

Shangri-La, Xian

Shangri-La, Shanghai

Sheraton Hotel, Guilllin

Kowloon Shangri-La, Hong Kong

Has anyone stayed at any of these? What did you think?

Kathy[/quote']

We stayed at the Shangri-La in Shanghai and we loved it. It's a terrific modern hotel in beautiful condition. The hotel is directly across the river from the Bund (very close to the landmark Pearl TV tower) and has wonderful views when the city is lit up at night.

Somehow we got a random upgrade to a wonderful room on the top floor, so we had little extras like a fruit basket waiting for us when we walked in the room. How nice.

For the shoppers, there are some very high-end shops in the hotel and there's a multi-story shopping mall right next door. The basement of that mall contains a big and very crowded Lotus grocery store (think Wal-Mart SuperCenter with a Chinese/Thai twist) where we loaded up on munchies, a bottle of liquor and mixers (we started our trip in Shanghai). The other floors of the mall are mostly a big department store (with the biggest ladies shoe section you've ever seen in your life--the women who saw it couldn't get over it).

At night, after the acrobat show, we walked across the street and strolled the riverbank with all the local young lovebirds and soaked in the wonderful view. There are several little cafes along that section of the riverbank and they were all packed when we were there even though it was fairly late on a Sunday night, so you'll be perfectly safe strolling at night.

The breakfasts at the Shangri-La were superb--by far the best of the trip, although the breakfasts on the ship were also excellent. The only trick is that you have to walk through the entire restaurant before loading your plate since all kinds of yummy items are tucked away in various places.

The hotel has a Bank of China ATM tucked away in a corner in a stairwell near the "Bat Bar". If you want to get cash from the ATM, this is a great place to do it, but you'll have to ask someone to point you the way.

The level of service at this hotel was simply superb.

Archived