Viking China

2tsquared

How do you know what hotels you have so far in advance? We are leaving in late Aug. and still haven't heard, where did you get your info?

Thanks, L:) ri

Lori,

When we booked and made a deposit, they sent us a detailed itinerary that listed the hotels.

Just got back from the China Viking River cruise yesterday. We were part of the 21 people that left from Riverside. Our trip started badly because we didn't leave with all out of L.A. United Airline cancelled a flight the morning we were leaving and we were on that flight, we had to stay overnight in LA. but got off the next day and arrived in Shangai a day late missed the first day excursion and the diner and show the second night which was the Chinese Acrobat. we brought 300 one dollars bills and 250.00 in fives we brought some twenty dollars bills for the crew tipping and larger purchases. we came back with singles and fives, so I think I had enough. the rest of the trip we were blessed we had no rain until we reached Beijing which was at the end of the trip for us. we were on the trip that had the cabin Electrical fire, we found out about it by knowing people on that floor, they didn't ring any siren or give the rest of passenger any warning at all.

the trip to the viking sponsor school was a delight, wonderfull to see all those children and they prepared a special show for the viking travellers. All the accomodations on the ship were first class. I personnally got montezuma revenge for about four days. but that was only a single case. no one else that I know got it . the service was premiers, the hotel were first class, the sofitel was gorgeous hotel, the hilton construction is over no problem there at all. The weather was very hot and humid. In Beijing no free time at all to shop, you may want to opt out like some did in our group to go shopping. they keep you hopping all day, so you have to decide what you want to miss.

Lori,

When we booked and made a deposit, they sent us a detailed itinerary that listed the hotels.

Lucky you, I booked last Feb, paid in full through an agent and did get an info packet but no hotels.

Did you book directly through Viking?

If I remember correctly your are going in 2007...maybe that is something they are doing now.. I did call my travel agent and he did find out my flight and gave me my hotels as well.

Beijing...Shangri-La

Xian...Sofitel

Shaghai...Westin.

I think yours are totally different if I recall.

thanks for responding...L:) ri

43AL thanks for the informative post...I found it interesting about your flight out of LAX cancelled. Was it direct to Shanghai? Why was it cancelled?

We live in Orange County and we are going to fly LAX to Vancouver then to Beijing.. and on the way home another stop in Vancouver...I was hoping we would have gone to SF....but that is how we are scheduled, now I'll just hope no flight cancellations. I would hate to miss the wall and square on our side of the tour.

Give us some more details about what you enjoyed most.

You would have thought a siren would have rung with the fire, we have such strick laws here in CA we forget that other states and countries don't...glad everyone was okay.

L:) ri

Land Lover I booked through American Express and though there was 20+ out of Riverside, we were not all on the same flight out of LAX we were on different flight we got to the airport the morning of the 24th and we gave ourselves more than four hours. LAX is a nightmare and it was that morning, we were put in a line which an hour later found out it was the wrong one. finally we get to the counter to find out my flight was cancelled, never was given a reason why. tried all day to get to San Francisco because the connecting flight to Shanghai was leaving SF at 12:05 never made it, United employee do not care and they didn't that I was in a group or not. Spent the night in LA, they wouldn't pay for it though it was their problem but made it to Shanghai the second night missed the excursion for the day and the dinner and show that night which included the chinese Acrobat.

43AL....what a hassel for the airport, yes LAX can be a real pain. Sorry to here though that you didn't get much help from United. Hard to believe you couldn't catch a flight to SF. We are flying Air Canada, we will be flying out on a Thursday,how early was your flight scheduled for?

So how would you rate Viking compared to other trips/cruises you have been on?

Lori,

Yes, I booked directly with Viking. We originally wanted to go on the Misty Mountains of the Yangtze trip but they are discontinuing that one in 2007. Since we haven't sent in our PIFs yet (still waiting to get one passport), we probably won't get anything regarding flights. I'm hoping we go from Baltimore to Minneapolis then straight to Beijing, instead of having to fly to the West Coast. Please take lots of notes about your trip and post them upon your return.

Thanks.

Lucky you, I booked last Feb, paid in full through an agent and did get an info packet but no hotels.

Did you book directly through Viking?

If I remember correctly your are going in 2007...maybe that is something they are doing now.. I did call my travel agent and he did find out my flight and gave me my hotels as well.

Beijing...Shangri-La

Xian...Sofitel

Shaghai...Westin.

I think yours are totally different if I recall.

thanks for responding...L:) ri

Lori,

Yes, I booked directly with Viking. We originally wanted to go on the Misty Mountains of the Yangtze trip but they are discontinuing that one in 2007. Since we haven't sent in our PIFs yet (still waiting to get one passport), we probably won't get anything regarding flights. I'm hoping we go from Baltimore to Minneapolis then straight to Beijing, instead of having to fly to the West Coast. Please take lots of notes about your trip and post them upon your return.

Thanks.

22travel, to bad about the Misty Mtn. tour.

Look for your flight assignment about 90 days before...after getting my Record locator number from Viking today, I looked up my reservation and was able to see, that my ticket was purchased on May 28. Lucky for us we did have okay auto seat assigments, except for our first leg none were assigned...I could see on an internet site that only singles were available so grabded two aisles. Don't want to not have a seat if they over book and we are somehow delayed getting to the airport. How long would the flight be from Minn. if that is what you are assigned?

More Later, L:) ri

Hi Kathy

Well - It seems like we will be at home with the weather. Hot and Humid

I completed my 35th year and they offered an early retirement incentive i could not refuse.(26 people retired). My travel agents wants me to work with her. She thinks I would be great. Are there any openings for a special education consultant in your area? I am teacher on assignment and have worked to make IEP's and the entire IEP process easier.

I have done a 12 hor flight but we had individual tv's. United has one or two movies. I guess I will try to read. I do have pills the doc gave me if I get desperate.

Did anybody get any immunization? My doc says no, my wife say tetnis.

Have a great trip

Irv

We should talk sometime, there is a big calling for special ed advocates. There are 2 in our local area, they do diagnostics, and consultations, and either do or arrange evals. They are making great money, and there aren't enough of them. I'm busy packing, trying to keep down what I'm taking, and trying to save room for buying things. My husband and I actually got tetnus, and hepatitis A shots. My gastro doctor prescribed an antibiotic to take before I would get sick. I took it in Egypt over Christmas., and everyone on the tour got sick but me, so he prescribed it again.

Kathy

Hi Kathy

Well - It seems like we will be at home with the weather. Hot and Humid

I completed my 35th year and they offered an early retirement incentive i could not refuse.(26 people retired). My travel agents wants me to work with her. She thinks I would be great. Are there any openings for a special education consultant in your area? I am teacher on assignment and have worked to make IEP's and the entire IEP process easier.

I have done a 12 hor flight but we had individual tv's. United has one or two movies. I guess I will try to read. I do have pills the doc gave me if I get desperate.

Did anybody get any immunization? My doc says no, my wife say tetnis.

Have a great trip

Irv

Irv, I got my tetanus shot yesterday; I was due for it anyway. Nothing else though.

Cynthia

We are going the end of September. Would like some opinions on which excursions are possible to skip. DH and I really need a little down time while traveling. I had heard that the Viking River school could be missed, but then recently read that it was delightful. Also read that the Peking Opera could be skipped. Any opinions would be gratefully appreciated! (We are hoping for a little more mild weather in late September/Oct.;) )

Kathy

It would be great if we can talk. I also have contacts if you want to do some extra work. I have some of our retiring speech therapists obtain some work'

Murphey

I hope to write about the trip when we return. Viking told me that the school is one of the highlights - I have seen lots of schools. Read some of the recent reviews and look at pictures that others have taken

I recieve the new China Borchure today -prices went up at least $400 and no $100 airfair

We are looking forward to the trip Started to pick out clothes - mo sports coats and lots of shorts

We leave Wednesday - It looks like there is no one else on cruisecritic on this cruise

Hi, you can email me at kds32057@comcast.net

I've been packing myself. I bought these space bags, you put stuff in and then roll out the air. It may weigh the same, but it definately is taking up less room,so I will have some space to buy things. I also packed an empty bag, and a back pack, I figure if all else fails, we can use those. How long are you staying? We leave the 17, and come home the 31st, we're doing the 4 day extension in Hong Kong.

Kathy

Your lucky. I knew about the flight, but, I used my mileage points, and Continental wasn't giving up any seats when I booked last Sept. So, we booked through Delta, going through JFK, and we are direct to Seoul and then to Beijing, but, we get to go first class, and for free.

Kathy

We are are arriving at Beiging on the 19th. Maybe we can meet that evening.

We are only packing two suitcases and then we plan to but a suitcase or two in Hong Kong because we are allowed two bags on American airlines.

Lori

I am not sure what you mean by a 3% charge, Mastercharge/Visa charge a conversion fee and if you use the ATM it is up to the your bank here and the ATM you are using here. I just open an account at a local bank that has no bank charges for ATM use anywhere in the world. Hope this helps

Counting the days

Lori

I am not sure what you mean by a 3% charge, Mastercharge/Visa charge a conversion fee and if you use the ATM it is up to the your bank here and the ATM you are using there. I just open an account at a local bank that has no bank charges for ATM use anywhere in the world. Hope this helps

Counting the days

The ATM there is what I am talking about, I swear I read it some where, I could be mistaken but thats why I'm asking. Because it said it was a percentage of what you withdrew.

Anyone had the experience?

Kathy

We will not be arriving until the 20th. We leave Phila on the 19th. This is the longest vacation we have taken. When are you leaving? Have a great trip. We can talk when you get back.

Are you visiting the school? We have been advised to bring school supplies (pen, pencils, erasers etc).

Lori - I spoke with MC. They charge a 3% service charge for coverting money (Anywhere in the world). I believe that VISA also has the same policy. They said it use to be included in the bill but they were oerdered to break out the charge. If you are converting money it probably is a wash. A VISA or MC checkcard also charges 3%. Using at ATM bank card is based on your bank.

Hope this is information is correct. You can call MC/VISA to make sure.

We're on the 9 night tour, so I don't think we go to the school. 2 weeks is our absolute max, my husband won't close his office longer than that. Our summer trip the last few years has been 2 weeks. Our Christmas vacation is usually a few days shorter because I need to get back to school, and I have a 15 year old that needs to go back as well. If I don't talk to you again, have a great time.

Kathy

Archived