Viking China

2tsquared

Sad to say, we were working with a company in Bucharest. No cruise, no tour:( . It is a beautiful country. I really want to do one of those cruises down the Danube. Have you done that?

Ladies,

Someone a while back asked about the toilet situation in China. Everywhere you go the ladies room have eastern style toilets - hole in the ground, some fancier than others. Immediately upon entering any ladies room head straight to the handicapped stall - it is always western style! Be quick, cause there are always long lines for that toilet. Carry your own roll of toilet paper with you, though most handicapped stalls had toilet paper dispensers.

Reba

Just a note that we are on the July 2nd Cultural China Delights trip. The hotel we are staying in Beijing is the China Hotel not the Beijing Hilton. The China Hotel is a Shangra-lai property.

The website looks good for this property. Let me know if anyone has stayed here and their comments on the property. I think that this will be better the the Hilton with the renovation going on there.

:) :)

We are going to have several hours to kill at the Hong Kong airport before going to Beijing. I thought we might find an ATM to get some chinese currency, but would we get Chinese Yuan or Hong Kong dollars at an ATM at the Hong Kong airport??? And are Hong Kong dollars accepted in Beijing and elsewhere?

We are going to have several hours to kill at the Hong Kong airport before going to Beijing. I thought we might find an ATM to get some chinese currency, but would we get Chinese Yuan or Hong Kong dollars at an ATM at the Hong Kong airport??? And are Hong Kong dollars accepted in Beijing and elsewhere?

If using the ATMs and HKG, you will be getting HK Dollars. Unfortunately HK dollars aren't accepted in Beijing, or mainland China for that. You are technically allowed to convert their to Chinese Yuan at hotel desks and the like, but I heard of a few difficulties with that.

ATMs are plentiful in Beijing, Shanghai, etc. They are at all hotels as well as the big airports - typically in baggage claim areas.

Thanks again for all the great information. I'll be on the August 25 cruise on the Viking Century Sun. Did anyone use the library on the Sun? Is there a book exchange section? How was the selection? I'll be sure to add my comments after our cruise for those of you who will be cruising later in the year.

Cynthia

Thanks again for all the great information. I'll be on the August 25 cruise on the Viking Century Sun. Did anyone use the library on the Sun? Is there a book exchange section? How was the selection? I'll be sure to add my comments after our cruise for those of you who will be cruising later in the year.

Cynthia

The library is very small and the book selection is somewhat limited as well (a couple hundred books I'd guess, and that's in all languages). It's a nice small room though - 2 square tables and that's about it. Do know that sometimes people play bridge/cards in that room as that is the only room with tables for that.

For book exchange, it's just a "take one/leave one" approach as there is no librarian on board. I finished a book on board and actually just left it as that was one less thing for me to carry around for the balance of the trip.

Glad to see this thread is still going strong.....and will be looking forward to reviews from those that are presently in China.

Just returned from a 9 country European vacation and the weather was much hotter than normal so I ended up taking to many cold weather clothes....I know we have discussed wardrobe..but I still have a few questions.....will I need more than a light sweather for evenings on the ship and light rain jacket?, will I need long slacks or can I get by with capris..will one skirt be enough, will I ever wear a long sleeve blouse? We will be leaving late Aug. returning Sept. 9...any input? Thanks L:) ri

Speaking of free time....I asked before but did not get a response (or missed it...). To those who have returned....is there any "down" time for relaxing???? We are expecting that this is going to be one of those trips where we need a vacation after our vacation!!

Murphy-->The only down time for relaxing you will get is on the boat. Otherwise it is on the bus by latest 8:30am and back many nights after 9pm.

Does anyone know what kind of adapter I will need to recharge my cell phone in China? Do they have them in the good hotels? Can I buy one there? Does the boat have one??? Please reply....I need help!

As far as adapters goes yes they are available on the boat and in the hotels; however, you are better off bringing your own. Many times they are limited and cannot accomodate everyone. You not only need an adapter but a converter as well. Remember that the rest of the world uses 220v and we only use 110v. Otherwise you will blow up what ever you plug in trust me it happened in Beijing.

Also someone asked about bathing suits. Don't waste the space or weight in your suitcase. THERE IS NO POOL ON THE SHIP!!!!! It is also WAY WAY too hot and humid to want to sit on the sun deck. Many days, probably most of them, it was well over 100 with a humidity level of 98%. No I am not joking we just got back the day before yesturday.

Tina

L:) ri-->

China was wonderful. However I do not ever see myself going back during June, July, August, or early September. I live in South Florida and I do not believe I will ever complain about the heat and humidity ever ever again. Oh it was so gross. One day we got hit with a 15min shower and everyone kinda ran for cover and all I could think was this is the driest I've been in 3 weeks. My tour guide and I just walked in the rain and enjoyed it until I somewhat dried off and my hair was the size of a lazy susan for 6.

I do not believe that we will book another vacation with Viking. There we a few other people who had cruised with them before and we truely disappointed with them in China. PEOPLE DONOT GET UPSET OR WORRIED. China was fabulous and there really is not that many companies to choose from there I (and we-the other travelers) have traveled a great deal and our expectations of a company that claims to be 5-Star/Top Notch are different than what they present. Especially when you pay over $12k for a vacation.

--Tina

Tina, Just noticed your smile:rolleyes: next to your trip, does that mean you really haven't made up your mind yet:)

No I have made up my mind. If you roll your pointer over the face it says 'rolling eyes.' I am referring to Viking.

Tina, Thanks for giving us your honest opinion..... the more I travel the more I have lowered my expectations especially from what is advertized and what is delivered... after your wonderful experience in Egypt how can another exotic trip compare? I am glad you enjoyed China.....so I take it that I should bring the "throw away" light weight tops? I really don't know what humidity is like living in So. CAL my whole life, but I have felt it in other parts of the world. What do you suggest for women's clothing?

L:) ri

Lori' date=' when are you leaving? We go on 7/18.

Kathy[/quote']

August 25...Sept.9, right when 2 of our children start school such perfect timing:rolleyes: we did this last year and it worked out okay, but this time our youngest will be starting high school:eek: and I have a feeling he might have a problem keeping his honor classes since I just saw his final report card:(

I will be looking forward to your feedback and tips, not much longer for you.

We just booked our trip for May 07 on the Viking Century Sun for the 15 day China Cultural Tour. Our cabin will be on the main floor, category F. I do have questions about the hotels which will be Shangri-La Beijing, Shangri-La Xian, and the Shanghai Ritz Carlton. All three have so-so reviews written on them. Anyone stayed there? We are very excited about our trip. If anyone has any pointers/recommendations, we'd love to get them. Thanks!

We just booked our trip for May 07 on the Viking Century Sun for the 15 day China Cultural Tour. Our cabin will be on the main floor, category F. I do have questions about the hotels which will be Shangri-La Beijing, Shangri-La Xian, and the Shanghai Ritz Carlton. All three have so-so reviews written on them. Anyone stayed there? We are very excited about our trip. If anyone has any pointers/recommendations, we'd love to get them. Thanks!

I've stayed at the Beijing Shangri-La and the Xian Shangri-La. Both hotels were superb hotels, the Beijing property I'd rate a 5-star and the the Xian property a 4 1/2 -star (mainly due to it's somewhat dated early 90's look, but then again this is fairly common for all hotels in Xian).

The Shanghai Ritz Carlton is very solid as well, comparable to a US Ritz.

I wouldn't worry about any of the hotels. There are also many tips/pointers I've commented about during my recent trip. They're scattered throughout the various pages in this post.

....so I take it that I should bring the "throw away" light weight tops? I really don't know what humidity is like living in So. CAL my whole life, but I have felt it in other parts of the world. What do you suggest for women's clothing?

L:) ri--> If you would like to experience the true feeling of the weather go to a SAUNA and stay in there all day. I wish I were exaggerating. I am a little because a sauna will be a little hotter but the moisture is going to be exactly the same and so will the weight of the air. Next wash your sheets on your bed and dry them til they are no longer soaking wet but still damp and then crawl into bed. No matter what you do it is always like you are in a wet bathing suit. SO SO SORRY!!!! BRING A MINI FAN YOU KNOW THE ONE WOMEN USE FOR HOT FLASHES YOU WILL BE SO GREATFUL. Yes, try and bring as many 'throw away tops' as you can afford. You will change no less than twice a day. Also I recommend clothing clips so you can dry you stuff out the best as possible. Now the humidity was not that bad in Beijing, Shanghai, or Guilin. Those three cities were hot but also had a very nice breeze to compensate. If you are not opposed to truly squatting to use the toliet, skirts are the best choice. Westerns toliets are few and far between. Skirts are a blessing because they wont get 'stuff' on them.

NO CRITTERS!!! No, the ship was not at full capacity there were only 256 passengers, but I believe that was the most that ship has ever had.

---Tina

Archived