Eurodam TA Nov 2016

Sonora5

Our first sea day was very welcome. Sleep in, room service breakfast, then grab a snack from the neptune and now time for lunch!

It was a little tense in the lounge post election as there were those, including us, who had strong feelings about the election. So we darted in to grab supplies a few times but mostly avoided it.

We played a little trivia and did the thermal suites, and got ready for Gala Night and the Master Chef Dinner. We were not really that dressed up. Mr S likes to wear a dressy guayabera for dress up, and I am convinced that any dress counts.

We met our fellow diners in the Pinnacle Bar. We were nine, and we led in to the Pinnacle "private" dining area as a group. The group was convivial and the election, fortunately, was left undiscussed. My table companion turned out to know some people I know, and we had a lively and wide ranging discussion about many interesting topics.

The chef, sommelier and assistants were all present at various points. The food was delicious and the wine pairings wonderful. I am not much of a drinker but even I recognized that the wines were really suiting the food.

Here is the menu:

Goose Liver, Mache, Avocado, Raspberry Kaffir Vinaigrette

Grand Royale

Frappe of Lobster and Porcini

Chateau St Michelle Dr Loosen, Eroica Riesling

Potato and Mustard Seed Crusted Cod Fish with Caviar

Laboure-Roi, Pouilly

Lime and Candied Ginger Granite

Duo of Veal Maitre Cuisinier de France, Black Truffle, Pearl Onion and Pureed Artichokes

Antinori Pian Delle Vigne

Assortment of Artisan Cheeses, Honeycomb and Fruit Compote

Otima 10 year old Tawny

Dialogue of Chocolate Seduction

Dow's Late Bottled Vintage

Petit Fours

Coffee and Tea

We heard that the Chef's Dinners were coming to an end. No real reason was given. We also heard that management wanted all the food to be the same fleet wide. That means the opportunity for a Chef to stand out with wonderfully unique and flavorful dishes will be ending. They will become cooks not Chefs.

This is the napkin rings used for our Chef's Dinner

IMG_5356_zpslgpddixe.jpg

I wonder if the reason HAL wants standardization of all the food fleetwide is due to the constant whining about food on these boards. Most of the food complaints seem to be insubstantial. The complainers call to mind the couple we met several cruises ago who were relieved to find a Subway right by their Barcelona hotel.

Eek!

On to Madeira.

Madeira was our last port before 8 sea days. We had booked a private excursion with Daniel Madeira Taxis, who I highly recommend. We had toured with them before and were very pleased.

This time I had specially requested a stop at the Lava Pools at Porto Moniz. Pictures of that area looked very interesting. We also planned to sop at Cabo Girao-a must stop in a tour of Madeira, it is a fabulous view point and the highest sea cliff in Europe- as well have lunch somewhere local and a stop for shopping.

Our guide/driver, Leandro, did not disappoint. He drove us all over the island, one amazing view after another. Cabo Girao is beautiful, and the lava pools were all I had imagined. People were actually swimming in them, in November! Too cold for me.

We had lunch at a little seafood restaurant in Sao Vicente. of course we ordered the fish, it was amazingly fresh, and came with large quantities of veggies and other sides. We sampled pancho, the local hooch, and it was quite stimulating. Leandro was knowledgeable and entertaining. We love Madeira, but all too soon it was time to get back on board and ready ourselves for eight long, luxurious sea days.

Madeira was our last port before 8 sea days. We had booked a private excursion with Daniel Madeira Taxis, who I highly recommend. We had toured with them before and were very pleased.

This time I had specially requested a stop at the Lava Pools at Porto Moniz. Pictures of that area looked very interesting. We also planned to sop at Cabo Girao-a must stop in a tour of Madeira, it is a fabulous view point and the highest sea cliff in Europe- as well have lunch somewhere local and a stop for shopping.

Our guide/driver, Leandro, did not disappoint. He drove us all over the island, one amazing view after another. Cabo Girao is beautiful, and the lava pools were all I had imagined. People were actually swimming in them, in November! Too cold for me.

We had lunch at a little seafood restaurant in Sao Vicente. of course we ordered the fish, it was amazingly fresh, and came with large quantities of veggies and other sides. We sampled pancho, the local hooch, and it was quite stimulating. Leandro was knowledgeable and entertaining. We love Madeira, but all too soon it was time to get back on board and ready ourselves for eight long, luxurious sea days.

Thank you for your extremely interesting reviews. I look forward to hearing of your sea days!

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

It was a little tense in the lounge post election as there were those, including us, who had strong feelings about the election. So we darted in to grab supplies a few times but mostly avoided it.

We played a little trivia and did the thermal suites, and got ready for Gala Night and the Master Chef Dinner. We were not really that dressed up. Mr S likes to wear a dressy guayabera for dress up, and I am convinced that any dress counts.

We met our fellow diners in the Pinnacle Bar. We were nine, and we led in to the Pinnacle "private" dining area as a group. The group was convivial and the election, fortunately, was left undiscussed. My table companion turned out to know some people I know, and we had a lively and wide ranging discussion about many interesting topics.

Good that the topic was not discussed. It could have spoiled not only the meal, but the vacation as well.

I took this picture of the port city Funchal on our previous TA April 2015. That was on the Epic doing a west to east cruise. Whether your room is port or starboard and which direction the ship docks will determine your view. The next picture is what we actually saw on this trip.

The fort in the center is São João Baptista do Pico (St John the Baptist of Pico Fort).

P4265011_zps8x0bnds5.jpg

Edited by ZN1300
added text

As you can see there is quite a difference.

TIP: If you should have the fortune of cruising into Malta, get a starboard room. This gives you the best view of the old 'island fortress' city. The port view is ok but the old city view is wonderful.

PB098619_zpsmffkurd8.jpg

Edited by ZN1300
added text