La Coruna Port - which excursion to do??

spr5988

This is my first post here so I hope I'm posting the best way!

I am deciding what to do in La Coruna our one day in port from 12pm to 8pm. There just seems to be so many options.

Option 1)There is a 5.5 hour tour to Santiago to see the cathedral that sounds wonderful and I can tell from other reviews people think it's worth visiting there.

Option 2) It sounds like the Town itself has a lot to see and is worth not doing an excursion and walking around.

Option 3) La Coruna and Betanzos - I can't find a lot about this online but it sounds cool in the description.

Help! Have you been and what would you recommend. Since it a 12pm to 8pm would that impact your decision as well?

Thanks!

What sort of things do you like? I mean, I know seeing a Cathedral would not be how I want to spend my day....but that's just me....

We are pretty much DIY folks....a guidebook can help you will EVERYTHING that's available in a port! Libraries have them in the reference section!

We enjoyed just walking on our own, after reading some guidebooks beforehand. We walked through the town, admiring the narrow streets and the crystal balconies, to the other side of the isthmus, with its broad beach, promenade, and on to the Tower of Hercules and several small parks. There is a little tram which does a longer circuit.

I believe the Cathedral is spectacular, but if I ever see it I want it to be at the end of my own walking pilgrimage. However, it could be quite interesting to be there when walkers arrive, and to sense the vibe of the town.

Santiago is a must, at some time in your cruising life, being such an important part of history... yes, being a real pilgrim is the best way to go, but if you cannot manage that, then seeing the many pilgrims arrive is interesting. There's much, much more than just the cathedral to visit.

But I agree that A Coruna itself is interesting on a fine day.. we've had rainy and windy weather sometimes, because it catches the Atlantic weather. If it's fine, then,as mentioned, the walk round the peninsula is a good way to see the area; if it's too far you also can cut through the town to the other side.

Have a look on Google maps at the street view- you can walk along the promenade with that. :cool: