Tours of the forts and Old San Juan

Staticsteele1860

My Husband, Mother and I will be in San Juan in November we are interested in seeing Old San Juan, the forts and cathedral, Lots of photo ops! is there a fairly priced tour that includes most of these or is it better to walk on our own? Walking is ok but uphill too much may be a problem for some in our group.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Forums mobile app

My Husband, Mother and I will be in San Juan in November we are interested in seeing Old San Juan, the forts and cathedral, Lots of photo ops! is there a fairly priced tour that includes most of these or is it better to walk on our own? Walking is ok but uphill too much may be a problem for some in our group.

Note that all trolleys stop at cruise ship pier.

http://www.touroldsanjuan.com/trolley-map/

A related note about touring Old San Juan, in general, including El Morro, etc.: It is not just a matter of walking uphill in certain areas. Keep in mind much of the ground is uneven, and walking tours of Old San Juan are mostly along cobblestone streets.

We did an Old San Juan and Fortresses tour with San Juan Excursions by Island Marketing this past spring. It was great. We plan to use them again for the rainforest tour in 2017. It was $40 per adult. ($20 deposit total ahead of time, the rest of the payment after the tour.) We met the guide (don't remember the name, but he was great) in front of the Sheraton. Other people from other ships joined us. We were the only one from Carnival, no problem. There were 7 people in a larger size van.

We are not beach people and we have problems with walking also. The tour was wonderful. I highly recommend it. Like I said, we will be using them again.

One thing, they had trouble with my aol address. We had to go through my son's att.com address for email communication. (Yes, we are dinosaurs)

I absolutely loved Old San Juan. Take a private tour and take your time, might be worth it if all that walking will be tiring with some in your group.

I too used Puerto Rico Cruise excursions by Island Marketing, did 3 tours with them and was not disappointed. Their beach break package was great and well worth it. The Fortresses tour was more than informative and we saw everything there was to see. Our guide really took his time with us, asked us what was most important to us and off we went!

• 3 weeks later...
I absolutely loved Old San Juan. Take a private tour and take your time, might be worth it if all that walking will be tiring with some in your group.

I too used Puerto Rico Cruise excursions by Island Marketing, did 3 tours with them and was not disappointed. Their beach break package was great and well worth it. The Fortresses tour was more than informative and we saw everything there was to see. Our guide really took his time with us, asked us what was most important to us and off we went!

We have booked a Fortress tour with Island Marketing. Eve has been so helpful, and responds to all my e-mails quickly. I do have a question about the forts. We will be in San Juan in February. I would like to see El Morro, but the Fortress tour is for San Cristóbal. Should we try to see both forts?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

We have booked a Fortress tour with Island Marketing. Eve has been so helpful, and responds to all my e-mails quickly. I do have a question about the forts. We will be in San Juan in February. I would like to see El Morro, but the Fortress tour is for San Cristóbal. Should we try to see both forts?

Thanks for any info you can provide.

I can only tell you what i did, not sure what's best. I ended up going into El Morro on my own during my stay in Old san Juan. I used the same ticket so did not have to pay extra. I saw more in san Cristobal than in El Morro and it takes about 15 minutes each way, walking at a good pace, to get to the entrance of El Morro. So have water with you, i did and was happy i did in the heat.

When on tour we saw the grounds and the cemetery. I think that was good enough and glad entering was not part of the tour, even though if i wanted ot i could. BUT i stayed and new that i would do it another day, that way i got more out of my tour. So it really is up to you. I found what they told me to be true the grounds are beautiful and walking around the cemetery was worth it, creepy but worth it LOL.

Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

If you want to see the two forts I cannot imagine why you would take a tour. There are free ranger tours inside the forts. It's $5 per person for both forts (keep the receipt to show at the second Fort).

Take the free trolley in between or grab a cab.

Both have gift shops that sell bottled water in case you don't bring enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk