Seville with mobility problems

silversurf

Would like to do the Seville On Your Own tour on our forthcoming cruise.

Can anyone tell me where the P and O coach drops you off as I walk very slowly; take four times as long as a normal pace; and need to rest frequently.

I can do it if we are dropped very close to the historic centre as I have a walking stool but not if it's a mile away. Or could I perhaps get a taxi to the centre from the drop off point.

Otherwise I shall have to go on the Andalusia coach trip.

In September we took the "Seville on your own " through royal Caribbean. It appeared the drop off point was the same for all cruise lines based on number and signage of coaches. This point is far enough from the Alcazar palace for example, that if you had mobility issues you may want to get a taxi from drop off point. If you were planning to visit the palace, be advised it covers a large area and you would have to decide how much you wished to walk around.

Also, if doing this on your own, by all means purchase entrance tickets online before you leave for your cruise. The que is horrendous if you don't already have a ticket.

Seville is beautiful and the palace is magnificent. If at all possible, you would want to do this

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, we recently did 'Seville on your own' and the coach drops you in Calle la Rabida which is about 1km (or just over half a mile) form the Cathedral and the entrance to the Alcazar. Calle la Rabida is a one way street which runs parallel to Ave de Maria Luisa. You could use a taxi but we didn't see any hanging around the drop off point so you may need help from the guide on the coach to contact one. There is also a tram you could catch from Calle San Fernando - just one stop to the Cathedral area - which would roughly halve the distance you would have to walk. (Look on Google map). Buses run across the top of Calle la Rabida but I'm not sure which route they take. It also depends what you plan to do there because the Cathedral and Alcazar require more walking. Some of the narrow streets around the Cathedral also had slightly uneven cobbled areas.

However, I must admit we were a little disappointed with the trip as we found that the queues to get into places were really long and there wasn't enough time to see both the Cathderal and the Alcazar. The Cathedral doesn't open until 11am and we were waiting in the queue for over half an hour for admission. I would certainly try to book tickets on line, but I must admit I didn't find it easy to do and wasn't successful. With walking difficulties you would obviously find timings even tighter, and the trip from Cadiz is 90 minutes each way.

If you do decide to give it a try make sure you take some form of ID with you if you are of State Pension age, as you can get reduced price entry tickets.

Hope that helps, Sue.

You don't say when you will be visiting Seville. In the summer months the heat is intense, and even able bodied visitors will struggle to cope [think temperatures in the 40s]

If you are visiting in the June-August period I would strongly suggest that you pre-book a tour with air-conditioned transport.

Yes, Seville is extremely hot in summer from beginning June to end of September and this year has been excessively hot with some days reaching 50c.

If you have walking difficulties you are entitled to disabled discount in museums and at the Alcazar. This normally means your companion does not pay to enter and in the Alcazar they open the gate for you to go in separately. Museums have wheelchairs to borrow, which may be useful in the Alcazar. It is accessible with ramps.

Coaches can't go into the centre as a lot of it is pedestrianised or only allow taxis. The taxis in Seville are cheap.

If you are docking in Cadiz I would be inclined to stay there or visit Jerez de la Frontera. As lovely as Seville is, it needs a few days rather than a few hours.

The Cathedral & Alcazar are very big and will take you a time to walk around. That said, it is a wonderful place and well worth going.

We did find last year (on our own, not a cruise) that you can get a ticket for another church (Church of El Salvador, which is nearby) that also includes the main Cathedral. There were no queues at St Salvador and you use the group entrance once you get to the Cathedral where the queue was about 2 minutes.