One way car rental - Port of Miami to Ft. Meyers (RSW)

Ztras

Does anyone have any good ideas (that is, prices) on a one way car rental from the Port of Miami (or near about) to Ft. Meyers airport? I need to combine a few trips and trying to save the return trip across the state. Any ideas are helpful.

No car rentals at POM. :(

Avis, Hertz and a few others have locations in downtown Miami, close to the port; but they are sometimes overwhelmed by cruisers resulting in long delays. :mad:

National, Alamo & Thrifty (and maybe Enterprise) offer a free shuttle from POM to their MIA airport location. ;) Show the driver your reservation papers. If you get a good deal from someone else at MIA a taxi from the port will cost $27+tip.

Use your favorite travel web site (Kayak, expedia, etc.) to compare rates across many agencies; I've had some luck with www dot carrentals dot com Stick to the major agencies to avoid hard sells on insurance that you probably do not need, etc.

Good luck! :)

I'm not sure what your dates are, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding something that works.

I looked at a random Saturday in February and can see a 4 hour rental anywhere from $40-$80. Cheaper if you pick up at MIA but there are downtown options. I don't think you would find much anything cheaper than $40 or so even if you got a steal on it. Sometimes ~25% of your cost is taxes and various fees.

I think my "record" for a one day rental on a standard car was $9/day a few months ago but there was another $20 in fees. Remember you can typically book without prepaying and cancel if you find a cheaper rate later on though.

Edited by Jeremiah1212

No car rentals at POM. :(

Avis, Hertz and a few others have locations in downtown Miami, close to the port; but they are sometimes overwhelmed by cruisers resulting in long delays. :mad:

National, Alamo & Thrifty (and maybe Enterprise) offer a free shuttle from POM to their MIA airport location. ;) Show the driver your reservation papers. If you get a good deal from someone else at MIA a taxi from the port will cost $27+tip.

Use your favorite travel web site (Kayak, expedia, etc.) to compare rates across many agencies; I've had some luck with www dot carrentals dot com Stick to the major agencies to avoid hard sells on insurance that you probably do not need, etc.

Good luck! :)

Can I also get a transfer from the rental drop off at MIA to POM. I plan on driving from Venice, FL to MIA to cruise from POM. Then after the cruise reverse the trip and go from POM to MIA and pick up a rental car.

Thanks,

Wes

Edited by wrahn2002

Can I also get a transfer from the rental drop off at MIA to POM. I plan on driving from Venice, FL to MIA to cruise from POM. Then after the cruise reverse the trip and go from POM to MIA and pick up a rental car.

Thanks,

Wes

Should not be a problem.. We're flying into West Palm Beach, renting a car thru Thrifty, dropping off at MIA (they offer a free shuttle to POM).. after cruise, Free shuttle with Thrifty from POM to MIA.. one way rental back to West Palm Beach. My understanding is that only Thrifty, Alamo and Budget offer the free shuttle to the port from the airport location..

I'm not sure what your dates are, but you shouldn't have any trouble finding something that works.

I looked at a random Saturday in February and can see a 4 hour rental anywhere from $40-$80. Cheaper if you pick up at MIA but there are downtown options. I don't think you would find much anything cheaper than $40 or so even if you got a steal on it. Sometimes ~25% of your cost is taxes and various fees.

I think my "record" for a one day rental on a standard car was $9/day a few months ago but there was another $20 in fees. Remember you can typically book without prepaying and cancel if you find a cheaper rate later on though.

It's the extra taxes and fees at the airport that would make the rental more expensive, but the free shuttle negates that compared to the cost of a taxi to a Downtown rental location that will be swamped with fellow cruisers and they may run out of cars. MIA does not run out of cars.

Thanks,

Wes

National, Alamo & Thrifty (and maybe Enterprise) offer a free shuttles between POM and their MIA airport location. Show the driver your reservation papers. If you get a good deal from someone else a taxi between MI & the port will cost $27+tip.

National, Alamo & Thrifty (and maybe Enterprise) offer a free shuttles between POM and their MIA airport location. Show the driver your reservation papers. If you get a good deal from someone else a taxi between MI & the port will cost $27+tip.

Thanks - I didn't notice that on their site. Much appreciated - I'm all squared away now.