Princess fined $40 million for contaminating ocean

moki'smommy

I appreciate your comments' date=' and yes, it is likely a bit of an over-reaction and I may feel different in a year or two. For now, Princess is off our radar.[/quote']

I can understand and respect this decision. I was just pointing out that these things unfortunately do happen, even though they shouldn't. They have on RCCL, NCL, so really there is nowhere to hide (except you can claim DCL, but I'm sure there has been some type of violation that they have even engaged in and just may have not been seen, I mean it took them 11 years to find this Princess violation).

But if we gave up on every company for activities like this we couldn't go anywhere, buy anything or do anything.

But for the time being I know you and your family are going to have some amazing Disney adventures!

IMO this is a little bit of an over reaction. While I'm disappointed in what happened over at Princess, and do not condone it whatsoever it was 1 ship in an entire fleet that had this issue. If you think that any for profit company, including Disney, doesn't push their staff to reduce costs as much as possible than you're wrong. It is then up to individual people as to how the respond to that type of work environment and I guarantee you every company has people that will bend or break rules or laws in those circumstances. They are rare and are the exception to the rule, and will eventually be caught, but it happens even to Disney.

So skipping an entire line for actions of a small group seems a little unfair, otherwise you may not use any cruise line or for-profit company out there.

Again, just my thoughts, and at the end of the day you need to do what you believe to be best.

Unfortunately it was 5 vessels out of 16? so just under a third of the fleet that were falsifying oil logbooks, manipulating and cheating monitoring equipment and undertaking illegal procedures.

And yes, even DCL push their crew to reduce costs, but there is no evidence that DCL have encouraged or turned a blind eye to illegal dumping of waste at sea to reduce operating costs.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

And yes, even DCL push their crew to reduce costs, but there is no evidence that DCL have encouraged or turned a blind eye to illegal dumping of waste at sea to reduce operating costs.

ex techie

Yup, but it did take them 11 years and a whistleblower to find this out. I'm certainly not saying that it's happening on DCL, but it's certainly possible.

Yup, but it did take them 11 years and a whistleblower to find this out. I'm certainly not saying that it's happening on DCL, but it's certainly possible.

Well IMO, just like anyone else, they are innocent until proven guilty.

So while it is possible, it is also possible that they employ better engineers to service their ships, and do not have a culture that puts pressure on their crew to undertake illegal activities to save a buck.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Just to add, as per Chiefs posts above, any one of the engineers from the 5 ships, over the course of the 11 years *could* have chosen to report what was happening anonymously but none did.

That is a lot on engineers ignoring what was happening.

ex techie

IMO this is a little bit of an over reaction. While I'm disappointed in what happened over at Princess, and do not condone it whatsoever it was 1 ship in an entire fleet that had this issue. If you think that any for profit company, including Disney, doesn't push their staff to reduce costs as much as possible than you're wrong. It is then up to individual people as to how the respond to that type of work environment and I guarantee you every company has people that will bend or break rules or laws in those circumstances. They are rare and are the exception to the rule, and will eventually be caught, but it happens even to Disney.

I respect both views on this, but I don't think moki'smommy is overreacting. I'm not naive enough to believe that unscrupulous actions like this are not happening in many company to save the all mighty dollar, but when it finally and justly get's exposed, there is a price to pay. The fine in this case is part of that price. Then there is the collateral damage, in this case, lost revenue due to customers choosing other cruise lines instead. The public that learns about this type of behavior on the part of any company has the right chose to no longer give their business to that company. Just because every company in the world may be doing wrong but just haven't been caught yet, is no reason to go on supporting those who have been caught. I think that is a fair position to take.

I have never sailed on Princess. After reading this, I doubt I ever will.