When do ship charges post to credit card?

SimplySuzy

We are on the Dawn 12/23 and while we're on board, our credit card turns over to the next month.... Are all of the ship charges posted on the last day of the cruise (all at once) or are they posted each day as we make purchases, etc???

I'm trying to decide whether to pre-purchase the spa pass ($20pp savings) or to book it on the ship if it doesn't charge until the next credit card statement.

Finances on the High Seas!!

Throughout the cruise, NCL will run authorizations against your card (which will remain on your account in accordance with your credit card company's policy). But the actual charge will be made on the last night of the cruise. Passengers are not allowed to disembark without a cleared account.

They typically post them daily on your credit card but they are only "pending"to make sure they dont exceed tour credit limit - however the final total real bill does not get posted until after end of cruise. That is the day your final cruise charges are actually debited to your credit card. Just keeping a tally

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Lucy Jane

We pre-booked several shore excursions on the NCL site. By the time I clicked to checkout & pay ...... my bank sent me notification of the charges. So, for NCL, it is immediate. Regarding on board purchases (food, drinks), they probably post to your shipboard account and then the card will be processed at the end of the cruise. Makes the most sense.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

If you make any large purchases, those may be processed immediately. E.g., In the past, when we purchased a piece of jewelry for several thousand dollars, the shop charged that immediately (they didn't put it on our ship's account). It was processed through a US bank in Miami.

There is a difference between a charge to a credit card or bank card and an authorization.

Hotels and cruises work the same way. An authorization is taken initially, for the estimated amount, and is incrementally increased as you purchase things. This ensures that the funds are held and available for the business. This will appear as separate pending charges on a card if you were to look at your account.

At departure, the final charge is posted, and any remaining authorization released. This is why you see one final charge that clears, and not 57 for each individual thing you purchase.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app