Private Car transfer?

BeachBoat&breaks

We are traveling with our sons ages 3 and 16 months... Looking at the cost of using Disney transfers at $105 each way or getting a private car/limo/SUV transfer (we are Military and likely can get a slightly discounted rate). Does anyone have any experience with this or a company that they liked? The bus transfer route just seems a bit expensive for a "hurry up and wait" crowded experience vs. being on our own and able to control our departure and arrival a bit more. We are booked on the Concierge level so we should be okay once we arrive at Port. Thoughts?

We like Happy Limo and FL Tours in Orlando. Both book based on the number of guests and amount of luggage and will typically match competitor's prices. Yes, do ask about a military discount.

It WILL cost you more than the DCL bus as the "break even" point is about 4 paying guests.

Now, why you think that the DCL bus will be a "hurry up and wait" experience....it depends on whether you are going from MCO or from WDW. Taking the DCL bus from MCO is a good experience. You go from your plane or your hotel room at the MCO Hyatt to the "Welcome Center." No need to collect your luggage or deal with luggage at all--DCL/Hyatt does it for you! You check in your luggage when you board the plane at your home airport and next see it by your cabin door if you are flying in the day of the cruise (which I don't recommend, but...) If spending the night at the Hyatt, you claim bags and take them to the Hyatt or pay the Hyatt to claim them for you. But in the morning you leave them in your room and go unencumbered to the welcome center.

OK, the bus from MCO runs every 20 minutes. So you check in and get on the next bus. Your wait may be 5 minutes or may be 20 minutes but won't be more than that. Worst case, you wait 20 minutes....but you probably saved that by avoiding the stop at the luggage carousel!

If you use a limo service from MCO, YOU must claim your luggage at baggage check and take it to your driver.

The situation is different from WDW where there is one bus departure from each resort--that's where the schedule issue comes in.

On the way home, it depends greatly on whether you are on a "participating" airline or not. If so, EASY and well worth the transfer cost. You put your bags outside your cabin on the last night and see them at your HOME airport. Non-participating, you claim your bags in the terminal and take them to the bus with you or to your limo. Porters are there to help.

If you get off a DCL bus at the terminal, there is a line just for bus people (you don't go to the back of the private transportation line.) If you are on the first bus in the morning, you will be allowed in before the terminal opens to those using private transportation. This often means less waiting in line outside the terminal than if you used private transportation., particularly if you have nothing under the bus and can go directly from the bus steps to the terminal.

Once you are thru security at the terminal, there is a special concierge level check in line and from that moment on, you are in for "special handling."

Edited by moki'smommy

Excellent point on the airport and destination points. We are going to be staying at WDW Boardwalk Resort two nights prior to the cruise, and then going back to MCO after it. So the car service would be from a Disney property to the port and then port to airport! The "hurry up and wait" comment was reflective of our time at the parks from our trip in October. Sometimes, yes, one is there and leaves right away. Sometimes you wait. And depending on the wind, position of the stars, food, sleep and a butterfly flapping its wings in Siberia - toddlers (especially our 3 year old) handle the waiting, delays, crowds, luggage stacks with varying levels of aplomb.

You are correct that leaving from Boardwalk you are at the mercy of WDW and their single departure. In our case, that departure is after the time that we would otherwise be on the ship, so we are likely to use "alternate transportation." From Boardwalk the transfer by limo/towncar is easy. The hotel bellman will happily handle your luggage if desired and deliver it to the front of the hotel where you will meet the vehicle.

I'd use Happy Limo or Fl Tours although there are many excellent companies. I just have experience with these. You may need to call them since you aren't doing a "round trip" but will qualify for the round trip discount.

IF I were on a participating airline, I'd do one way with a limo and the return to MCO with DCL transfers. The benefit of getting your boarding passes in your cabin in advance and not needing to do an airport check in till you get to your gate is significant as is not having to check in the luggage. I look at prices and weigh on each trip whether it is worth the issues in flying Delta. With the recent increases in Southwest fares, it often is! That's amusing as we used to be "Southwest all the way."

I would pay for the DCL to MCO on the DME. Especially if your are flying a participating airline. It is way easier and helps with easing back into reality.

From boardwalk to DCL, if you have your car seats, check on the 1 way gov rate on a car rental. There are rental places in the hotels across from the...... Pleasure island, marketplace,.... What ever Disney is calling the shopping area now. The one way give rate can be cheap and you might be able to pick it up the night before for the same rate.

Our kids take naps in the car and I could see wanting to get their sleep caught back up after going to wdw.

Also you can make a stop at Walmart to pick up the stuff you forgot.

If you are OK with handling the kids for 30-45 min by your self your husband could drop you off at the DCL and take the rental car back by his self, it saves you from taking the shuttle with luggage and he is almost guaranteed to catch the next free shuttle to the port. There is usually a line of families waiting to take the shuttle to the port.

Also if you have a Bob or other easy pushing stroller, take it over the umbrellas or Graco junk. Your legs will we thanking you. The Bob cab be stored under the queen bed with the wheels off.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Sorry, I didn't suggest a rental car as OP had specifically asked about towncar/limo services. We have often done the car rental option. It will be the least costly, but does involve the "return" issue. On the other hand, if you are cruising concierge, does a savings of $50 on a car rental vs. towncar service mean that much? Only you can decide on priorities.

Ups, I missed that. Yea take a towncar is the way to go. You will be part of the early/ first to board. And I believe your room will be ready right a way.

Concierge staterooms are not ready straight away, but there is a secure drop off area for Concierge Guests so they can relinquish themselves of their carry on items if they want to until their Stateroom is ready.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

Correct--concierge guests can go directly to the concierge lounge. There they can enjoy snacks, deposit their luggage, confirm their reservations and add any new ones, make the onboard concierge aware of any needs or desires, and then go to lunch. Their carry on luggage will be "guarded" by the concierge until their cabin or suite is ready.

I think it is Carnival who offer their Staterooms ready on arrival for suite Guests or those who pay a fee for early access (FTTF) Fast To The Fun...... Apparently.

ex techie

The "FTTF" fee gets you on board without waiting till your normal status would allow--boarding passes are assigned based on your "frequent cruiser" status after concierge. FTTF allows you to bypass the "status" restrictions.

Princess has all the cabins ready when boarding starts--very nice.

The "FTTF" fee gets you on board without waiting till your normal status would allow--boarding passes are assigned based on your "frequent cruiser" status after concierge. FTTF allows you to bypass the "status" restrictions.

Princess has all the cabins ready when boarding starts--very nice.

Good to know!

ex techie