Star Penthouse Verandah window question

FLgemini

I've noticed in online photos of this stateroom that some have two windows and some only have one. For the rooms with two windows, it appears that one is a door to balcony and one is a plate glass window overlooking balcony. For the rooms with one window, it appears that it is a sliding door out to balcony. How can I tell which version will I have on an upcoming voyage staying in stateroom 5091? Curious if anyone has opinions about the pros and cons of each.

We had a PV last year with the window and regular door. I noticed that others were with just a slider. I found out that this is due to where your cabin is in relation to the 'ribs' (not a technical term) of the ship. It did come as a surprise as I didn't realize that we wouldn't have a slider.....but in hindsight I don't know that it really impacted us in a positive or negative way. The room was beautiful - our next cruise to the Amazon will be next year in a DV......I hope to travel n a PV again someday. I think you will be very happy either way.

That said, if you have a preference maybe call Viking to find out if they are able to determine which your stateroom offers.

We were a few cabins down from you in 5083 on the Viking Star and we also noticed that some had a door plus window and other just a "slider". I agree with Vineyard View's comment that it was a great layout on an excellent ship and whatever the configuration i am confident you will enjoy.

That said, if I did have a choice then I thinkI would prefer the slider as that gives us a corner in the cabin that we don't have to keep clear for access to the balcony. Plus in good weather it is good to keep the sliding door open but either way on our forthcoming return to the Viking Star if I was upgraded back to a PV from a DV then I would be totally happy with either configurations.

Neil

We were a few cabins down from you in 5083 on the Viking Star and we also noticed that some had a door plus window and other just a "slider". I agree with Vineyard View's comment that it was a great cabin layout on an excellent ship and whatever the configuration i am confident you will enjoy.

That said, if I did have a choice then I thinkI would prefer the slider as that gives us a corner in the cabin that we don't have to keep clear for access to the balcony. Plus in good weather it is good to keep the sliding door open but either way on our forthcoming return to the Viking Star if I was upgraded back to a PV from a DV then I would be totally happy with either configurations.

Neil

One note on the door plus window configuration-

The couch, side table and coffee table were aligned along the window side that viewed the balcony. I found that under that side table it was a great 'stash spot for treasures gathered along the way'.

But there were days when we were propping the door open in nice weather and it would have been nice to have a slider instead, so that is a great point!

Thank you both for your responses! You're right. Either way, the stateroom is a winner and the window configuration makes no difference. By looking at photos online though, it did appear to me that the door and separate window created an illusion that the stateroom looked wider - but that could just be me. Can't wait! We're on the transatlantic from San Juan to Barcelona this February. Also happy to be on starboard and get more sunlight on the way over.

Edited by FLgemini

Thank you both for your responses! You're right. Either way, the stateroom is a winner and the window configuration makes no difference. By looking at photos online though, it did appear to me that the door and separate window created an illusion that the stateroom looked wider - but that could just be me. Can't wait! We're on the transatlantic from San Juan to Barcelona this February. Also happy to be on starboard and get more sunlight on the way over.

FLgemini, I am not sure if this answers your questions, but the following may explain the differences you saw in Viking Oceans' online information. You indicate that you are booked for a Penthouse Veranda stateroom. Viking's online information is consistent in showing that it has 2 windows onto the balcony as you describe for that level of cabin. Deluxe Veranda and Veranda staterooms have only one. This would seem to be consistent with the differences for each type of cabin's square footage. Penthouse Veranda = 338 square feet vs 270 square feet for Deluxe Veranda and Veranda. Since all staterooms (except Explorer Suites and the Owner's Suite) are the same length, the extra 68 square feet of the Penthouse Veranda is in the width allowing for a two windows layout. Perhaps this explains your inquiry.

You are Correct Senior Gator. The PV ='338 ft. It is Just that some have an actual door (plus windows) and some have a slider only to the balcony dependent on where the cabin is in relationship to the 'ribs' of the ship. But yes, they are all supposed to be the same 338sq ft including balcony (which PV is also wider than DV balcony).

Got it. I was just saying that in my opinion, the two window PV stateroom visually appears wider that the one slider/window. Completely understand that all PV staterooms are same square footage and larger than DV and V. Here are two different photos to explain what I'm talking about for future researchers:

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/flgemini1/media/Viking-Star-8803_zpssno2iupg.jpg.html

http://s1383.photobucket.com/user/flgemini1/media/ftdc_VikingStar-0001_zpsmqhfbejk.jpg.html

Edited by FLgemini