Crystal Mozart Holiday Blog

JohnKen3

Thank you very much for your blog...wonderful all the detail! Just what we needed ...we are booked on the Crystal MOZART for the Dec 2017 of this same itinerary. I have been waiting for this review since it's the first year for Crystal MOZART to sail Dec. Christmas & New Years itinerary. Many thanks again! Have a wonderful 2017!

In an earlier post you mentioned that the wifi experience varied from one bus to another. Is there a way to identify the bus with the better wifi?

The logistics folder has been updated for a wifi review on the four Crystal buses.

I have also added in a couple more pictures of rooms to avoid on deck one when the boat is docked in Vienna for some time.

I have also got to move a Penthouse Suite booking I have in Sept as the door faces the Saloon. The door of the saloon never closes so it can get noisy especially when they are blow drying hair.

Also both laundry room has doors on both sides of corridors. These doors never are never closed too.

Penthouse Suite 200 is particularly private it faces a solid wall.

Edited by JohnKen3

The logistics folder has been updated for a wifi review on the four Crystal buses.

I have also added in a couple more pictures of rooms to avoid on deck one when the boat is docked in Vienna for some time.

I have also got to move a Penthouse Suite booking I have in Sept as the door faces the Saloon. The door of the saloon never closes so it can get noisy especially when they are blow drying hair.

Also both laundry room has doors on both sides of corridors. These doors never are never closed too.

Penthouse Suite 200 is particularly private it faces a solid wall.

Great information in your logistic folder, Ken! Your blog is a keeper, and I have it bookmarked.

Thanks for all your efforts in providing the rest of us with such useful information in planning our own journeys.

In your blog you mentioned that Crystal provided a shuttle into Vienna for the morning one day. Your voyage has a somewhat unique itinerary for the holiday voyage and also due to the need for some scheduling adjustments. Do you get the impression that Crystal ever offers shuttles in Vienna on the regular voyages?

I have been looking at the metro / train / tram system in Vienna, and it appears that we would have to make several transfers to get to the places of interest to us. It certainly would be nice if Crystal offered a shuttle to an area of interest to tourists.

Crystal shuttles are to Schwedenplatz about two miles away. Not sure I would consider it central at all but there is a subway station there.

Looks like the shuttles are a regular thing in Vienna. We are back on schedule tomorrow with excursions planned throughout the day. Crystal is still offering regular shuttles to Schwedenplatz.

There is a subway station, Handelski, about 10 mins walk away from where the Mozart docks.

Reception can you call taxi - normally about a 15 min. Not sure how much this would be. Loads for Vienna shuttles offer on this trip since the Mozart is stuck in Vienna.

Out of interest, if anyone falls ill, Crystal can get a doctor to make a house call if required. Saw him give a prescription to the husband of the patient and told reception to call him a taxi since the address of the pharmacy was on the prescription.

Edited by JohnKen3

Schwedenplatz does seem to be an odd choice for the shuttle stop. There is not a lot to see at that location, but it was probably chosen because that location does have lots of transportation options to get you where you want to go by either tram or subway.

Does Crystal provide nice maps for each port similar to what they do on their ocean vessels? If so, do they show major transportation options on the map? Do I need to fend for myself to obtain details of public transportation options?

Does Crystal provide nice maps for each port similar to what they do on their ocean vessels? If so, do they show major transportation options on the map? Do I need to fend for myself to obtain details of public transportation options?

Maps are in colour and marginally bigger on the ocean vessels. No transport details. I will sent you a picture of the map by email.

You have to download more detail transportation maps from the web.

Edited by JohnKen3

JohnKen,

I've loved reading your blog and seeing how you enjoyed the things we had previously corresponded about. I'm so glad you enjoyed Neal since I had recommended him so strongly and you had concerns about the evening entertainment. The addition of the band sounds wonderful as well! The Christmas and NYE cruise sounds much more special than what we experienced for Thanksgiving and the Presidents cruise (which was actually more annoying than anything). And I'm glad you had a great dinner at Steirereck as well. We enjoyed dinner, but had a couple of service snafus and didn't think it deserved its top ten ranking as compared to other top tens we've visited. It was still a great dinner, but certainly not number 9 in the world.

Sounds like a great trip! I'm so jealous you got to cruise the Wachau during the day!! Maybe Crystal is starting to figure out this river cruising thing.

• 1 month later...

JohnKen3, I know it's been a while since your cruise but just wondering what the procedure is on disembarkation day. I am positive I read somewhere (but can't think where now) that one can check out but leave their bags on the ship and return to collect them later in the day? Our flight out of Vienna isn't until 10.00pm so it would be wonderful if this was the case. It appears that the embarkation and disembarkation times are not as rigid as the Ocean ships?

Thanks

Shirin

Somehow after diligently updating the blog during the river cruise, I never did get around to writing about embarkation day.

Yes - one can check out but leave their bags on the Mozart and return to collect them later in the day.

When we arrived at 12:20pm, we saw some bags sitting in a corner next to the pantry. I thought it was bags waiting to go into staterooms that were not ready yet. However, at 3 pm when all the rooms must have been available, the bags were still there, so those bag must for someone on the cruise before in the same position as you will be. No idea when the bags have to picked up by. I do know reception can call you a taxi - it will take about 15-20 mins for the taxi to arrive.

As ours was the last cruise for the season so the Mozart was going to sail off somewhere in the afternoon and/or all crew were going to vacate the boat to go home themselves. We heard that a couple who were on an evening flight were told that Crystal had arranged for a complementary day room at the Ritz Carlton hotel in Vienna for their use - a really nice touch

By the way, if you wish to return to the Mozart and wish to shower and/or freshen up prior to your flight, I think you can use the showers in the spa area (by the swimming pool). I am aware of this as I was in the pool when a member of the reception brought the "von Trapp family singers" into the spa to show them the changing area so they could change in and out of their costumes. There is one proper shower room with a decent shower (like the ones in the room). To be honest, that shower room in the spa area is double/triple the size of the shower in your room, even the Penthouse Suites.You might wish to pack your bathroom shower gel and shampoo to use in the Spa. Towels are plentiful. If you ask in the salon for locker, you leave your room key in exchange, there is even a bathrobe in the locker.

They still want you vacate the room but free to use the facilities on the boat.

They is no special room where bags can be held on-board. Even bags that are going to be loaded on the busses to the airport are sorted into groups in the area in front of the reception desk. You will be give a Crystal luggage tag with a number so they know what to do with your bag.

Edited by JohnKen3

Hi JohnKen3. I have been hooked on your blog and had asked a question regarding the same cruise/itinerary for Dec 23rd 2017. I have the choice of booking this or the uniworld Christmas and new year cruise.

Since you have experienced both, which would you honestly recommend ? Regard ourselves as foodies but also looking for the most festive experience for the holidays. Thanks in advance and once again great job with the blog !

I am personally not a fan of Uniworld. I would not go on another Uniworld river cruise. It is not bad but Crystal is a much nicer experience.

Evening entertainment is key for me. On Uniworld, it was so bad, my group took refuge on the top deck even though it was chilly. You do not have this option for winter cruises. Crystal uses American or British entertainment hosts who know American and British tastes and humour. I had a European host on my Uniworld cruise with a totally different sense of what is entertaining or enjoyable.

The Crystal Mozart is different to most other river boats as there appears to be lots of small seating areas in public spaces which you can use given the rooms can be small and dark. On Uniworld, it is just the one big lounge with overly large chintzy furnitures. The Mozart has been given a trendy contemporary look and feel in all areas.

Crystal really made an extra effort for my Christmas cruise in terms of extra entertainment, dinners and decorations! Not sure about Uniworld.

One key difference is that Uniworld normally takes you to a ballroom to see in the New Year. Crystal organises its own party on board.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Went ahead and booked the trip and your blog and response had a lot to do with the decision. Can't thank you enough as I was a tad bit nervous of the river cruise experience, but judging by your review it appears Crystal has successfully transferred the ocean cruise experience to the rivers.

Blue is open for lunch only from mid-day to 2pm. Not sure if this was because it was a winter cruise. Even at lunchtime, everyone had to put on coats for the short hike on the promenade deck to the back of the boat where Blue is located. There is no indoor access.

For dinner on selected nights, there is Tapas a the Bistro Mozart. Dinner starts from 7pm and reservations must be made

Dinner at the Waterside restaurant - Dinner starts from 7pm to 10pm. On the positive side my experience was that people automatically staggered themselves between 7pm and 8:30pm. There are sufficient tables and seating for sure but there are insufficient staff if everyone wanted dinner at 7pm. The dinner experience was so much better on Crystal compared to my Uniworld dinner experience where:

- 90% of people queued for the dinning room at 6:55pm blocking access in the corridor where the premium rooms are located

- I found Uniworld seating was fairly chaotic with everyone wanting to enter early to grab table at particular locations. Crystal has the restaurant manager or a waiter walk you to a particular table spreading guests evenly between the available staff. On Uniworld, it was a free for all with small groups sitting at large tables, etc.

- Crystal knew how many large groups were on-board and set up their tables accordingly. It did not matter what time you entered for dinner.

The one downside at dinner is the Crystal practice of wine being primarily served by sommeliers. There are only two. On nights when a Vintage Room is being held, the Waterside is down to one sommelier. On the good side, if the sommeliers are pushed, some more experienced waiters will step in to serve the complementary wine as well; you have to give the waiter an indication that you are still waiting for the wine. On the odd night, wine was poured after starters had been served. This is rare on the ocean ships. Wine from the Connoisseur list must be ordered through the sommeliers. Consider looking at the Connoisseur wine list at the Crystal Cove bar and place an order with the restaurant manager in advance so that everything falls into place.

Lunch at the Waterside restaurant is from noon to 2pm (or 2:30pm). We seldom had breakfast so entered promptly at mid-day.

Breakfast at the Waterside finishes at 9am. I think it starts at 7am but much earlier if there is an early morning excursion or on embarkation day. I usually wander to the Bistro Mozart which has breakfast from 9am to 11am. I like the fact that I can make my own toast in the toaster.

All day food - food is laid out at the Bistro Mozart all day just like the Bistro on the ocean ships.

There are also pastries for breakfast in the pantry. This was a regular for us as I brought our own Starbucks reusable Venti cups and filled it with coffee or hot water in the pantry fro breakfast. Bistro staff were used to me asking for fresh milk for my tea in my Starbucks cup.

Cookies and chocolates are available in the pantry all day.

Edited by JohnKen3

Thanks JohnKen3 for the prompt response. I like that the dining times at lunch are slightly longer than on the MDR on the ocean ships. I think we'll also be just doing light breakfasts at the Bistro unless we have an early excursion. Good to know that dinner seating is handled well but I don't like the sound of just 2 sommeliers and having to wait a long time for refills :)