Excursions on Raiatea

vinoman

We did the Polynesian motu feast in the evening and were a little disappointed (though others on the boat seemed to enjoy it). During the day, we went to a nearby hotel (i think it was called the 'Pearl') which was fantastic, they let us use their pool and there was great snorkeling right off of their dock.

Bob,

My husband and I will be on the TP in July on the Tahiti - Hawaii cruise. This will be our third trip to the islands, so we're looking for some hotels to go to rather than re-do the excursions that we've done before. Did you contact the "Pearl" before you went there or did you just show up and ask to use their beach/pool? We would be happy to pay for the use of the facilities, or do lunch there. Was the hotel on Raitaia or on Tahaa? I wondered if it was the Pearl Beach Hotel. We stayed at their property on Bora Bora.

Thanks, Linda

We did the Polynesian motu feast in the evening and were a little disappointed (though others on the boat seemed to enjoy it). During the day, we went to a nearby hotel (i think it was called the 'Pearl') which was fantastic, they let us use their pool and there was great snorkeling right off of their dock.

Hello, I was wondering if you could give more information about what you didn't like about the Polynesian motu feast in the evening? My husband and I were thinking of doing this when we are there in April 06.

Thanks julie

Hi - We were on the Dec 10th sailing last year and missed out on Bruno's tour as well. He shuts down every year at that time. We picked up an excursion on the dock and it was OK. Transfer out to a nice Motu (which got very crowded) for snorkelling and then a 4 X 4 island tour.

As for the evening excursion, remember, the ship brings the Raiatea dance troup on board that evening and it is not to be missed. I would stay on board.

Also, remember, you will have a hard time picking up excursions on the dock if it is Sunday. You are in a part of the world that still respects Sundays as a day of rest and most businesses shut down. I'm sure, however, that ship excursions still run. Have a terrific time.

FYI - On our trip last year (Dec 10-20) we didn't see a cloud or a drop of rain. I hope you are just as lucky.

TheDee, we just showed up at the Pearl and used their facilities. This seemed fairly common as we saw a number of other Princess folks there as well as our room steward! We got the sense that they are just happy to have people there and hope that they will order from the bar, restaurant, etc. The cab fare was very inexpensive from the port (around $6). I did a quick websearch and i think that their website is http://www.pearlresorts.com/common/library.asp?origin=hawaiki

laying out by the pool and doing some great snorkeling was a great way to spend the day.

Tkjulie, as for the motu polynesian feast, it was fine but seemed very "manufactured" - ie. not very authentic. My only caveat is that others really seemed to enjoy it. We did like the fact that they take you to a private motu and you can enjoy the sunset from the island rather than the ship -- but I think if I had it to do all over again I would opt for the sunset cruise.

Bob - am considering this excursion - what time did you have to meet on the ship to take it ? Thanks !

Larry

Bob - am considering this excursion - what time did you have to meet on the ship to take it ? Thanks !

Larry

We were very dissappointed with the Polynesian Motu Feast! It was crowded with seats for only a few for the show which was just ok. The pit bbq was actually cast iron pots in a pit. The food was ok but very tight seating on folding chairs. The worst part was the evening ended at the same time for both groups...1/2 was on the first boat back and the other 1/2 waited for almost 45 minutes for their turn to return. The show on the ship at 10:00 was so much better than the one on the motu. We are going back to Tahiti in March and we'll be on the ship for the show!

Archived