Cruise Critic Podcast Now on iTunes

EditorAndrew

What do you think of Cruise Critic starting a podcast?  

101 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of Cruise Critic starting a podcast?

• Sounds great! I can’t wait for more.
    • Pretty good. But I have some ideas for you
    • Interesting, but I’ll stick to the boards
    • Didn’t listen/Not Interested

I listen to a wide variety of podcasts and would love to hear yours. Will try to listen, but trying to do so while attached to a computer is difficult. I listen in the car and on runs (and while traveling), so solid audio quality is imperative.

I understand. I'm the same way unless I have my laptop running a podcast while I'm cleaning around the house. I recently found that casting content from my phone through a Roku or Chromecast to my TV works well. But, I know that's a lot of hoops to jump through.

The audio will be easier to access if we syndicate to iTunes and other podcast providers. But we wanted to limit this initial run to our community.

Thanks for the feedback.

I love the idea of the Podcasts. I find that I can listen at my leisure, and if the topics are varied then I can pick and choose what and when I listen to.

I have utilized podcasts in the past for information about a location to go to, or even have used them as instructional guides.

With Cruise Critic, the Podcasts could be constructed with endless possibilities.

Such as:

Places to go, things to see, personal experiences, room service/dining pitfalls, excursions, how to's..... and of course the types of topics that were already experimented with.... drink packages, buffet information, etc. It seems rare now in this day and age that most travelers don't have some form of electronic device with them. Ipad, Ipod, Kindle, Smart Phone....and more and more cruise lines are trying to improve their internet connections (river cruises already do a pretty good job of that)...this would again afford the opportunity to listen to something of interest (maybe even about that particular cruise or travels I am on at the time etc). Don't have the electronic device, or just don't want to listen to a podcast, that is always a viable alternative.

Great Idea....!!!!

So far, all of your podcasts are interesting and educational. I would suggest keeping tabs on your audio quality. I'm hearing quite a bit of room echo, especially on drink packages 101 and buffets. You may want to consider different microphones, a different space to do your recordings, or some audio editing software that can address some of these sound artifacts.

I agree....lot's of echo, low volume, maybe even having those doing the recordings slow their speech a bit. I realize this is just a trial, but think the audio needs to be a crucial part of the presentation overall.

Yes, the podcasts are easy and fun to listen to at work.

I'd be interested in podcasts about different itineraries such as Southern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern ports.

Nothing cruiseline specific but just overviews such as this is a good route for beaches or this is a great sightseeing port or this route is most comfortable temperature during March to May.

Other podcasts on cabin selection tips, packing tips, saving money tips.

I love podcasts and think a cruise critic one would be great! I think it could help us current users and maybe bring more people to the site too! Great idea.(:

I have listened to a few and found them interesting, looking forward to more.:D

Thank you for the support! Glad you enjoyed it. :D

Yes, the podcasts are easy and fun to listen to at work.

I'd be interested in podcasts about different itineraries such as Southern Caribbean, Western Caribbean, Eastern Caribbean, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern ports.

Nothing cruiseline specific but just overviews such as this is a good route for beaches or this is a great sightseeing port or this route is most comfortable temperature during March to May.

Other podcasts on cabin selection tips, packing tips, saving money tips.

Destination advice has been a popular request. I'll definitely relay the suggestion to my team. Thanks for the suggestion. :)

I agree....lot's of echo, low volume, maybe even having those doing the recordings slow their speech a bit. I realize this is just a trial, but think the audio needs to be a crucial part of the presentation overall.

Thanks for the feedback. We're thinking of ways to tighten up our presentation. I'm open to any suggestions from audio gurus in our ranks as well.

I've been doing some research and brainstorming for recording with limited office space, but I'd love to hear what the community comes up with.

As an avid podcast listener (I typically listen to around 90 min of audio a day), I'm mildly interested but don't plan to subscribe as I'm already saturated with other podcasts. My interest in Cruise Critic is cyclical- I start visiting the boards after I book a cruise, hang out until I go, and then tend to disappear until I book the next one.

I would echo the comments you've already received and add one. Make sure this is something that will be released regularly and you have enough topics to last. I see many podcasts that run for a year and then just stop, or are "monthly" but come out every two or three months. I think many topics for cruising can be revisited because of the number of companies, ship and itineraries. So I wouldn't be afraid to remake certain ones. I'd rather hear something newer that has little tidbits of information from a recent cruise, than one two years old because the thought is buffets are the same as they were.

Thanks for the feedback. We're thinking of ways to tighten up our presentation. I'm open to any suggestions from audio gurus in our ranks as well.

I've been doing some research and brainstorming for recording with limited office space, but I'd love to hear what the community comes up with.

My husband is a media director and works with stuff like this all the time. I asked his input as to how to clear up the quality and here was what he said. (Some things sound foreign to me so if you have any questions feel free to ask and he can clarify.)

"The audio isn't that bad. I can't tell if they are using mics are not. But I'd say, first, unplug any noisy appliances in the room to get rid of the hum. Whichever program they're using to record (GarageBand, etc) use the EQ plugin and turn on the high pass filter up to about 125hz. This will take away all of the unneeded tones, vibrations, etc. if they're not using microphones, pick up a $100 audio interface with multiple microphone inputs and 2-3 $100 condenser mics with pop filters and use the multi-track recording option in their program. Get as close to the mic as possible and adjust the volume meter accordingly, so there are no red bars showing (even when speaking loudly). Staying as close as possible to the mic will ensure a consistent volume level throughout the podcast. If both hosts use headphones during the podcast through the monitoring output on the interface, they'll be more aware of what not to do and what sounds good as well."

I hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

As an avid podcast listener (I typically listen to around 90 min of audio a day), I'm mildly interested but don't plan to subscribe as I'm already saturated with other podcasts. My interest in Cruise Critic is cyclical- I start visiting the boards after I book a cruise, hang out until I go, and then tend to disappear until I book the next one.

Thanks for the feedback we'll definitely be factoring in seasonality when planning future episodes and releases.

I would echo the comments you've already received and add one. Make sure this is something that will be released regularly and you have enough topics to last. I see many podcasts that run for a year and then just stop, or are "monthly" but come out every two or three months. I think many topics for cruising can be revisited because of the number of companies, ship and itineraries. So I wouldn't be afraid to remake certain ones. I'd rather hear something newer that has little tidbits of information from a recent cruise, than one two years old because the thought is buffets are the same as they were.

Good point. We wouldn't want to have this wither which is why we're running this trial. Thanks for participating.

My husband is a media director and works with stuff like this all the time. I asked his input as to how to clear up the quality and here was what he said. (Some things sound foreign to me so if you have any questions feel free to ask and he can clarify.)

"The audio isn't that bad. I can't tell if they are using mics are not. But I'd say, first, unplug any noisy appliances in the room to get rid of the hum. Whichever program they're using to record (GarageBand, etc) use the EQ plugin and turn on the high pass filter up to about 125hz. This will take away all of the unneeded tones, vibrations, etc. if they're not using microphones, pick up a $100 audio interface with multiple microphone inputs and 2-3 $100 condenser mics with pop filters and use the multi-track recording option in their program. Get as close to the mic as possible and adjust the volume meter accordingly, so there are no red bars showing (even when speaking loudly). Staying as close as possible to the mic will ensure a consistent volume level throughout the podcast. If both hosts use headphones during the podcast through the monitoring output on the interface, they'll be more aware of what not to do and what sounds good as well."

I hope this helps!

Thanks. The audio advice is very helpful.

We're using a USB condenser mic with a foam windscreen and Audacity. Opted for simplicity.

Any tips on getting rid of reverb or echo? I heard hanging blankets helps when acoustic foam isn't an option. Also I'm having mixed results using a noise filter to clean it up.

Thanks for the feedback we'll definitely be factoring in seasonality when planning future episodes and releases.

Good point. We wouldn't want to have this wither which is why we're running this trial. Thanks for participating.

Thanks. The audio advice is very helpful.

We're using a USB condenser mic with a foam windscreen and Audacity. Opted for simplicity.

Any tips on getting rid of reverb or echo? I heard hanging blankets helps when acoustic foam isn't an option. Also I'm having mixed results using a noise filter to clean it up.

Blankets will help. The main thing is getting close to the mic. Also, if you're having a guest speaker you really need to have a separate mic for them. If you have an extra 20 dollars, the pop filter will help a lot. The windscreen is mainly for if you're outside but there's no harm in using that for now. If you do get a pop filter, put it like 3 inches from the mic and basically have your nose touching it when you speak into the mic. Being close means you can turn down the volume some. Being this close (and therefore having the volume down a little bit), the additional mic, and the blankets should eliminate the echo.

Ideally you shouldn't be using a noise filter. Near the equalizer you should see a high pass filter. The noise filter will alter the sound and quality of your voice trying to take out unneeded noise and it'll make you sound electronic or like an alien. The high pass filter will cut out sounds/frequencies below a certain pitch. Having your high pass filter between 100 and 125 hz will get rid of unneeded noise like if you accidentally bump the mic, etc. It won't get rid of background noises though, you just have to make sure all appliances/furnace/air/etc is off.

Hello Cruise Critic Community:

The editors at Cruise Critic are considering a podcast centered on cruise travel. Here is the audio we’ve produced thus far.

We would love to hear your thoughts!

Is a Cruise Critic podcast something you would be interested? What topics would you like to hear? Did you have a favorite episode?

Please fill out this survey and/or share your thoughts in this thread.

I listened to 2-3 podcasts a few years ago (music, something else I don't remember.) Quickly realized that listening to a podcast was even more boring than watching tv. I carry Rick Steves tapes with me in Rome, Florence, etc and if you could do something as interesting and useful I might listen. But probably not.

Blankets will help. The main thing is getting close to the mic. Also, if you're having a guest speaker you really need to have a separate mic for them. If you have an extra 20 dollars, the pop filter will help a lot. The windscreen is mainly for if you're outside but there's no harm in using that for now. If you do get a pop filter, put it like 3 inches from the mic and basically have your nose touching it when you speak into the mic. Being close means you can turn down the volume some. Being this close (and therefore having the volume down a little bit), the additional mic, and the blankets should eliminate the echo.

Ideally you shouldn't be using a noise filter. Near the equalizer you should see a high pass filter. The noise filter will alter the sound and quality of your voice trying to take out unneeded noise and it'll make you sound electronic or like an alien. The high pass filter will cut out sounds/frequencies below a certain pitch. Having your high pass filter between 100 and 125 hz will get rid of unneeded noise like if you accidentally bump the mic, etc. It won't get rid of background noises though, you just have to make sure all appliances/furnace/air/etc is off.

Thanks for the advice [emoji1]

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

Would like a handicapped one. Some handicapped rooms are not really handicapped. Ive had rooms where the hall was too small to turn the scooter into the room without lifting and turning it. Looking at deck plans for Coral princess its got a zig-zag and doesn't look like you would be able to make the turn. Are there any that are straight in from lobby? Looking to cruise princess but videos of their hallways look small............................RADICAL

Thank you for your encouragement and critiques.

Special thanks to everyone who took the time to listen during our trial run!:D

The Cruise Critic Podcast is now on iTunes as well as other popular podcatchers and directories.

Google Play

Stitcher

SoundCloud

ShoutEngine

FMPlayer

Blubrry

PocketCast

If you have any suggestions or requests for directories we should be on please let us know.

If you enjoyed the content please subscribe and rate us.

Thanks again.

Andrew