Question: Driving to Port Everglades

coloxray

We are driving to Ft Lauderdale instead of flying as we usually do. We have questions about parking at the port and finding the building that we need to go to for embarking. How do we know where to park? Do we need documation to show we are booked on a cruise? How long does it take to drive into the port, park, drop off luggage and get to the area to check in? Where do we drop off our luggage?

We have driven from Minnesota on several occasions and will do so again in February. What we found works best is to stay the night before around Ft Pierce, FL. Then, it’s about a 2-hour drive to the Port Everglades Park ‘n Go lot. If you make advance reservations online it’s $8.99/day. We used to use a Park ‘n Cruise hotel. But, we always seemed to just miss the hotel shuttle and had (what seemed to be) a long wait for the next one. The Park ‘n Go shuttles seem to be almost continuous.

That's what I did my last two cruises out of FLL. I drove and stopped at Ft. Pierce and Stewart. Hotel was about $70 per night not $175 during snowbird season in FLL.

Earlier this month, when I used Park N Go, I was early off and their van wasn't at the terminal. I called them and within three minutes I was picked up. They didn't wait for anyone else. I was the only person on the shuttle back to the parking lot.

They also drop you off right at your car so you don't have to lug the luggage. He even helped me load the heavy one into my car.

So I second pmCruiser's recommendation.

Edited by ChucktownSteve

We do something similar. We drive from North Alabama so it's about 14 hours to the port. We drive to somewhere near Ocala, there's a couple of Hampton's there, and then drive on in the next morning. It's about four hours to FLL from Ocala so that works well getting us there just about the right time to board. It's about 10 hours to Ocala so that works well too.

We park at the port because we don't want the hassle of using a shuttle. Costs a bit more but we prefer convenience. There have also been several reports recently about dust from the construction making cars parked at Park N Go, etc, very dirty. No such reports on parking at the port.

BTW, there's a Total Wine store in Gainesville just off the interstate. You can pre-order and just run in and out.

Yes, you will need documentation to enter the port area. Doesn't matter where you park, you will need your ID and cruise ticket or they won't let you in. Be sure you have it within easy reach and not packed in your bags.

We parked at the port garage which was across the street from the terminal. Got our bags and walked across the street. We only had carry on bags. Check in took about 20 minutes.

Couple of other points.

We prefer the Florida Turnpike over the Interstate. It will cost maybe $15 or so but the Turnpike just seems to be less frenetic.

We always stop at the last service plaza before FLL and gas for the return trip. Just one thing less we have to do when we head home.

We prefer staying a bit further away from the port. Hotels are cheaper and there's no need to get to the port as early as possible unless you enjoy sitting in the terminal.

Yes, you will need documentation to enter the port area. Doesn't matter where you park, you will need your ID and cruise ticket or they won't let you in. Be sure you have it within easy reach and not packed in your bags.

We parked at the port garage which was across the street from the terminal. Got our bags and walked across the street. We only had carry on bags. Check in took about 20 minutes.

Actually the two times we've used Park N Go, we never had to show any documentation at the gate. Only when we entered the terminal.

The shuttle driver took our luggage and placed in on the shuttle right next to where we were directed to stop our vehicle. He dropped us directly at the porter luggage area. Then picked us up right outside the terminal and delivered us right in front of our vehicle and helped load the luggage into our car. I didn't notice any more dirt than I had when I first pulled into their lot.

But I do appreciate all the people who prefer to park at the port. It means there's still room for me at the Park N Go lot. :D So TYVM.

Actually the two times we've used Park N Go, we never had to show any documentation at the gate. Only when we entered the terminal.

The shuttle driver took our luggage and placed in on the shuttle right next to where we were directed to stop our vehicle. He dropped us directly at the porter luggage area. Then picked us up right outside the terminal and delivered us right in front of our vehicle and helped load the luggage into our car. I didn't notice any more dirt than I had when I first pulled into their lot.

But I do appreciate all the people who prefer to park at the port. It means there's still room for me at the Park N Go lot. :D So TYVM.

You were fortunate. We drove to the port our last two times.

- The last time, the gate guard wanted to see our cruise ticket and some form of ID which we had ready.

- The time before that, the gate guard insisted on seeing the cruise ticket and our driver's license. She would not accept our passports as ID. She wanted to see a D/L.

It went something like this.

Her: Show me your D/L.

Me: It's in the back of the SUV. I'll have to get out to get it.

Her: You cannot exit the vehicle.

Me: I can't reach the D/L.

Her: Show me the D/L.

Me: Can I exit the vehicle?

Her: No, you cannot. Show me the D/L.

Me: Get a supervisor.

Her: You may exit the vehicle.

I suspect the shuttle driver is supposed to check documentation.

I've gone on over 40 cruises out of Port Everglades and have never been asked for cruise ticket documentation to drive through the security gate. The driver shows a drivers license and the passengers show passports. Many people are driving through security to pick up passengers and would not have any cruise documents on them.

Coloxray, I promise you that you will figure it all out when you get there. Just ask the officer at the security gate what terminal to go to and how to get there. There will also be signs. If you are sailing on Princess and coming in from SE 17th St, you won't even have to go through the security gate.

The longest time in your journey will be getting through the security gate; you might go right through or be stuck in a line up to 20 minutes long.

When you get to your terminal, you'll see where to drop off the luggage...you can't miss it because there will be many luggage carts, and porters standing in front of them. After dropping off the luggage, just look for the closest parking garage or parking lot.

We are driving to Ft Lauderdale instead of flying as we usually do. We have questions about parking at the port and finding the building that we need to go to for embarking. How do we know where to park? Do we need documation to show we are booked on a cruise? How long does it take to drive into the port, park, drop off luggage and get to the area to check in? Where do we drop off our luggage?

coloxray...

I'm reading this thread and your posts from other boards and you're getting a lot of conflicting information and it's just confusing you more. Why don't we back up and start all over?

I think you are on Serenade of the Seas, is that correct?

What are your cruise dates and when do you plan to arrive?

If I understand correctly from other boards, you have reservations for the Hampton Inn on Stirling Road? I think you are under the misconception it's near Port Everglades. It's not that far away, but it's not really that close and it's not close to the Water Taxi. There is public parking for the Water Taxi under the 17th Street Causeway in front of the Hilton Marina for $1 per hour.

If you are on the Serenade, then you will be gone 10-11 days, so I think you should consider a different hotel that allows you to park free with a one night stay. La Quinta Inn-FLL will allow you to park free up to 14 days with a one night stay. It's in the same area as the Hampton Inn, but you will have to take a taxi or Uber to and from the port.

Sharon is correct about you don't need to show anything other than a DL or passport at the security gate, but if we back up and rethink this we can make the whole plan a lot simpler, smoother and less confusing.