Is it a bad idea to cruise in September?

StArRiNoSiTy

Hey, first time cruiser here, I'm still trying to figure out when I want to cruise, But I was thinking I should cruise in September but isn't September and October the months where hurricanes are at the highest peak? I was planning to risk it but I don't know... Anyone cruised around this time before? Please get back to me A.S.A.P!

(Planning on cruising the Caribbean Princess for 7

days in the Western Caribbean from Sept. 9th-16th)

It's not a bad idea to cruise in September and if you do, the prices are usually quite a bit lower. Be prepared that flights could be disrupted, ports and itineraries changed, embarkation or disembarkation dates changed, etc. Be sure to get good insurance and not lock yourself into anything that isn't non-refundable or covered by insurance. Go knowing that you're taking a cruise and it could be to anywhere. If you have that attitude, you'll have a great time and possibly, adventure.

It's not necessarily a bad idea. We went back to back in September a couple years ago and had nothing but stellar weather except for the first day, when we had rough seas caused by a hurricane some 250 miles away. The last couple years have been a little more dicey.

First, your ship will not get anywhere near any tropical storms or hurricanes. As mentioned above, though, the effects of such storms might be felt several hundred miles away. What might happen is that you will miss port calls, have your itinerary adjusted, or go on a completely different itinerary than you expect if storms threaten your intended cruise track. So, if you have your heart set on being at a particular place at a specific time, you might be disappointed.

If a storm threatens your scheduled port of embarkation, your cruise might be delayed or you might have trouble actually getting there. Local port authorities will close the port in advance of any storm hitting, making it impossible for the ship to dock. Sometimes the ship will stay out at sea for an extra day or two, or might even divert to an alternate port.

If you do run into weather-related problems, don't expect any compensation. Travel insurance might not cover you either unless you pay for premium coverage.

Then again, you might not have any problems at all. You just have to be prepared for changes, and be willing and able to go with the flow.

I cruise almost every year in October in the Caribbean. I have had fantastic weather on my cruises. Once our itinerary was changed from Western Caribbean to eastern Caribbean in order to avoid a hurrincane, and still the weather was great.

Be prepared that your ports may change to avoid a storm. I would not get my heart set on a particular port.

There is a reason that the fares are so reasonable that time of year, but if you can go with the flow, it is a great time to get a great deal on a cruise!

If you can get a great deal and if you don't need to fly to get to the port, then go for it. Last year, my parents had to get from the Westcoast to Miami to be on a 9/5 cruise, but although the airport wasn't closed, their flight out was on a smaller air carrier and they cancelled all flights into Miami. My parents had to pay $500 extra for a one-way flight from Newark, NJ on another airline to Miami, but they didn't get to Miami until a day later. It was do-able because RCCl delayed departure time for more than 36 hours.

But those that arrived at the port on time got to stay at a local hotel at RCCL expense. Their cruise was cut short to 5 days but they got cruise credits as well as 50% off future cruises. Lots of people had to cancel their cruise because they just couldn't re-arrange alternative flights to Miami.

So if you don't need to fly to get to port, go for it.

Thanks everyone ^_^ these forums are really useful, it's great! Whether it rains, or shines, I'll risk it! I'm all about going with the flow and about adventure. I'm expecting the unexpected, so no problem. I won’t be anal about where I go, and I really appreciate it, thanks!

Thanks everyone ^_^ these forums are really useful, it's great! Whether it rains, or shines, I'll risk it! I'm all about going with the flow and about adventure. I'm expecting the unexpected, so no problem. I won’t be anal about where I go, and I really appreciate it, thanks!

That's the perfect attitude for sailing teh Caribbean during Hurricane Season. I'm sure you'll have a blast then!

Hey, first time cruiser here, I'm still trying to figure out when I want to cruise, But I was thinking I should cruise in September but isn't September and October the months where hurricanes are at the highest peak? I was planning to risk it but I don't know... Anyone cruised around this time before? Please get back to me A.S.A.P!

(Planning on cruising the Caribbean Princess for 7

days in the Western Caribbean from Sept. 9th-16th)

You get a better deal, but you take a chance! Mexican Riviera is a good cruise that time of year.

What the heck, take a chance!

Dennis

All cruises come with risks no matter what time of year......besides hurricanes you can have strikes and engine problems and delayed sailings, damage to ship causing delays, fires.....on and on.....you just need to be aware that many things can alter or cancel a sailing...just buy insurance and go with a great attitude.

Rather than the Caribbean how about Alaska or the Mex. Rivera. Those are great times to sail and then sail the Carribean some other time.

Marilyn

I agree with Marilyn and the other posters. Unless you just have to cruise the Caribbean in September, I would suggest a different location. For instance, there is an excellent 7 night repo cruise on the Diamond leaving 9/16/06 from Vancouver and ending up in LA. The itinerary is very appealing to us and the pricing is really good.

We've cruised in the Caribbean twice in October, towards the waning days of hurricane season. The first time was 100% hurricane-free and this year we were at the mercy of Hurricane Wilma.

As long as you understand that cruising between late August and early November is a weather-related crapshoot, everything will be fine. In all likelihood, you will not be affected. However, there is the chance that your cruise may be extended, it may be cut short and your ports of call may change. If you can live with that, go.

The most obvious benefit for cruising in September or October is that the rates are at their lowest point for the year (football season starts, school's in, baseball playoffs, hurricanes, etc.), so if cost is an issue, September/October might be the optimal time to go (plus, I've heard that those are the times when there are fewer kids on board which is added incentive for some people).

I love to cruise in September! No kids and the weather is still hot! You do have to be flexible, however. We were on an Eastern turned Western in 2004 and it ended up being two days longer! :D

The enly other time of year I've cruised was April and it was cloudy and freezing cold! Not nearly as fun IMHO...

Archived