Tolls - Newark to Brooklyn

mthomp5

We'll be staying at the Residence Inn in Elizabeth, near the Jersey Garden Mall, for a night before our cruise. We will be sailing out of the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. Regal Princess 10/7 sailing.

Trying to price the cost of car service using Dial 7 and Carmel Limo. Both estimate prices without tolls which we need to include. How much would tolls cost when going to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal from Elizabeth, NJ?

It depends on the exact routing taken - partially based on traffic & weather (and, possibly weekend constructions/closure on one of the crossing ... usually, the Bayonne Bridge - but, the least likely route & longest in distance from your hotel to Brooklyn's piers)

Crossing east-bound (one-way only) NJ to NY via Staten Island or Lower Manhattan (Holland Tunnel) is a $15 toll (cash) or using/charged at the EZ-Pass toll rate (discounted to $12.50 or $10.50, as peak or off-peak time)

Staten Island to Brooklyn is toll-free (only charged going the other direction) and is free - so, just one toll or $15, that's it ... on top of base fares. Just add tips.

From hotel via Holland Tunnel would likely be using the NJ Turnpike with tolls charged, about $4 or $5 roughly *** - plus, Holland Tunnel (as above) and then a 3rd. toll via the Battery Tunnel to Brooklyn ($8 is the cash rate, $5.54 is EZ-Pass rate) - could be as much as $26 to $28 (roughly) ... I'm not sure when the toll rates are going up in 2017, but they usually do & will likely go up again (and, if not, you are lucky !)

Toll chart for NJ-NY crossing - http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

*** The NJ-NY "commuters" will come along & spell out the "exact" turnpike tolls or you can look it up at the NJT website to be precise.

It depends on the exact routing taken - partially based on traffic & weather (and, possibly weekend constructions/closure on one of the crossing ... usually, the Bayonne Bridge - but, the least likely route & longest in distance from your hotel to Brooklyn's piers)

Crossing east-bound (one-way only) NJ to NY via Staten Island or Lower Manhattan (Holland Tunnel) is a $15 toll (cash) or using/charged at the EZ-Pass toll rate (discounted to $12.50 or $10.50, as peak or off-peak time)

Staten Island to Brooklyn is toll-free (only charged going the other direction) and is free - so, just one toll or $15, that's it ... on top of base fares. Just add tips.

From hotel via Holland Tunnel would likely be using the NJ Turnpike with tolls charged, about $4 or $5 roughly *** - plus, Holland Tunnel (as above) and then a 3rd. toll via the Battery Tunnel to Brooklyn ($8 is the cash rate, $5.54 is EZ-Pass rate) - could be as much as $26 to $28 (roughly) ... I'm not sure when the toll rates are going up in 2017, but they usually do & will likely go up again (and, if not, you are lucky !)

Toll chart for NJ-NY crossing - http://www.panynj.gov/bridges-tunnels/tolls.html

*** The NJ-NY "commuters" will come along & spell out the "exact" turnpike tolls or you can look it up at the NJT website to be precise.

Thank you very much mking8288! This is very helpful indeed to get a ballpark amount. I mapquested directions and they are the same as what is suggetsed by Princess...which takes through Staten Island and through then Goethals Bridge What had me stumped was that in NJ, the directions included so many toll roads that I was concerned each toll would be costly. But it seems to be reasonable. Thank you again!

Happy New Year 2017 - you are very welcomed. If you plot this on Google Map, you will see the options - do a "what if" I leave on a Saturday morning. We used mostly Carmel for our airport & local cruise pickup/dropoff - don't forget the online coupon discount, get you another $3 or $4 off - print out the blank coupon, get the code & fill it in - hand it over to the driver on arrival ... adjust the net amount for fares/tolls due and tipping, 20% rounded up to closest dollar is our general rule.

From the hotel/outlet malls area ... which is also near Ikea, car service can take local streets to the bridge for Staten Island, w/o using the tolled turnpike - one toll for the crossing; then go straight for the VZ Bridge, which the ship will sail under in the afternoon to head out to sea from Red Hook pier - into Brooklyn, on the elevated I-278. Weekend/Saturday morning is typically light along that route - should be 45 min. to an hour, curb-to-waterfront curbside ... just a handful of traffic lights & stop signs (ok, maybe a dozen).

If you are using a smartphone, use iOS Map or Waze (also on Android) - Waze has real-time traffic integration on your planned route, follow it while riding and you will know to not being taken for an unnecessary long, scenic & costly route.

On being in the ballpark - drivers typically use EZ-Pass to speed thru these tolls instead of paying cash, but said to collect/charge the pax riding using the cash rate ... (whether they are allowed to or not) but what the heck, the difference is barely enough to cover a beer on the ship. You now have a pretty good idea & still plenty of time to plan & research - there's always good reading stuff here on this forum.

Still got plenty of time out West for the midnight countdown ... have a good evening, we are hitting the road ourself in the morning ;)

Happy New Year 2017 - you are very welcomed. If you plot this on Google Map, you will see the options - do a "what if" I leave on a Saturday morning. We used mostly Carmel for our airport & local cruise pickup/dropoff - don't forget the online coupon discount, get you another $3 or $4 off - print out the blank coupon, get the code & fill it in - hand it over to the driver on arrival ... adjust the net amount for fares/tolls due and tipping, 20% rounded up to closest dollar is our general rule.

From the hotel/outlet malls area ... which is also near Ikea, car service can take local streets to the bridge for Staten Island, w/o using the tolled turnpike - one toll for the crossing; then go straight for the VZ Bridge, which the ship will sail under in the afternoon to head out to sea from Red Hook pier - into Brooklyn, on the elevated I-278. Weekend/Saturday morning is typically light along that route - should be 45 min. to an hour, curb-to-waterfront curbside ... just a handful of traffic lights & stop signs (ok, maybe a dozen).

If you are using a smartphone, use iOS Map or Waze (also on Android) - Waze has real-time traffic integration on your planned route, follow it while riding and you will know to not being taken for an unnecessary long, scenic & costly route.

On being in the ballpark - drivers typically use EZ-Pass to speed thru these tolls instead of paying cash, but said to collect/charge the pax riding using the cash rate ... (whether they are allowed to or not) but what the heck, the difference is barely enough to cover a beer on the ship. You now have a pretty good idea & still plenty of time to plan & research - there's always good reading stuff here on this forum.

Still got plenty of time out West for the midnight countdown ... have a good evening, we are hitting the road ourself in the morning ;)

Thank you and Happy New Year 2017 to you too! We have slightly less than 2 hours to countdown!

Appreciate all the advice you've given on car service, routes and tolls! This forum is a great source of information.

Have a happy and safe New Year!

The potential NJ turnpike tolls from the Residence Inn are either $.90 between exits 13A and 13 if you go via Staten Island and $4.00 between exits 13A and 14C if you go via the Holland tunnel.

IMO it's a good choice to stay at the Residence Inn at Newark Airport rather than a Brooklyn Hotel. Much nicer and probably more economical accommodations than staying in Brooklyn for your precruise night. They have free breakfast and it's near some restaurant choices as well as the NJ Gardens Mall.

Happy New Year!

Edited by 138east

The potential NJ turnpike tolls from the Residence Inn are either $.90 between exits 13A and 13 if you go via Staten Island and $4.00 between exits 13A and 14C if you go via the Holland tunnel.

IMO it's a good choice to stay at the Residence Inn at Newark Airport rather than a Brooklyn Hotel. Much nicer and probably more economical accommodations than staying in Brooklyn for your precruise night. They have free breakfast and it's near some restaurant choices as well as the NJ Gardens Mall.

Happy New Year!

Thank you and Happy New Year to you Carol!

Thanks so much for the estimated toll amounts. I was worried each toll was $15 but feel much relieved they are reasonable.

Yes. We took your advice from a previous post and reserved at the Residence Inn. We fly into to Newark on a Friday at 4pm so liked your suggestion of avoiding rush hour traffic and going to the port on Saturday morning instead.

Keep in mind while it looks like the entire region is a giant toll road/bridge...many/most of the bridge tolls are only in one direction. (you can get into NJ for free...but it costs to leave. :eek: ) :D

Thank you Trucker Dave! Yes it sure did! Good to know it's only one way! :)

For NYC Area, MTA Bus/Subway, Bridges and Tunnels fare increase would take effect March 19, 2017.

The actual dollar increases have yet to be approved by the MTA Board for Bus/Subway two plans, none picked yet.

Bridge/Tunnel Crossings at $8.00 Cash will go to $8.50 or NY EzPass $5.54 to $5.76

Verrazano at $16.00 to $17.00 or NY Issued EzPass $11.08 to $11.52

Henry Hudson by Mail from $5.50 to $6.00 NY Ez Pass $2.54 to $2.64

For NYC Area, MTA Bus/Subway, Bridges and Tunnels fare increase would take effect March 19, 2017.

The actual dollar increases have yet to be approved by the MTA Board for Bus/Subway two plans, none picked yet.

Bridge/Tunnel Crossings at $8.00 Cash will go to $8.50 or NY EzPass $5.54 to $5.76

Verrazano at $16.00 to $17.00 or NY Issued EzPass $11.08 to $11.52

Henry Hudson by Mail from $5.50 to $6.00 NY Ez Pass $2.54 to $2.64

Thank you so much for the update!

Thank you so much for the update!

This just in, the Hugh L. Carey Tunnel (formally Brooklyn Battery Tunnel) has gone CASHLESS today. Toll booths removed, EZ-Pass or Bill by Mail based on registration of license plate.

All MTA Crossings will become cashless or as the MTA calls it "Open Road Tolling".

Open road tolling will be completed at all MTA bridges and tunnels by the end of 2017. The schedule is as follows:

· Hugh L. Carey Tunnel – January 2017

· Queens Midtown Tunnel – January 2017

· Rockaway Bridges – Spring 2017

· RFK Bridge – Summer 2017

· Verrazano-Narrows Bridge – Summer 2017

· Throgs Neck Bridge – Fall 2017

· Bronx-Whitestone Bridge – Fall 2017

Ezpass should work for all of them. The one I have works in New England, NY, NJ,DE, PA, MD, WV, IN, OH and IL.

My Ezpass works out of state as well, but I'm apparently not eligible for the discounts in NY (particularly the bridges and tunnels in NYC).

My Ezpass works out of state as well, but I'm apparently not eligible for the discounts in NY (particularly the bridges and tunnels in NYC).
Right, only EZ-Pass issued in NY get the discount. I'm not sure about this - but, did you check to see if you can apply for & get a NY-based EZ-Pass account (as out-of-state, non-resident but frequently travel in NY area & wanted one for use in a "rental" car without paying the $$ PlatePass rates charged, as your reason. No deposit if open on a credit card for auto-refill.

Link below - call & ask. https://www.e-zpassny.com/en/faq/account.shtml

If you don't own a vehicle and wish to open an E-ZPass® account on the E-ZPass® website, please contact the E-ZPass® Customer Service Center at 1-800-333-8655 for instructions.

With Cashless toll crossing coming to the all the major bridge/crossings - hoping that traffic flow will improve ... just have to watch for speeders flying thru & not even slowing down at all, until all the "barrier islands/ex-toll booths" are completely dismantled & removed for safety.

My Nephew works for Xerox who is the vendor for NY Ezpass help center and I will ask him.

Yes you need a NY Issued EZ-Pass to get NY discounts. NY Thruway issued ez-pass gets the MTA Discounts just like the MTA issued EZpass. You can also sign up on the NY website for different discount plans as long as you qualify (Staten Island Resident, various Port Authority discounts/carpools).

If you get a violation you have to call the service center that issues your Ezpass, the logo is on the tag.

I do believe you can get a 2nd EZPass, just go thru the cash lane at an MTA crossing (while they still exist) and you can purchase an EZPass.

You do not even have to add a car registration to the account. You won't be able to activate it online but will have to talk to the NY EzPass customer service to confirm registration where they warn you that night adding a car registration will mean violations will be sent to the license plate holder.

Nephew confirms that you can have multiple EzPass accounts issued by different authorities. He suggests that you activate the 2nd account/Tag via phone and not attached a plate to it. This way you can get each authority discounts that are only available to the tag from that Authority.

FWIW