Cost of one way car rentals from MCO to Port Canaveral

ahamlet

I have purchased FTTF. I booked the room and shuttle package at the Hyatt Place Orlando Airport. Originally I was told the shuttle would pick up at 10:30 and it would go straight from the hotel to the port. i received an email a couple of days ago confirming my shuttle arrangements. The email stated pickup times would be between 11:00 and 12:00. I called the contact person listed in the email. It now appears that i am not likely to get to the port before 12;30. I am now considering renting a car one way. All of the post make it seem easy and less expensive than a shuttle. However I have found the one way rental rates to be expensive and that there is an additional fee taxed on. Even if i only have the car for a few hours. I would appreciate any advice you guys can give on getting the best rate possible. Plus any advice on other additional expenses associated with renting and driving to the port . TIA

Within Florida, there is no drop off charge for another city. Used Tampa to Miami 3 weeks ago for a one way and cost me around 33 USD excluding tolls. Why not check with a few rental companies ? I rented with Alamo btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In Florida there is USUALLY no drop fee ... but it is best to check .... it is mistakenly believed that drop fees are illegal and this is simply not so. There is healthy competition for business and when the big dogs are not charging drop fees others go along or loose business ....

Rental rates are AT LEAST as dynamic as cruise and air fares. Once you book I recommend you keep checking as it is not unusual to later find something for less. Plus there are always discount coupons and codes that come and go with the wind ... I've had luck with sites like Travelocity ... but to get the best rate takes some time shopping.

I've gotten a one day, one way rental (compact) for $30 ..... put two people in the car and you've got $15 transfers ... BUT there ARE additional costs: the main road from MCO to the port has two tolls of $1 (you can pay cash) MISS paying one of these tolls and some rental companies will zap you for $20 (rental company, NOT FLORIDA) and you need to fill the car with gas (the drive is only around 45 miles); and there is the time spent picking up and returning the car. Significant to some, not to others .....

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

We prefer a one-way car rental and also rely mostly on Avis in PC (more for the corporate rate I get than anything else). All of the car rental offices in PC/Cocoa Beach offer free port shuttles.

We typically pay under $50 per day; even if the costs (including gas and tolls) march or exceed the shuttle fares, a rental car gives you the flexibility to stay, dine and shop where you want.

• Thanks 1

I called the Avis number and was connected to the MCO counter. Spoke with 2 different reps who told me i would be charged an additional $35 drop fee. Fr those who have not been charged a drop fee which rental companies did you use/ Did you book directly? So far the best one way prices have been on priceline.

I called the Avis number and was connected to the MCO counter. Spoke with 2 different reps who told me i would be charged an additional $35 drop fee. Fr those who have not been charged a drop fee which rental companies did you use/ Did you book directly? So far the best one way prices have been on priceline.

We booked one way with Budget on their website and had no drop off fees. Sometimes I can find car rental discount codes on http://www.mousesavers.com

Edited by marys350
  • Like 1

your choices in the PC area are

Hertz, Enterprise, National, Alamo, Dollar, Thrifty, Avis and Payless .....

you want the Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach location (not Melbourne or Cocoa)

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

I called the Cape Canaveral location and was told that there is no drop fee, even if i book via Priceline. I ended up getting a one way from Priceline for $54 including the rental insurance. $42 without insurance.

Edited by ahamlet

Stop calling and compare various agencies using your favorite travel web site! ;) I've had good luck recently with www dot carretnals dot com

I would also check out some of the WDW boards for FLA specific discount codes.

When do you cruise? :confused: A long way out car rental prices tend to be high, and then go through various ups and downs as you get closer -- keep looking and re-book for a lower fare when you spot it.

I book on the Avis website all the time and have never paid a separate drop fee. Maybe it's built into the price, but I typically pay around $60 for a one-day, one-way rental of a full size car. I use P3F for the Port Canaveral location.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/3/2017 at 11:51 AM, JohninDC said:

Stop calling and compare various agencies using your favorite travel web site! 😉 I've had good luck recently with www dot carretnals dot com

I would also check out some of the WDW boards for FLA specific discount codes.

When do you cruise? 😕 A long way out car rental prices tend to be high, and then go through various ups and downs as you get closer -- keep looking and re-book for a lower fare when you spot it.

Hi John,

I know this thread is a few years old, but I tried the link you suggested above.  I can't input Port Canaveral in the drop down box for the return to another location.

Also, what is WDW?

Thanks!  

On 8/26/2019 at 6:07 PM, Capt_BJ said:

PORT CANAVERAL is not a 'city' ... it is a business entity

use Cape Canaveral or Cocoa Beach

WDW is Walt Disney World . . . 

Thanks, some rental car companies do list Port Canaveral (the cruise terminal address) in their drop down boxes.  Will use CC or CB next time.