Hong Kong Disneyland during Ching Ming festival?

Lazy_Whovian

Has anyone been to the Hong Kong Disneyland on the Ching Ming Festival day? Was it really crowded?

Our cruise docks in Hong Kong on the day of the Ching Ming festival (at 1pm no less) and it's already going to be an up hill battle to get to Disneyland from the terminal. I think we'll arrive at Disney at 3pm (probably later). The Cruise ship doesn't leave until the next day (in the morning - no chance of going on day 2) so we can stay until closing time.

From what i can understand the Ching Ming festival day is a pretty solemn occasion where traditionally people honour the dead and visit their graves. So there's a chance that Disneyland won't be so crowded but i would like to have confirmation from someone that has been there on previous Ching Ming festival days.

It's still a public holiday so solemn occasion or not it could still be more crowded than usual.

Also any tips on how to get there or what to see first or how to make the best use of our time (with 2 boys age 5 and 8 who are into Lightning McQueen, Planes, Star Wars, and super heroes). I normally won't spend the money on the cruise line's tours but if they offered a tour to Disneyland i'd book it in a heartbeat!

Thanks for taking the time to read/answer my long waffling post :D

Thanks, but I'm fairly sure that we're docking at Kai Tak. I've worked out how to get there by subway. I'm just hoping that some other magic solution that doesn't involve a shuttle bus and 3 train changes appears in a cloud of fairy dust. lol.

Edited by Lazy_Whovian

we went to Disney from Kai Tak and as I recall we got a shuttle to a nearby mall, which had a train station attached, got a train direct out to another station where you transfer to a dedicated train to Disney.

Was very convenient, from memory about an hour to get there - and cheap.

Cannot comment on how busy it will be but suffice to say much less crowds than we found at the Paris Disney last August and were at least able to do a few attractions without very long waits

You should google Disney HK and read up on how to get there etc and what to expect.

First, have you checked & confirm w DL their early Spring operating hours for that week/day - currently on a winter schedule, 10 AM to 8 PM even on weekends. It's a weekday so most likely, not going to be overcrowded, school children do have it as a holiday but many are going "up the hilltops". The park is known to close early and/or for the day due to private events - viewing calendar only available thru early March is 8 PM as the usual closing time, unless noted ...

https://www.hongkongdisneyland.com/guest-services/taxi/

HK's MTR system is one of the best and efficient, and travel time from 1 of 3 MTR station with free shuttles to/from KT is Kowloon Bay station in about 50 to 55 minutes, including wait time. Add your shuttle time from KT, buying your Octopus Cards and immigration/custom formalities getting off the ship - 2 to 2.5 hours is probably a reasonable timetable. Buying your park admission tickets in advance would save you a little more time instead of standing in queues ... my guess is, with luck all the way, inside the park by 3:30 PM for a total of 4.5 to 5.5 hours, maybe 6.5 hours (only if the park is open till 10 PM). As for the transfer to/from 3 train lines, they are easy, signage is bilingual with English, mostly crossing across to the other side of the platform - automated voice announcement & clear route info are displayed ... and the Sunny Bay DL Resort Line's trains are unmistakable with the Micky & Minnie characters, etc. at the transfer point ;)

If time is of the essence and a must for the children, take a taxi at KT, lines can be just as long but you will save some time with the transfer, make sure you have local HKD (currencies) for the fare - trip time is 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on traffic - mostly on elevated roadway out, almost as if you are going to HKIA (airport) ... about 30 km, metered fare - fares before tipping (10% is generous by locals, not always expected by the drivers for shorter trip ... leave the loose change/round them up is fine) should be around $250 to $300 HKD each way ... ($35 to $40 USD). That's 5 or 6 times the MTR fares as the children will be paying less.

Keep in mind that last MTR train is around midnight, there's less frequent services late out of Sunny Bay - and, once you are back late night in Kowloon, there is no more "free" mall shuttle and the PMB route ends around 10 PM. You will just have to hail a taxi for that short 10 minutes ride from Kowloon Bay back to the ship terminal.

http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/jp/index.php?sid=13&eid=55&attFrmCate=mtr&attFrm=13&attToCate=mtr&attTo=55

DL has a mobile app, download it & use the free WiFi @KT terminal to confirm & check the operating parking status before going - and MTR has an interactive mobile app as well, use it to plan & check train status.

Thank you! That was really helpful.

I have been keeping an eye on the website to see what time it's open in April but as you said they haven't published it yet.

I would probably be happy to pay more for the taxi if it gave us extra time at DL but it sounds like this will be a gamble.

There's a chance that more of my family may decide to come with us too. So the MTR will probably be the go if that happens. From what i've heard hiring a minibus and driver can be hard in Hong Kong. Do you know if this is true?

Hiring a minivan, some can seat 7 plus the driver, is risky and local police consider them illegal - not licensed and also said to lack proper third-party insurance, so if you can involved & injuried in a vehicle accident ... on our own with medical bills & so far, as a visitor. And, from what I understand - not worth the trouble. Xber has suspended/ended 2 of its under-utilized services including the minivan program a few months ago.

http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2016/08/30/uber-cut-ubervan-and-ubertaxi-services-hong-kong-next-week

http://hongkong.coconuts.co/2015/08/12/hong-kong-police-arrest-uber-drivers-search-office

There are other private services operating in the grey area in HK, but ... not worth the trouble - one recent traveler recently use of the service and pay $3,800 HKD instead of $380 HKD for a one-way ride between the heart of the city and the airport (big difference between $50 USD and $500 USD)

MTR is fast, reliable and the stations are free WiFi-equipped - use the trains & buses and ferries to get around; and, lazy people like us would hop into a taxi for that last 1/2 mile up the hill, when necessary instead of walking, from the nearest MTR station exit to the final destination.

Incidentially, I mentioned this on the other thread recently, Ning Ping 360 cable car is closed, now thru end of May 2017 for maintenance, repairs, upgrades & cable rope replacement - expected to reopen by June ... those planning to go see the "Big Budda" on Lantau Island will need to take (MTR to Tung Chung station) a bus or pool for a taxi to get up there to the village, allow extra time on weekends ... no "scenic" ride over the hills of the countryside for a while.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks for that information.

I visited the 'big buddha' about 12 years ago. I think we took the ferry followed by the bus (i'm not sure the cable car was an option back then). The bus is not for the faint of heart the road up that hill is really windy and bendy. I also have very fond memories of the vegetarian banquet at the monastary.