Luggage Forward.

Shawninrye

I have just signed up to have one bag 💼 picked up at my home to be delivered to my cabin. I will post follow up. My trip leaves Saturday the 21st. Two weeks and two days. They will pick up next Thursday.

I just bought a cheap (hope it holds up) duffle bag. I packed my snorkeling equipment and I love large beach towels. I am required to lock bag.

I will follow up in two weeks on how it went. Below are the prices.

Under 25 lbs was $104.00

Is this price for collect and return? And for all pick ups across the States? And is it the same price for all weights, or is yours a lesser price?

My bag will be collected and delivered in the UK for roughly that price, if I can work out the exchange correctly, but it's for under 23 kilos, which I think is about 50lbs.

I use the firm suggested by the cruise line.

Usually when using the carrier recommended by the cruise line you are restricted to shipping nothing but clothing or shoes. Reading the T&C of Luggage Forward it does appear that snorkeling gear is acceptable. And while they do state that either soft or hard luggage can be used (other than for a bicycle) I would be worried that a "cheap duffel bag" might be deemed insufficient by the pick-up driver for irregular-shaped items such as masks, fins and snorkels--I hope those beach towels provide a lot of padding.

Usually when using the carrier recommended by the cruise line you are restricted to shipping nothing but clothing or shoes. Reading the T&C of Luggage Forward it does appear that snorkeling gear is acceptable. And while they do state that either soft or hard luggage can be used (other than for a bicycle) I would be worried that a "cheap duffel bag" might be deemed insufficient by the pick-up driver for irregular-shaped items such as masks, fins and snorkels--I hope those beach towels provide a lot of padding.

Why do you think you need padding around snorkeling equipment? Ours always travels in duffel bags without any padding and in over 20 years have never had any issues. The stuff is very flexible, in fact sometimes we use the fins and snorkels as padding for other items.

https://app.luggageforward.com/trips/new?orig=228&dest=228&orig_city=Rye&orig_state=NH&dest_city=Tampa&dest_state=FL&afi=KCAQ6W4PRRFG

LEG 1

$0

Origin

The origin is a cruisePickup from a cruise

Destination

The destination is a cruiseDeliver to a cruise

CRUISE LINEPORT

Don't see your port? Please call to book.

Luggage

BAG/ CASEQTY. BASICPRICE PER BAG

Small Bag

25 lbs / 11 kg

$104

Standard Bag

50 lbs / 22 kg

$124

Oversize Bag

75 lbs / 34 kg

$164

Standard Golf Bag

40 lbs / 18 kg

$119

Large Golf Bag

50 lbs / 22 kg

$124

Skis/ Snowboard

25 lbs / 11 kg

$104

Double Skis/ Board

40 lbs / 18 kg

$149

Bicycle Case

65 lbs / 29 kg

$199

Don’t see your item here? Visit our bag calculator.

Don't know how to cut and paste lol.

So this is one way price.

It was more to have delivered to a cruise ship.

I think the weight and distance is taken into consideration when they calculate cost.

Below are the various costs from Rye NH to Tampa Fl cruise ship.

I will say a prayer when they pick it up that the seams hold lol.

May put everything in a plastic bag for a real ghetto trip!

Some cruise lines, such as HAL, actually provide luggage forwarding as a perk with some of their longer cruises. Personally, we do not think it makes a lot of sense unless one is on the road and does not want to lug all that luggage for many weeks. Bottom line is most airlines charge $25 or 50 pounds. And even if you need an extra bag it is usually $40 for a 2nd 50 pounds per person. The OP is paying $104 for less then 25 pounds. For our purposes we simply use the airlines.

Hank

Restrictions for (non cruise) shipping are similar to shipping thru USPS- no meds, alcohol, perfume, nail polish, certain batteries etc. need to see if cruise lines have their own restrictions.

If you're shipping to the ship then back could simply pack in a box.

Sent (LAX-Rome-LAX) DD an 18x18x24 box bought from Walmart. She sent it back a few weeks ago. All edges were taped for strength. The box had about half a roll of tape by the time it returned home.

Luggage Express was extremely prompt and we got tracking notifications.

Edited by SadieN

I'm paying £30+ £6 tax (VAT) for one way, door to ship, so probably $50 to $60 depending on exchange rates; the suitcase weighs 21 1/2 k, or just under 50lb.

Probably because the company covers a country just the size of one US State, and it is all done by road. Yes, the no meds, alcohol, tobacco is part of the contract.

We do this because as we age, we find it difficult changing trains where cases have to be lifted in and out of doors, and on to luggage racks. The cases will be collected 6 days before we travel, and should be waiting by our cabin. :cool:

I'm paying £30+ £6 tax (VAT) for one way, door to ship, so probably $50 to $60 depending on exchange rates; the suitcase weighs 21 1/2 k, or just under 50lb.

Probably because the company covers a country just the size of one US State, and it is all done by road. Yes, the no meds, alcohol, tobacco is part of the contract.

We do this because as we age, we find it difficult changing trains where cases have to be lifted in and out of doors, and on to luggage racks. The cases will be collected 6 days before we travel, and should be waiting by our cabin. :cool:

We agree, that traveling on trains with luggage is difficult...even for many younger folks. It is one of the reasons, that when we travel around Europe (including the UK) we prefer to have a rental car. We have long argued that European trains are not the panacea claimed by many travelers...although they are fine for simply getting from Point A to Point B (assuming that those points even have train service).

Hank