First time at Grand Cayman, Need suggestions

Mjunique4u

We have been on many cruises over the years but this is the first time we will be going to the Cayman Island. Looking for suggested placed to see, things to do, excursions ect. Should we get a day pass at a resort or a tour? We will be on the Norwegian Epic departing 1/14 celebrating my husbands birthday and I want to make it special for him so all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!! :)

Melissa

We really enjoyed a helicopter flight over the island and cruise ships. We also saw all the folks interacting with the sting rays, which is another popular tour. The Cayman government restricts the number boats/people that can swim with sting rays to protect them.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We have been on many cruises over the years but this is the first time we will be going to the Cayman Island. Looking for suggested placed to see, things to do, excursions ect. Should we get a day pass at a resort or a tour? We will be on the Norwegian Epic departing 1/14 celebrating my husbands birthday and I want to make it special for him so all comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thank you!! :)

Melissa

Stingray city and starfish beach for your first time sounds about right.

What a great experience.

What do you want to do there? Beaches are free and there is PLENTY of beach space! The bus to the beach is $2.50 pp...very easy and reliable.

If you want to do the stingrays, or starfish, you will need some sort of excursion, whether through the ship or private...google those things for the private options. The Turtle Farm is easily reached by bus...no excursion needed.

Shopping is an easy walk. A guidebook from your local library will really be of help! It's in the "reference" section.

• 2 weeks later...

no resort is Cayman sells a 'day pass' as seen at say, Cozumel ..... just not a 'thing' in Cayman. Closest this is probably going to Royal Palms .... (cabana available and an adult only pool just off the beach but NOT all inclusive)

what does he like to do?

Cayman is famous for stingray city .... kind of a tourist trap IMO but MANY others like it

Cayman is the 'high end' island of the Caribbean .... shopping is great if looking for a Rolex and you know your prices.

Cayman is super safe to explore on your own

Cayman is super easy to DIY snorkeling at Eden Rock or Sunset House or Cemetery Beach (best place depends on your skill set)

Good places to eat:

Guy Harvey's place: http://guyharveysgrill.com/

My Bar at Sunset House: http://www.whatshot.ky/2014/09/sunset-house-my-bar-a-legendary-local-favorite/

http://www.sunsethouse.com/resort/seaharvest-and-my-bar.htm

Paradise Grill: http://paradiserestaurant.ky/

{PLEASE do not spend your first visit to Grand Cayman at M'ville or Hard Rock .... PLEASE NO.}

When I bring a first timer we walk to Sunset House do some snorkeling then libate (share libations) at My Bar .... ( IME if buying from the bar they will let you use the pool for free unless it is a VERY crowded day (unusual) or being used for a SCUBA class. Just ask nicely and IME they always say "sure" ....)

Edited by Capt_BJ

We do the Rays, Reef and Rum Point Tour just about every time we go to GC.

Have never been disappointed!

http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/our-tours

Another touristy place is the post office with post cards from, yup, you guessed it, HELL. It supposed was named because the island had stlagmights (sp) that looked like that place might look like. The standard joke is, tourist would go there and mail a postcard home letting them tell the home folks, 'YUP !! I've been to HELLL'. And that about describes the temps in the GC. I love the place but it takes a day or so to get used to the humidity. But, a day trip wouldn't be that bad, and Seven mile beach is one of the most beautiful beaches in this part of the Caribbean. Georgetown, the main city and shopping area on GC is a lot of fun to shop, but the money exchange is kinda steep, takes 1.40US to buy a Cayman dollar :( Ouch!!

Mac

$1.20 US = $1 CI

US $10 = $8 CI

US $20 = $16 CI

the rate is 'fixed' ... this conversion is the rate you should get 'on the street' ... officially the rate is $1US = .83CI (KYD officially)

So when you see prices in CI, add 20% for your US conversion and if a rest' know that most places will automatically add the tip (esp' if you use a credit card) so then it appears like a 40% markup in total!