Definition of Travel Companions

sctexan

We are going on a June 2018 Alaskan cruise with my parents. We live in South Carolina and they live in Texas. We will be flying to Seattle and they will be driving their RV. We are, obviously, all booked on the same cruise.

Are they considered our travel companions for travel insurance purposes? Or should we all buy travel insurance together as opposed to my parents buying a policy and my family buying a policy. We've never done this before so I'm a little confused.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, does anyone have a recommended insurer that handles pre-existing conditions. My step-dad has COPD and while he is just fine right now, things could be different 18 months from now.

Thanks!

Edited by sctexan

Are they considered our travel companions for travel insurance purposes? Or should we all buy travel insurance together as opposed to my parents buying a policy and my family buying a policy. We've never done this before so I'm a little confused.

Thanks!

Do you want to be on one policy together? Think it depends on how you guys want to do it. If you and spouse are in cabin 1, and ur mom and dad are in cabin 2; if your dad can't go, will you still go? If the answer is yes, I would probably get insurance separately; I assume you are paying for your cabins separately. The only reason I could see putting you all on one policy is if your parents not going will stop you from going. But with you guys coming from separate places and staying in separate cabins I'd be inclined to book separate policies. If your flight is delayed it won't affect your parents and vice versa.

But def call rather than booking online if you try to get on one policy together or have questions. And your dad needs to get on this ASAP, there is a short window to book the policy based on when you book the trip if you want pre-existing conditions covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

If you and spouse are in cabin 1, and ur mom and dad are in cabin 2; if your dad can't go, will you still go? If the answer is yes, I would probably get insurance separately; I assume you are paying for your cabins separately. The only reason I could see putting you all on one policy is if your parents not going will stop you from going.

Unless we are already in Seattle or on our way to Seattle, we would probably not go. So I'm thinking that we all need to be on one policy.

I'll get with my mom on Monday and get travel insurance locked in.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Edited by sctexan

At the risk of repeating one's self, the answer to the OP's question is "read the policy." Pay particular attention to the "definitions" as well as the relevant sections. Keep in mind that there are many different trip policies (issued by dozens of different insurance companies) so there is no generic answer to a generic question. Each policy is unique and the real trick is to find the policy that best fits your personal needs/wants. While experts like "Steve" can certainly help guide you through the minefield of policies, in the final analysis one should conduct their own due diligence.

Hank

I'm sure the OP has received good advice from Steve by now. For others interested in this little detail, below is Steve's reference page on the matter. The main point to note is that in the OP's case, their traveling companions are family, and as such would fall under the Family Member definition in their policies first, not the traveling companion definition. Most policies limit companions to sharing the same accommodations. (Room/cabin). Just being on the same itinerary does not necessarily meet the Traveling Companion definition; but each policy is different. You have to read their Definition section to know.

https://tripinsurancestore.com/your-family-member-or-traveling-companion/

Edited by cherylandtk

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Steve was super helpful. If anyone is interested, we ended up purchasing a seperate policy from my parents. We also made sure that our policy included cancel for any reason as well.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk