Food concerns on Jewel!

Hey, I will be going on my first ever cruise with my partner in May 2017 to the Greek Islands with the Jewel. I have read lots and lots of reviews, comments etc, with most being positive. However just don't understand how someone can say the food in Tides and/or Windjammer is absolutely rubbish and below standard, then next review says its the best thing ever.! I realise this is a very personal, subjective thing...but so many extreme reviews... Has anybody got any photos etc of food portion sizes and very recent menus...??

For what its worth, crews change. I've been on Jewel twice, with a 3rd cruise booked. In the dining room the 2012 cruise the food was very good and the service was the best ever. In 2014 the food was OK, but the dining room service was the worst ever.

I love Jewel's Windjammer, its one of the nicest looking and laid out for the number of people on board. I've had a couple of good dinners there as well. Now, I don't know if the food is drastically different during her European summers.

Windjammer is a buffet. They have a wide variety of options. Pretty much anything you could want at breakfast, standard lunch (sandwiches, burgers, pizza, salad, pasta, etc). Dinner typically mimics the MDR menu with some standards added in.

On a Greek Isles cruise you'll most likely find a few more European items as the passengers will most likely be from that area. You can always find something to eat.

Overall, I'd say the good is fine. It's not 5 star eating. It's mass produced items to try to please a wide variety of tastes. It's not horrible and some things are better than others. You will not go hungry. Just keep your expectations within a reasonable range and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Recently returned from a TA in November on the Jewel. The Windjammer food was good. There were a lot of Indian dishes...a lot of curries.

I was not over the top with the menus in the MDR. I was usually able to select something from the menu. If you let the waiter know you have preferences they are usually very eager to please.

What times is the windjammer open?

When we return hungry from a port day (we are on a southern port-intensive itinerary) at about 4pm what food will be available?

This is our first time on a RC ship and I get the feeling that "free" snacks and good between meal food is hard to find.

Thanks!!

Edited by OntarioTraveller

When we return hungry from a port day (we are on a southern port-intensive itinerary) at about 4pm what food will be available?

This is our first time on a RC ship and I get the feeling that "free" snacks and good between meal food is hard to find.

Thanks!!

On Jewel this seemed to vary quite a bit more than I have seen on some ships. We got into Barbados early and the ship allowed passengers ashore about 8am. I went to the WJ at 7am and it wasn't open yet! Ive never been unable to go there before leaving on a port day.

Thanks!!

Here are Compasses with schedule of food venues:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=51690549#post51690549

Thanks!!

See Bob's link to the Compass but you should be able to get snacks at Windjammer, Solarium and Caffe-Lattitudes.

I wouldn't worry too much. Windjammer is cheap buffet food, nothing more or less. It's fine for any meal, although a bit crowded at times.

As long as your expectations are in line then you will be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, I will be going on my first ever cruise with my partner in May 2017 to the Greek Islands with the Jewel. I have read lots and lots of reviews, comments etc, with most being positive. However just don't understand how someone can say the food in Tides and/or Windjammer is absolutely rubbish and below standard, then next review says its the best thing ever.! I realise this is a very personal, subjective thing...but so many extreme reviews... Has anybody got any photos etc of food portion sizes and very recent menus...??

A. It's buffet food so someone who eats right after something is put out will prob end up with better tasting food than when food had been out for a while. But I think the wide variety if comments comes down to personal preferences and expectations. I don't care for buffet food other than breakfast and a salad bar for lunch. So when I stop at the windjammer if the food is perfectly fine, I'll feeling positive about it since my expectations were low to begin with. I see this happening in the MDR too, i like relatively simple dishes either vegetarian or with chicken. Don't like lobster or steak so never order those anyway. But someone else who loves lobster and steak may walk away upset by the food because lobster is no longer free or the steak is poor quality.

Since no one answered the OP's question. I'll try. We were able to get lunch at the WJ on our September Jewel cruise after visiting a port. 4 pm maybe pushing it since lunch technically ends at 3 pm. They take the lunch buffet one line at a time. So generally there was some food available close to 4 pm. They kept the sweets out longer so they should be available at 4 pm. The Solarium snack area opens at 4 pm. Pizza (kinda doughy), Kummelweck (roast beef) sandwiches and cookies were generally available daily.

If the Windjammer seems crowded to you, keep going toward the back and there is a great outdoor eating area at the back of the ship. One of the best features of this class of ship.

Also covered outdoor WJ seating in front to the right of the main entrance. Both are usually available later in the lunch seating.

I was on Jewel in November and I'll be back on her in June...... the outside seating area at the back of the WJ which no one seems to know about is great.

Lovely ship. Elegant dining room

IMG_6164-M.jpg